ADVERTISEMENT

*****TEXAS vs WV** New & Improved GAME THREAD*******

Yes, really! Texas has lost three games by a combined total of nine points and has beaten OU. They could very easily be undefeated. That said, what seems to be making you and others so disappointed is that Texas was being mentioned as a CFP team. They're not even close to being good enough for that and that has disappointed the people who believed that hype and had these unrealistic expectations.

Herman is making huge strides in getting Texas back on track. They're going to be fine. This turn around isn't going to be a quick fix. Texas has very little depth and doesn't have the type of QB that fits Herman's system. I believe that Roschon Johnson is that QB, and he'll be here next year. Also, the OL, DL, RB groups are very average and have no depth. Tech, ISU and Kansas are very beatable. I think that the Horns will be focused and will win their last three games. The sky is NOT falling and the glass is half full on the 40 Acres, IMO.

Hook'em!
I only mean it in a positive way but when you say that Texas isn’t even close to being a college football playoff team I think you are wrong. In the objective sense they are very very close in that they could and maybe should be undefeated and if you look at the team thats sitting at number four in the college football playoff spot Notre Dame I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that Texas isn’t too far from or better than Notre Dame is right now.
But yeah in a subjective sense I know we need more talent and depth and time but like it or not we are a hair away from being in the playoffs right now as it is.

I only mean it in a positive way but when you say that Texas isn’t even close to being a college football playoff team I think you are wrong. In the objective sense they are very very close in that they could and maybe should be undefeated and if you look at the team thats sitting at number four in the college football playoff spot Notre Dame I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that Texas isn’t too far from or better than Notre Dame is right now.
But yeah in a subjective sense I know we need more talent and depth and time but like it or not we are a hair away from being in the playoffs right now as it is.

Ok, I'll clarify what I meant. Right now, this year, I didn't think that Texas was a CFP team. However, in the short term (next 2-3 years), yes, I think that they should be solidly in the mix for the CFP.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
The Big XII was a much less competitive league back then.
The league had a lot more cupcakes back then.
You think so? Texas, Oklahoma, & Nebraska were top 10-15; and, Colorado and Kansas State were top 10-20 teams most of the time (back then). We occasionally had Texas A&M & Iowa State finish in the top 25. 4-5/12 teams finished ranked most years, if I remember correctly?

Last edited:
To me the biggest glaring weakness is our NT. Shows how good Poona was last year. I can't tell you the number of times our LB's have been eaten up by Guards getting to the second level because the center can handle the NT by himself. Db's are going to be fine, yes they are going to get beat, and that has to do with being put on an island a lot of the time, but they are going to make plays as well. If we can get some of the freshman now to be maneaters on the DL, then we will be fine.

Also, I would have put money on it that Sam would never be able to out duel Grier or any other top tier QB and he has done that since week 2. Sam is playing at an extremely high level right now.

The Big XII was a much less competitive league back then.
The league had a lot more cupcakes back then.
Wait..... wut? OU won the natty in 2000, nebraska played for a natty in 01..... sure Kansas and Iowa st and bylol sucked but..... cupcakes?

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Wait..... wut? OU won the natty in 2000, nebraska played for a natty in 01..... sure Kansas and Iowa st and bylol sucked but..... cupcakes?

Cupcakes back then in the 1999-2000 time frame were Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TTU, Colorado, Missouri.
It was much easier to win 9 games at that time.

Cupcakes back then in the 1999-2000 time frame were Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TTU, Colorado, Missouri.
It was much easier to win 9 games at that time.

I see what you mean. There were only 8 conference games and at least 3 of those teams were dog shit in either year.

With that said, Tech was 6-5 and 7-5 in that time...not a cupcake. Iowa State won 9 games in 2000...not a cupcake.

Baylor, Kansas, Mizzou were really bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT