ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs Iowa State game thread

Do you think Hoiberg would make a move within the conference? Would love to see him on the sidelines in the Drum.

If Hoiberg ever leaves Iowa State it will be for the NBA, not another college job.

Originally posted by CAHorn47:
Do you think Hoiberg would make a move within the conference? Would love to see him on the sidelines in the Drum.
There is a sports bar for donors in Hilton Coliseum. Fred's parents, brother and relatives hang out there. Fred has young kids that won't graduate from high school for many years. I talk to Fred's dad after nearly every game. I don't claim to know anything about what would pull Fred away from Iowa State. But it is very hard to imagine him taking another college job as long as nothing goes sour in the athletic department or university administration. Right now it is a near ideal situation with great people that appear to be all on the same page and with similar values. He still has great interest in the NBA. That might attract him some day, but I've got a feeling it would have to be a perfect situation to pull his kids away from their grandparents. He is living a dream right now and is building something special at Iowa State. But at the right time and place, he may want to see what he could do in the NBA.

Originally posted by Psyclone:

There is a sports bar for donors in Hilton Coliseum. Fred's parents, brother and relatives hang out there. Fred has young kids that won't graduate from high school for many years. I talk to Fred's dad after nearly every game. I don't claim to know anything about what would pull Fred away from Iowa State. But it is very hard to imagine him taking another college job as long as nothing goes sour in the athletic department or university administration. Right now it is a near ideal situation with great people that appear to be all on the same page and with similar values. He still has great interest in the NBA. That might attract him some day, but I've got a feeling it would have to be a perfect situation to pull his kids away from their grandparents. He is living a dream right now and is building something special at Iowa State. But at the right time and place, he may want to see what he could do in the NBA.
His ties to ISU are definitely pretty strong. Who was most responsible for his development as a coach? Didn't he go straight from the NBA as a player to head coach at ISU? He hasn't sustained the program at a high level for enough years nor made a significant enough run in the tourney to be an upper echelon coach, but, he has a damn good start.

Originally posted by westx:

Originally posted by Psyclone:

His ties to ISU are definitely pretty strong. Who was most responsible for his development as a coach? Didn't he go straight from the NBA as a player to head coach at ISU? He hasn't sustained the program at a high level for enough years nor made a significant enough run in the tourney to be an upper echelon coach, but, he has a damn good start.
No, he was in the Timberwolves front office for several years after he was forced to retire as a player. That's where we hired him from. He was an academic all-American at Iowa State, so he's smart in addition to being basketball smart.

I could possibly see the bluest of blue-blood programs luring Hoiberg away from his alma mater (or the NBA, obviously), but I can't see him going to another college program, and especially not one in the same conference. I hope he stays put, frankly. I like having a lot of strong teams in the conference. I'd just like for us to get back to being one of them.

Originally posted by BringBackRoyal:
I could possibly see the bluest of blue-blood programs luring Hoiberg away from his alma mater (or the NBA, obviously), but I can't see him going to another college program, and especially not one in the same conference. I hope he stays put, frankly. I like having a lot of strong teams in the conference. I'd just like for us to get back to being one of them.
I can't think of a single blue-blood program that could lure him away from Iowa State. Not Kansas. Not Kentucky. Not North Carolina. Not Duke. Not UCLA. I realize outsiders don't know much about Iowa State and Ames, but it is a special place. The fan support is second to none. Every game is a sellout. Students are lined up around the building hours before the doors open. Some camp out the night before. Ames may not be for someone that grew up in a warm climate, but it always ranks high as one of the most livable cities. It's a great place to raise a family. As long as he has the support he has, I don't think he's going anywhere, unless it's to see what he could do in the NBA.

No disrespect psyclone....but I would move to Collie station for a 2 million $ bump in pay.

Originally posted by oldhorn2:
No disrespect psyclone....but I would move to Collie station for a 2 million $ bump in pay.
But your name is not Fred Hoiberg. It will take more than just money for him to take a college job. I'm pretty certain about that. I'm also pretty sure he has turned away some NBA teams that expressed interest where he could probably more than double his salary. But at the right time and place, he might listen. The other possibility is that he just decides he's had enough. He has a heart condition that may play into his thinking. I'll be surprised if he continues doing this for 20 years.

One of his former Iowa State coaches left to take the Chicago Bulls jobs at a big increase in salary. Tim Floyd got $3 million and that was over 15 years ago. Tim crashed and burned in Chicago, got another gig for a 1/2 year before finally ending up back in college, now at UTEP. Hoiberg played for Tim not only at Iowa State, but also when he was with the Bulls. I'm sure Fred has talked to Tim about his experience.

Fred was a ball boy when Jeff Hornacek was playing for Iowa State and I'm pretty sure they played against each other in the pros. I'm sure Fred maintains contact with Jeff and is watching how his career goes at the Phoenix Suns as the head coach.

Fred is smart. I think he will not take an opportunity unless it is the right opportunity, both personally and professionally. With Garnett returning to the Timberwolves, it could be tempting if that job opens up as Fred played with Kevin and has a lot of respect for him. And he is very comfortable with life in Minneapolis.

This post was edited on 2/22 8:07 PM by Psyclone

I know a lot of folks want Shaka Smart, but for my money Wichita State's Gregg Marshall or Gonzaga's Mark Few have to be at the top of Patterson's shopping list.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
Texas a 9 seed in Lunardi's bracket.
So are the Aggies. Isn't that interesting?
rolleye0013.r191677.gif

"So are the Aggies. Isn't that interesting?"

Yet you guys are excited, and we are talking about firing our coach. Standards I guess.

Difference is A&M has potential bad RPI losses on the schedule. You lose to Florida or Bama and that will kill your RPI (Bama has already beaten you this year and Florida almost beat you in college station without their best player). Arkansas on the road won't be a bad RPI loss, but Florida and Bama will kill your RPI if you lose to either. A&M is also out or the "last 4 in" in quite a few other brackets.

This post was edited on 2/23 11:28 AM by utisdabomb12

This post was edited on 2/23 11:29 AM by utisdabomb12

ADVERTISEMENT