ADVERTISEMENT

Texas MBB falls to VCU 54-53 for third straight loss

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
Two losses in a row to unranked mid-majors in the Erwin Center. What a f*cking joke.

Maybe we’ll get to fire Shaka’s sorry ass this year after all.

For the contract that Shaka got/stole from Texas, he should be kicked to the curb ASAP. What a disgrace!

I'm so disappointed in Shaka. I had such high hopes. He coached VCU teams that had kids playing that were 5th year seniors. At Texas he's supposed to pull 5 star talent, but it won't stay around. And he'll never be able to pull duke or Kentucky talent year in and year out. If we want to be big time, we are simply going to have to money whip Luke Walton or Kerr with insane amounts of money. This one and done rule is killing us.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
The basketball program needs a revamp. Coaching isn’t the only problem. The game day experience is atrocious. The team needs a new, smaller venue with more intimacy and intensity. Del Conte has his work cut out for him. As it stands, Texas is firmly a football school and that is the priority.

The basketball program needs a revamp. Coaching isn’t the only problem. The game day experience is atrocious. The team needs a new, smaller venue with more intimacy and intensity. Del Conte has his work cut out for him. As it stands, Texas is firmly a football school and that is the priority.
The 36 appearances in the college world series would like to have a word with you......

The 36 appearances in the college world series would like to have a word with you......

Agreed, but when the avg. sports fan hears University of Texas - they think football. That’s not debatable. Texas is a football school first.

I’ll say it again! Shaka is their friend and that does not work. I would love to see a real ass of a coach run this team. With the talent that’s here now they should finish top 10-15.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
You know, I was having a perfectly fine evening oblivious to the fact that Texas even had a basketball game. Then BBR has to go and enlighten me. I wonder if bleach really tastes that bad.
You know, a few months ago I sent a tweet to Steve Patterson asking him how those two "historic hires" were working out for him at Texas. Blocked me. Then I tweeted at the Coyotes in Arizona, the hickey team that hired him. They blocked me as well. Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

fred hoiberg is available. just sayin.

i suspect buzz williams is next. which is also a really good choice. i suspect, the choice that shoulda been made before we started trying to be historic.

i wanted to believe this year would be different. our guards looked great. i realize roach had a bad shooting night and that those things happen, but VCU shot 28% too. sooooo... yeah

I’ll say it again! Shaka is their friend and that does not work. I would love to see a real ass of a coach run this team. With the talent that’s here now they should finish top 10-15.

This. It's been said that the only leverage coaches have is pt. No, a real ass chewing in front of the world is pretty good motivation as well.

This. It's been said that the only leverage coaches have is pt. No, a real ass chewing in front of the world is pretty good motivation as well.

Look, I come from the Bob Knight school of coaching, but I'm sorry, no amount of ass chewing is gonna make these idiots shoot better. That's the real problem. We need somebody to recruit players who can actually put that orange rubber thing through that orange metal ring.

Look, I come from the Bob Knight school of coaching, but I'm sorry, no amount of ass chewing is gonna make these idiots shoot better. That's the real problem. We need somebody to recruit players who can actually put that orange rubber thing through that orange metal ring.

Ya, the "process" ain't working. It's apparent that ss wants athletic defenders. What happens when they can't shoot?

Reactions: Metcalf #2
No it won’t but when you work for high percentage shots instead of continually jacking up 3’s it will change things. Hell he doesn’t even start the best players to even give him the best chance.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
No it won’t but when you work for high percentage shots instead of continually jacking up 3’s it will change things. Hell he doesn’t even start the best players to even give him the best chance.

It's politically correct basketball. The question is this. While the administration has a product it loves, will the bottom line get in the way of their utopia?

This.

If you recruit players that are defenders, then don't be surprised when they can't shoot. It's not your daddy's nba anymore. The nba has gotten away from playing "basketball" and turned to a more European style game.

Greg Popavich said it the other night-- "Nobody plays basketball anymore...". The influence the nba is having on college basketball is the opposite of what's happening with the NFL. College football is influencing the NFL right now. Spread offenses are being run at the pro level. Less and less pro-style or west coast offenses are in college. More RPO's are being called for mobile NFL qb's.

The nba is teaching kids to play no defense and try and get an open look so you can jack a 3. What would you rather have? A guy that shoots 50% from inside the arc or a guy that shoots 40% from three? The nba is choosing the guy that shoots 40% from the 3 point line. The big man on the block--- the guy that ALL the offense used to be run through, is a thing of the past. A big man's job now is to protect the rim, get rebounds and hit an occasional outside shot to keep the floor spread.

I fvcking nba ball right now and it's ruining college ball.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
This.

If you recruit players that are defenders, then don't be surprised when they can't shoot. It's not your daddy's nba anymore. The nba has gotten away from playing "basketball" and turned to a more European style game.

Greg Popavich said it the other night-- "Nobody plays basketball anymore...". The influence the nba is having on college basketball is the opposite of what's happening with the NFL. College football is influencing the NFL right now. Spread offenses are being run at the pro level. Less and less pro-style or west coast offenses are in college. More RPO's are being called for mobile NFL qb's.

The nba is teaching kids to play no defense and try and get an open look so you can jack a 3. What would you rather have? A guy that shoots 50% from inside the arc or a guy that shoots 40% from three? The nba is choosing the guy that shoots 40% from the 3 point line. The big man on the block--- the guy that ALL the offense used to be run through, is a thing of the past. A big man's job now is to protect the rim, get rebounds and hit an occasional outside shot to keep the floor spread.

I fvcking nba ball right now and it's ruining college ball.

And the job of a coach is to run what works, not go with what's popular.

Agreed. And it ain't working. Look, nobody loved the Shaka hire more than I did. I love basketball. But obviously I don't know nearly as much about it as I do football. I flopped on this hire.

You ain't the only one.

Reactions: oldhorn2
You don't like volleyball? /s

On surley, they are reporting that ss's buyout is 24mm AFTER this year. Our BBall program is being burnt to the ground. Did anyone catch the myriads of empty seats at frank erwin beyond the first 3 rows? Is it time for pitchers and catchers yet?

Agreed. And it ain't working. Look, nobody loved the Shaka hire more than I did. I love basketball. But obviously I don't know nearly as much about it as I do football. I flopped on this hire.

I think we were all extremely optimistic about this hire, but none of us could foresee that Shaka would abandon the system that made him successful at VCU for the half-court abomination he runs now, all while failing to understand he couldn't recruit the same type of basketball player for the latter system as for the former.

We hired Shaka Smart, but we got someone else.

On surley, they are reporting that ss's buyout is 24mm AFTER this year. Our BBall program is being burnt to the ground. Did anyone catch the myriads of empty seats at frank erwin beyond the first 3 rows? Is it time for pitchers and catchers yet?

Wow. $24MM AFTER this season. That is insane how much Texas still owes Smart. UT is in a pickle with this guy. Not good! Basketball sucks.

For sure, Texas baseball can't get here soon enough!

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha

Pretty sure that's way off. His entire contract wasn't even worth that much.

The cost would have been $16 million at the end of last season, and I think it's $12.9 million after this season. Very likely still too much for Texas to make a move this year, unfortunately, barring a total collapse on the level of 2016-17.

F*ck you again, Steve Patterson. (After you die, I'm going to eat Indian food for a week and then sh*t on your grave.)

Pretty sure that's way off. His entire contract wasn't even worth that much.

The cost would have been $16 million at the end of last season, and I think it's $12.9 million after this season. Very likely still too much for Texas to make a move this year, unfortunately, barring a total collapse on the level of 2016-17.

F*ck you again, Steve Patterson. (After you die, I'm going to eat Indian food for a week and then sh*t on your grave.)

Actually, it was Perrin the interim ad who took it upon himself to greatly extend ss's contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT