ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech

Similar thing happened with me. I'd been awake for about 22 hours, and had worked > 10 of those hours. So I was already fighting sleep throughout the game. When we went down by 15, I gave in and retreated to the bedroom. Thankfully, she was still watching, and called me back after the next TD.

I had been up since 4AM that day getting my step son to cross country. Rushed back to town to catch the game. Sat there thinking "I risked speeding tickets for this sh##".
This week my daughter and step daughter are doing travel soccer during the TCU game.......I may be heard cussing at the fields and it won't be because of soccer............

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Ole Tom got hit by a flying tortilla alright! That whop ass didnt go down so well however... Good thing I am an old guy so I can remember wayyyyy back to when we used to know how to play defense at Texas....
All this talk about the old days and defense is irrelevant. The game has evolved so much from just 25 years ago. I don’t think people actually realize how hard it is to stop the air raid or spread offense. Hell just look at the SEC scores from this past weekend.
It was a lot easier to play defense when you knew the other team was going to run the ball 50+ times a game. The new rule changes protecting receivers and QBs have only made it even tougher to play defense. It’s an offensive game nowadays so you old timers need to just get used to it.

All this talk about the old days and defense is irrelevant. The game has evolved so much from just 25 years ago. I don’t think people actually realize how hard it is to stop the air raid or spread offense. Hell just look at the SEC scores from this past weekend.
It was a lot easier to play defense when you knew the other team was going to run the ball 50+ times a game. The new rule changes protecting receivers and QBs have only made it even tougher to play defense. It’s an offensive game nowadays so you old timers need to just get used to it.
And therein lies the problem.

You want to create a game that allows for teams to throw it all over the field, but you don't want to give the defense equal opportunity to exact repercussions. If the rules were changed so that recievers could but considered "not defenseless" IE--- DBs and LBs could head hunt, you'd see WRs worried about getting knocked the fvck out, and aligator arms would develop. The use of intimidation is all but gone in football. Every aspect if football should be weighed in the lights of risk vs reward.

Ex-

We are going to risk throwing over the middle in zone, and we know our star WR could get knocked the fvck out, but the reward is, huge gains.

Now, you can throw over the middle with little worry.

We have nerfed football.

And therein lies the problem.

You want to create a game that allows for teams to throw it all over the field, but you don't want to give the defense equal opportunity to exact repercussions. If the rules were changed so that recievers could but considered "not defenseless" IE--- DBs and LBs could head hunt, you'd see WRs worried about getting knocked the fvck out, and aligator arms would develop. The use of intimidation is all but gone in football. Every aspect if football should be weighed in the lights of risk vs reward.

Ex-

We are going to risk throwing over the middle in zone, and we know our star WR could get knocked the fvck out, but the reward is, huge gains.

Now, you can throw over the middle with little worry.

We have nerfed football.
Don’t get me wrong I get all the helmet to helmet stuff and agree with that part of the rules. However the defenseless receiver penalty I will never understand, especially if it’s a good clean hit. Like you said you can throw over the middle of the field knowing that if your receiver gets laid out you are going to get 15 yards regardless.
It makes it extremely tough on defensive coaches, especially the old school guys to have to change their philosophies up.

The disease has finally hit the $EC. Leach is going to light that league up.... 600+ yards passing in Baton Rouge? HA HA HA... As I said, Leach is going to be the one who makes Saban retire early.

Don’t get me wrong I get all the helmet to helmet stuff and agree with that part of the rules. However the defenseless receiver penalty I will never understand, especially if it’s a good clean hit. Like you said you can throw over the middle of the field knowing that if your receiver gets laid out you are going to get 15 yards regardless.
It makes it extremely tough on defensive coaches, especially the old school guys to have to change their philosophies up.

Speaking of hits did you see that KSU lb clobber that OK rb? That was an old school hit and I loved it.

Reactions: Hoookem722
I miss the game from the early 2K when you had hits like Vasher put on the Tech punter and Quan put on that Okie fool. Now-a-days you might as well be playing with flags on their waist.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT