ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs West Virginia

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
Texas down 23-10 early. Not good at all. We aren't going to win these games on the road, we will have to hold home court.

I have no clue why Barnes stays in the zone.

this is completely embarrassing. They can't even beat a basic press. The passer just takes off and the guy he just passed it to gets trapped. This is just basic scheme, hell its common logic. When the other team is pressing you make sure the dribbler has an outlet. And how do these guys not know not to leave their feet without someone to pass it to. Its a turnover every time.

Barnes non coaching is making the press look like the most complicated defensive scheme on the planet. Oh, and then with Texas playing D, we are giving them whatever they want. Open look at the board. Got it. Three pointer without a defender within five feet. No problem. Texas is lucky WVU is shooting relatively poorly.

And broken record alert: Miles Tuner has disappeared, thanks in no small part to the inexplicable lack of a plan to get him the ball.

36-25 WV at the half.

I might be getting to the point where tanking might be the best thing so Barnes is fired. Unfortunately if we hold home court we will make the tournament.
laugh.r191677.gif

I actually think Barnes will be canned if Texas doesn't make it out of the first weekend of the tournament.

"I actually think Barnes will be canned if Texas doesn't make it out of the first weekend of the tournament."

Yeah I think he probably needs to win a couple games in the tournament to keep his job. The season will come down to Baylor and Kansas State at home. Win both of those, Texas will make the tournament. Then Barnes better win a couple games in the tournament.

I'm glad Holmes is out of the game. He's been such a liability on the floor lately. Made a couple of threes right before he got himself ejected, but down the stretch if Texas is still in striking distance I'd rather he not be an option for Barnes to put on the floor.

notice who isn't on the floor. I like Holmes but it just seems like addition by subtraction when he isn't playing. Supposedly he told Barnes not to put him back in the starting rotation when he came back from his concussion, but Barnes did anyway.

Ball game. Barnes refuses to get out of the zone. Every team hits 3s against us because he refuses to go man.

Gonna have to hold home court against Baylor and K-State.

This is exactly why I think Barnes is on the chopping block. It takes him him nearly a half to figure out the the press, but he gets it done and the team comes back from an 18 point deficit. Then, WVU gets out of the press, goes into zone, and once again, Barnes takes 10 + minutes to respond. He loses most coaching battles, even with far superior talent. Its just lousy.

2 stops and then 2 fast breaks for Texas once we go man. Geez please stay in man Barnes.

Amazing WV has a difficult time scoring once we get out the zone. Too bad Barnes waited until the final 6 minutes.

Gonna come down to the Baylor and K-State games at home. Like I've been saying, 2-4 will get the job done. We need to play a lot better than we have been.

Jeff Eisenberg tweet: Prediction: Texas gets in at 8-10 in the Big 12 but not at 7-11. Horns will be 6-9 after tonight with at Kansas, Baylor and K-State left.

This post was edited on 2/24 8:05 PM by utisdabomb12

That's 2 games in a row where when Texas gets out the zone and puts high ball pressure, we make a run at the end of the game.

Time to start rooting for bubble teams to lose.

Two games to keep an eye on .

A&M vs Arkansas. A&M is the bubble team and they are getting worked early.
NC State vs North Carolina. NC State is the bubble team and is up by 4 on North Carolina.

Mike Finger tweet:

If Texas loses at Kansas but wins twice at home, the committee won't keep them out. Tough sked with no bad losses is a reliable formula.

Turner brought in once the game is out of reach. And thats with Holmes already ejected. Apparently the better call was Lammert. I just don't get it.

NC State beats North Carolina, that's a big win. They are 17-11 and are alive now.
A&M is getting absolutely worked by Arkansas. Down like 25 at the half. A&M will be 0-6 against RPI top 50 teams, and are projected as a #9 seed in some brackets. That's how weak the field is this year.

Does anyone really care if we make the tourney or not. This is just a bad team. Time to let this season go and move on to base ball.

This just sucks. I really believed as late as last week that this team would begin to win and finish strong. At least Yancy is stepping up.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:

NC State beats North Carolina, that's a big win. They are 17-11 and are alive now.
A&M is getting absolutely worked by Arkansas. Down like 25 at the half. A&M will be 0-6 against RPI top 50 teams, and are projected as a #9 seed in some brackets. That's how weak the field is this year.
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it had everything to do with the comeback last night. I wouldn't be suprised if it helps LSU into the top 50 as well. I'm sure you heard what Lunardi said about your horns last night since you're hoping bubble teams lose.

Texas is limping to the finish. Yes, the strength of schedule is great but they only have one win against a top 50 opponent. IMO, Texas will not get in if they get to a 13th loss.

If Texas loses to either KSU or BU they won't make the tourney. If they win both of those games but lose to KU, I think it depends on what they do in the big 12 tournament. I think the way they have it set up this year the # 7 and # 8 team have a "play in" game. That would (hopefully) give Texas another win to at least have 20 wins. The conference record would still be 8-10.

I am starting to get to the "whats the point" stage though. I heard a pretty starling statistic yesterday...I didn't write it down so bare with me if the numbers are slightly off

since 2008 (last elite 8 appearance), vs RPI top 50 teams:
November and December: 11-9
January: 6-17
February: 2-11
March:1-11

In other words, for the past 5 years, Rick Barnes teams get significantly worse as the season goes along.

Originally posted by TexasAggiesFan:

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it had everything to do with the comeback last night. I wouldn't be suprised if it helps LSU into the top 50 as well. I'm sure you heard what Lunardi said about your horns last night since you're hoping bubble teams lose.
Comeback??? Aggies lost.

Originally posted by diadevic:
Originally posted by TexasAggiesFan:

Comeback??? Aggies lost.
I was referring to A&M cutting the lead down to two. Bomb is a good luck charm for A&M Or a bad luck charm for texas. Either way, it works.

ADVERTISEMENT