ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Craft Beer

Just Shiner here in CC and Alaskan Big Mountain Pale..My brother in Matsu Valley got me started on this stuff..not bad.. still a Shiners guy when I do drink..

Hook'em

Shiner is not a real Texas beer. Sold many years ago to the guy who crafted the Corona ad campaign. His family wouldn't give him a bigger role, but he got enough money to buy Shiner, which was horrible, and make it drinkable. He now lives in SA. A friend of mine told me in the 70's that the great thing about Shiner was you never knew what it would taste like.

If any of get the opportunity. Go get dinner at Pecan St. Brewery in Johnson City. They have a few of their own beers on tap and great food.

My parents live in the town that Revolver's brewery is in. I've liked everything I've had from there.

Right now in my fridge I have some "The One They Call Zoe" (from Hops & Grain here in Austin) and some Black Thunder (from Austin Beerworks, also from here in Austin) along with some home brew that my brother, dad, and cooked up when I was up visiting for Thanksgiving.

Maybe I'll consider drinking them while watching the basketball team again now that I've convinced myself that I'm not the one cursing the team when I watch. That OU game I went to, followed by a few of the ones soon after, scarred me pretty badly, but they seem to be pretty well cursed without my help lately.

Went to a game-and-a-half of the baseball double-header this past weekend though!

This " Crafted Beer Thing" must be a Generation thing, in the old days nobody gave a hoot what kinda beer ya drink-ed, Have a Hamm's or a Falstaff or a Stroh's or a Schlitz tallboy or just get a keg of Lone Star and tell them to get the band rollin...I can't see paying more for a crafted beer unless ya trying to present a image of something or someone or ya just like beer.. it all comes out at the end and ya Kidney doesn't know the different, ya can piss away Crafted or Reg beer, I think someone coined "Crafted" for " Home Brew".... if that's the truth than a whole lotta people out on Lake Austin and Lake Travis made a shitload of it in the 50's and 60's, 70's, I guess I shoulda save my Uncle's recipe, had a kick to it like a sorta " Fruity Baby Duck type beer flavor...

Hook'em

Originally posted by CaptainZigZag:
Throughout this deteriorating season my brew of choice has downgraded....now pounding Natty Light. It's like sex in a boat...****ing close to water.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Sounds like someones pounding you in a boat close to water!

you-are-going-to-die-threat-two-fingers-on-neck-viggo-mortensen-eastern-promises_zpss6ehztc0.gif

Hook'em

Originally posted by bschroed21:
If any of get the opportunity. Go get dinner at Pecan St. Brewery in Johnson City. They have a few of their own beers on tap and great food.
2nd this ^

Right down 281 in Blanco is the Real Ale brewery which has a couple good ones and a couple...umm.....acquired taste brews. Uptown Blanco restaurant and the Red Bud cafe on the town square are both great eats or swing down to the Riverside bar & grill for night-time live music. Great hill country secrets.

Texas 1972....you have that completely backwards. You are correct that Shiner is no longer a Texas beer. However, it was fabulous until it was sold.It did vary some from case to case, but they were all great. Shiner Boch only came out once a year when they drained the vats and it was much anticipated.

As to the guy that created the Corona ad campaign.....that guy was a genius. Until that time it was considered the lowest of the low in Mexico. Corona and Carta Blanca were the only beers in any Mexican Boys town I ever went to.Sort of like making folks think Jose Cuervo was good tequila.Fact is Cuervo isnt even real tequila. It is blended with vodka or some other such. Try as you might you cannot find a Cuervo Label that says...100% agave

If you are an IPA fan or fan of beer with lots of hops, I love Southern Star Pinebelt Pale Ale. It comes in a 4 pack of 16 0z. cans. The can is brown. I have tasted nothing like it. It is from a brewery in Conroe. It is usually at Spec's. Would love to hear others' opinions on it.

Austin has some good choices Hops and Grain puts out great beer. One called Zoe is my favorite but sometimes hard to get in HTown. I have a routine to drink local beer while watching the Longhorns or Texans. Good to know there's a few craft drinkers and once in awhile I pop open a LoneStar which I know is slightly better than Bud.

I live about 15-20 mins away from Southern Star and enjoy their Buried Hatchet but yes Pinebelt is pretty good.

