ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs ISU...T+1 edition

hookem365

Jul 12, 2020
Given Tom Herman's bowl record the last few years where he had a few weeks to prepare for one game, my expectations are higher this week. I fully expect to see Texas and the talent edge we have to prevail.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: okiehorn
Given Tom Herman's bowl record the last few years where he had a few weeks to prepare for one game, my expectations are higher this week. I fully expect to see Texas and the talent edge we have to prevail.

Last week my brothers in Austin told me that it looked like Jordan Whittington was going to play against KS. That will be huge if he can play on Friday.

Is the running game we saw against WV is starting to gel? You know our ol actually played well against WV only 2 penalties and 1 sack. In fact we only had 4 penalties total, a refreshing change for our horns.

You know if we focus on getting the ball in Bijan and Roschon's hands we should win. We've got to have someone step up and take pressure off of Sam and they're the guys to do it. Our ol played well blocking for them. If our running game is clicking that should help our passing game. I said last week the talent is there at receiver and JW being back will be huge.

Our back 7 is getting better every game DO is playing like a man among boys. Our secondary actually turned their heads around in the WV game lol

I think Dicker the kicker can handle double duty. But I feel bad about RB being out for the season kid had his best game of the season against WV.

Fwiw the weather is calling for a 60% chance of thunderstorms in Austin on Friday.

We've had 3 weeks to prepare for a good ISU team. So yeah I'm with you 100 there is a big talent differential between TX and ISU. If BR, RJ, and the ol play well we will win on Friday.

HookemHorns

Last edited:
Reactions: hookem365
Last week my brothers in Austin told me that it looked like Jordan Whittington was going to play against KS. That will be huge if he can play on Friday.

Is the running game we saw against WV is starting to gel? You know our ol actually played well against WV only 2 penalties and 1 sack. In fact we only had 4 penalties total, a refreshing change for our horns.

You know if we focus on getting the ball in Bijan and Roschon's hands we should win. We've got to have someone step up and take pressure off of Sam and they're the guys to do it. Our ol played well blocking for them. If our running game is clicking that should help our passing game. I said last week the talent is there at receiver and JW being back will be huge.

Our back 7 is getting better every game DO is playing like a man among boys. Our secondary actually turned their heads around in the WV game lol

I think Dicker the kicker can handle double duty. But I feel bad about RB being out for the season kid had his best game of the season against WV.

Fwiw the weather is calling for a 60% chance of thunderstorms in Austin on Friday.

We've had 3 weeks to prepare for a good ISU team. So yeah I'm with you 100 there is a big talent differential between TX and ISU. If BR, RJ, and the ol play well we will on Friday.

HookemHorns
I'd slow down with the "big talent differential between TX and ISU".

They have the best RB in the conference who leads the nation in rushing. They are at least as good at QB. Their TE room has multiple NFL talents.

On D we don't have a LB like Mike Rose who will probably be 1st team all BIg 12 and maybe an All American. Their DC Jon Heacock has been solid with their D for a few years now.

Reactions: HornSolo
I'd slow down with the "big talent differential between TX and ISU".

They have the best RB in the conference who leads the nation in rushing. They are at least as good at QB. Their TE room has multiple NFL talents.

On D we don't have a LB like Mike Rose who will probably be 1st team all BIg 12 and maybe an All American. Their DC Jon Heacock has been solid with their D for a few years now.

Well we stopped Chuba and then we stopped Leddie Brown who was averaging over 100 ypg. We can take take that guy. And DO is coming on strong. Yes I do know that Mike Rose is a good lb and Brock Purdy is a good qb. And Jon Heacock is probably the most underrated dc in the country certainly the best in the Big XII.

But we can take these guys on Friday morning.

Well everyone is jumping on the ISU bandwagon and talking about how good they looked against KSU the other day. Keep in mind 1 thing. The wildcats lost their fine qb for the season last month. And now they barely have enough players to meet the 53 player minimum.

Just sayin

So ya'll are saying we have a chance? Like one in a milion?

Imagine you are ISU, this is your biggest season of all time for your team. They are pumped up to come down to Austin and kick some butt and raise hell. They cannot wait to win this all important game. And now for the brakes........

Here is where my scientific and proven theory kicks in on why the Texas Longhorns are the most hated team against all the normal teams we play against: we will win this game and destroy their fantasy season. Go ask Aggy, Nebraska, TCU (before Patterson) and Ou (to some degree) how we have ruined their dream seasons in seasons' past.

This theory accounts for why we always get a team's best game.

I can't comment on our chances until I know how Sunday's practice went.

Well I've just seen that Joshua Moore,Jared Wiley, Cade Brewer, Keondre Coburn, and Jordan Whiitington have been cleared to play.

Oh and 16 players will be honored on senior day

Yeah

Hey hookem365 if we win on Friday you and I are going to prove all the naysayers wrong.

HookemHorns

Tom Herman has proven with time to prepare for an opponent he has been really good. It’s the same story as the WV and Ok St. games. If we stop their running game, we win. I think we win this one in a close one 30-28.

We've had 3 weeks to prepare for a good ISU team. So yeah I'm with you 100 there is a big talent differential between TX and ISU. If BR, RJ, and the ol play well we will win on Friday.

HookemHorns
I'm with Cali on this one. From an individual match up stand point, we should win this game by double digits. The problem is, it takes a smarter than average coach to create mismatches that give his team the advantage. And right now, I think the smartest coach on the field is not on our sideline.

Tom Herman has proven with time to prepare for an opponent he has been really good. It’s the same story as the WV and Ok St. games. If we stop their running game, we win. I think we win this one in a close one 30-28.

uh.....

when he has time to prepare.......annnnd when the other team could care less about the game they are playing Tom can get his team hyped and beat an uninspired opponent. That one characteristic seduced us into thinking he was a coach to have. It is a false narrative.

Get Bijan 15-20 touches on Friday and hurt them with Wiley a few times early. That will open things up for Smith, Whit, Eagles. But, Herm won’t do that.

Last edited:
Well I agree with the fact that we should win, Cali. I'm not going out on the limb though.

I could be wrong about this but something clicked in the OSU game. And for the same reason I think we'll beat ISU. It's no not just the difference in talent our boys showed how competitive they really are and that was the difference and not just OSU, but but WV as well.

I thought WV was a Fred Akers kind of game. Defense and special teams, Ryan had a great game. But also only 1 sack and only 4 penalties and the latter is a big deal for us I'm sure you would agree lol. For our ol to only get called for 2 penalties was great.

I really think were starting to gel and with the exception of Keaontay everyone will be ready to go on Friday.

Last edited:
I don’t see it!
Isu 31
Texas 27
Hope I’m wrong.....it’s happened a time or 2.

uh.....

when he has time to prepare.......annnnd when the other team could care less about the game they are playing Tom can get his team hyped and beat an uninspired opponent. That one characteristic seduced us into thinking he was a coach to have. It is a false narrative.
It’s a false narrative to say that every time Herman has beaten a good team that the other team was “uninspired”. But I guess if it gives another reason to hate TH then so be it.

I could be wrong about this but something clicked in the OSU game. And for the same reason I think we'll beat ISU. It's no not just the difference in talent our boys showed how competitive they really are and that was the difference and not just OSU, but but WV as well.

I thought WV was a Fred Akers kind of game. Defense and special teams, Ryan had a great game. But also only 1 sack and only 4 penalties and the latter is a big deal for us I'm sure you would agree lol. For our ol to only get called for 2 penalties was great.

I really think were starting to gel and with the exception of Keaontay everyone will be ready to go on Friday.

I think you're right. Texas defense plays well and the offense does just enough to win a low scoring game.

It’s a false narrative to say that every time Herman has beaten a good team that the other team was “uninspired”. But I guess if it gives another reason to hate TH then so be it.

I understand where you are going with this but there is more to this than saying this is just an aggy type thing claiming every time Texas wins that the other team didnt care.....

Sadly, this idea is seeming more true than the idea that Texas can dominate when they want to.

When is the last time a Herman coached team has beaten ANY top team when something was on the line for both teams? Frankly, I am stumped for an answer......We ALMOST beat LSU last year, but lost. We ALMOST beat OU this year but lost. We did manage to beat OSU this year, but are they really any good?

Ive said everything I wanted to say about this Friday. Is it a case of me wanting to believe it? I hope not. Look if it comes to a point whether it's this year or really any year that a change has to come so be it. Its been such a long year for everybody. And we've now had 4 bye weeks this year. All this off time, this pandemic going on not enough fb to watch is getting everyone emotional and I admit I am. I've said we have more talent and that we should win by double digits. That being said

TX 52
ISU 28
HookemHorns
Happy Thanksgiving

I'm noticing something that, at this point in time, feel embarrassed about not noticing long ago. The WVU game was a perfect example.

We play to the opposing teams level. It's is on rare occasions that we do not. Think about it-- think about how many crap teams we have squeaked by. How many really good teams that we have beaten or taken to the wire. OU, LSU, Georgia, Utah etc. Think about how many "real blow outs" we have had. 1. San Jose State. I'm not talking about a three touchdowns win where we gave up trash points late.
I'm talking about a start to finish ass whipping on both sides of the ball. We've only really had one of those games. San Jose st. 56-0. Ya we beat La Tech and rice by scores in the forties to scores in the teens-- but we really weren't playing complete games.
I think herman's style is chaos. And chaos can keep games close. I don't know man. There's just no consistency in our approach other than --- "we play to the level of our opposition" ......

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I'm noticing something that, at this point in time, feel embarrassed about not noticing long ago. The WVU game was a perfect example.

We play to the opposing teams level. It's is on rare occasions that we do not. Think about it-- think about how many crap teams we have squeaked by. How many really good teams that we have beaten or taken to the wire. OU, LSU, Georgia, Utah etc. Think about how many "real blow outs" we have had. 1. San Jose State. I'm not talking about a three touchdowns win where we gave up trash points late.
I'm talking about a start to finish ass whipping on both sides of the ball. We've only really had one of those games. San Jose st. 56-0. Ya we beat La Tech and rice by scores in the forties to scores in the teens-- but we really weren't playing complete games.
I think herman's style is chaos. And chaos can keep games close. I don't know man. There's just no consistency in our approach other than --- "we play to the level of our opposition" ......

You know maybe we didn't play to the other teams talent level. You know maybe the talent wasn't there. I think WV has more talent than we give them credit for. Their rb Leddie Brown was averaging over 120 ypg when we played them and they have a solid dl. And I hope during this crazy ass season having 3 weeks to prepare for a good ISU team will show how much talent we have.

You know maybe we didn't play to the other teams talent level. You know maybe the talent wasn't there. I think WV has more talent than we give them credit for. Their rb Leddie Brown was averaging over 120 ypg when we played them and they have a solid dl. And I hope during this crazy ass season having 3 weeks to prepare for a good ISU team will show how much talent we have.

What I suspect will show more than how much talent we have is how unprepared our coaching staff appears to be. We have yet to beat a good team that had a lot to play for.

ADVERTISEMENT