"Craft beer" has been around a lot longer than you think. In Colorado it's been huge for quite some time it's just now catching on in Texas. I see it no different than real BBQ Pitmasters putting out real BBQ. Let's put it this way you can have Pappas BBQ vs Franklins or SaltLicks. You could have a Budweiser/Bud Light or an Oasis Slow Ride Pale Ale. There is a difference and yes it all comes out through your piss hole but doesn't all BBQ come out the same A hole? All beer isn't the same as all BBQ isn't. Just my opinion.
This post was edited on 2/25 1:33 PM by LongfellowDrew

Some breweries that haven't been mentioned:
Community
Deep Ellum
Perdenales
Live Oak

Already mentioned but I really enjoy:
Southern Star
Real Ale
Revolver
Rahr & Sons
Franconia

I am a big time craft guy, but a little late to the scene. Past few years I have just now been getting into it.

Coach if ever in Houston try these breweries and beers. Karbarch (Rodeo Clown and Hopadillo), Lone Pint (Yellow Rose IPA), Saint Arnold ( it's a must since you're in Houston), 8th Wonder (Rocket Fuel) and B52 (Payload Pilsner). I'm a huge beer guy. Deep Ellum is a great brewery need to make a stop out there one day.
This post was edited on 2/25 1:32 PM by LongfellowDrew

Thanks Longfellow! I'll actually be in Houston this summer for THSCA coaching clinic and I'll definitely have to try those. I've had St. Arnold, but then again I think most beer people have tried it a time or two.
This post was edited on 2/25 2:28 PM by CoachEmUp64

I went through my hop head phase in my early to mid 20s. I was back and forth to the PNW all the time and all they served from Portland to Vancouver was hoppy ass ipa's and it was cool at first. Then I started going to Belgium in my late 20's and discovered what REAL beer tastes like. This monks and priests have been brewing beer in their abbey for over 1000 years. You can drink beer over there that has been made long before Columbus allegedly discovered the new world.

Beer trend in this state is running it's course and "craft brewing" will be (in about 10 years) not nearly as trendy as it is now. Most of the craft beers taste like bong water, and when you invent something as stupid as "bacon beer" (which by the way tasted like a bag of asses) then you know they're running out of ideas for now beer.

I'm more of a hop head than anything. I do enjoy stouts and porters, I can and do often enjoy Chimay and St Bernardus but I can only drink a couple. I hear you on the whole bacon beer crap. Rogue does a Siracha beer but to me these are gimmicky beers not something you go out and buy a six pack and enjoy. Just got back from Denver and every place was basically called Burgers and Tap room, Pizza and Tap room, Tacos and Tap room etc.. Colorado has a brewery pretty much within walking distance of a small community. I hope Houston get's to that point, small businesses are good for the economy. I have to disagree that most of the craft beers taste like bong water or that's maybe the craft beer your tasting. I do agree some of the breweries are putting crap out though but you'll see them go out of business like Fort Bend Brewing did just recently.

Circle Brewery (in north-ish Austin) has some good ones too.

And almost everything I've tried at Pinthouse Pizza off Burnett... so many good ones on the menu. But be ready to hover until seating opens up...

Originally posted by FlourBluffHorn:
This " Crafted Beer Thing" must be a Generation thing, in the old days nobody gave a hoot what kinda beer ya drink-ed, Have a Hamm's or a Falstaff or a Stroh's or a Schlitz tallboy or just get a keg of Lone Star and tell them to get the band rollin...I can't see paying more for a crafted beer unless ya trying to present a image of something or someone or ya just like beer.. it all comes out at the end and ya Kidney doesn't know the different, ya can piss away Crafted or Reg beer, I think someone coined "Crafted" for " Home Brew".... if that's the truth than a whole lotta people out on Lake Austin and Lake Travis made a shitload of it in the 50's and 60's, 70's, I guess I shoulda save my Uncle's recipe, had a kick to it like a sorta " Fruity Baby Duck type beer flavor...

Hook'em
They used to be called micro brew before craft brew.

There were over 4000 breweries in the USA, making many different kinds of beer, until Prohibition when the vast majority of the master brewers either left the country or started other businesses. Prohibition ends and the industrial era big companies swoop in, with modern manufacturing efficiencies, and make Model T brews for the masses.You can have any flavor you want as long as it is a cheap to brew lager. Now America is rediscovering the kind of variety that our great great grandparents and our European ancestors knew.

Yes! Europe. I've sat in a room, at a table, with an English man, a Czech, a Belgian and a
german. I watched them for 3 hours argue who makes the best beer. I'm a Belgian guy myself, but I have been to pretty much every country in Europe and the first thing I do is order beer wherever I go. He I went to Budvar in the Czech rep just to have an original Budweiser.

During said beer debate I piped up and asked these guys if there were any American beers they enjoyed and I was laughed at. This was at the world beer Olympics a few years back.

Well most of us can agree great beer is being made whether locally or across the pond. I love me some brew. Clob did you see Stone is opening up a brewery in Europe? Should be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT