ADVERTISEMENT

The Big XII the Pac XII and Fox Sports ESPN

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
ESPN announced their cfb schedule yesterday and it's their usual love fest with the SEC and this year with the ACC.

But Fox Sports announced their schedule yesterday as well. And just like last year their schedule is heavy with Big XII and Pac XII games but even more so this year.

In September they will have SC/ST and TX/SC. Dyk that last year's TX/SC game was the highest rated cfb game on Fox? And SC/ST is Pac XII version of TX/OK. This is for another thread but imo Bryce Love of ST should be considered the preseason favorite for the Heisman.

But back to the subject. In October they will have the TX/OK game.

And while I don't like the little ten Fox Sports will carry the MI/tOSU again this year. Last year they carried the PSU/tOSU game but I haven't seen if they will carry it again this year. They will also carry MI/MSU game and the little ten title game as well as couple of CA bowl games that involve little ten teams. And speaking of conference title games they will carry the Pac XII title game.

This is for another thread but I think the Pac XII is poised to make a big comeback in fb this year. If that happens it will be interesting to see what it does for Fox Sports cfb coverage. It will be interesting to watch what other Big XIi games this year will be on Fox.

Do you think it's possible for the Big XII and the Pac XII to have an exclusive contract with Fox sports? I know they have the smallest footprints of the P5 conferences but combined together on Fox they could have the biggest.

Should this schedule tell me something?

Last edited:
Yes, they will consolidate. Tex, TCU, TTech, and Baylor will join the AZ schools, cu, and Utah to build an eastern conf. of a big 12 pac 12 union. OU and OSU go to b1g. Now there could be a consolidation of conferences at a larger scale if the pie shrinks enough but I think the above is doable.

Yes, they will consolidate. Tex, TCU, TTech, and Baylor will join the AZ schools, cu, and Utah to build an eastern conf. of a big 12 pac 12 union. OU and OSU go to b1g. Now there could be a consolidation of conferences at a larger scale if the pie shrinks enough but I think the above is doable.
There's no way Texas and Oklahoma end up in different conferences.

Look that's not what I had in mind at all. Let the Pac XII and the Big XII stay as they are I don't want to see a merger.

I'm talking about Fox Sports having an exexclusive contract with each conference. I want to see them take on the arrogant, smug, corporate giant ESPN. This could be especially beneficial for the Pac XII cause they have an awful contract the worst of the P5 conferences by far.

And I'm getting the impression that the little ten is going to work both networks. Why not the SEC does that with ESPN and CBS.

The big 12 has a small footprint outside Texas. We already have a contract with ESPN through lhn. The big 12 is not going to draw much more interest than we have.

There is no reason to rule it out. A&M was in your conference before Oklahoma. Remember the SWC?

The SEC would love to add OU to the West and one of the North Carolina or Virginia schools to the east to make a 16 team league. Maybe not Plan A, but we all know OU wants out of the Big 12 the way it is currently laid out.

Its going to essentially come down to inventory. Conferences were eager to extend footprints so they could extract more money for their conference networks. Content providers went along with it because they were adding subscribers and they were getting paid well from advertisers because live sports was one of the few things that fit the old model of TV before the advent of DVR. Fast forward a few years and cable companies are losing customers and advertisers have started to figure out marketing in a digital streaming world. This is going to affect the bottom line and content is going to be more valuable than footprint. ESPN and Fox are paying top dollar for an inventory of games that aren't very appealing outside of regional fan bases. I think in the future you are going to see fewer games on broadcast and more games being streamed. Games like Texas/OU, USC/Stanford, Alabama/Auburn, tOSU/Michigan are worth money. Games like Oregon State/Utah, Rutgers/Maryland, Mizzou/Vandy, and Iowa State /WVU are dead weight and TV contracts are going to start reflecting that.

The SEC would love to add OU to the West and one of the North Carolina or Virginia schools to the east to make a 16 team league. Maybe not Plan A, but we all know OU wants out of the Big 12 the way it is currently laid out.

And your another ignorant aggie. Since when does you become an expert on Oklahoma? And when did you become an expert on the North Carolina schools?

Go back to your aggie board and pray that Jimbo will be worth the money.

Its going to essentially come down to inventory. Conferences were eager to extend footprints so they could extract more money for their conference networks. Content providers went along with it because they were adding subscribers and they were getting paid well from advertisers because live sports was one of the few things that fit the old model of TV before the advent of DVR. Fast forward a few years and cable companies are losing customers and advertisers have started to figure out marketing in a digital streaming world. This is going to affect the bottom line and content is going to be more valuable than footprint. ESPN and Fox are paying top dollar for an inventory of games that aren't very appealing outside of regional fan bases. I think in the future you are going to see fewer games on broadcast and more games being streamed. Games like Texas/OU, USC/Stanford, Alabama/Auburn, tOSU/Michigan are worth money. Games like Oregon State/Utah, Rutgers/Maryland, Mizzou/Vandy, and Iowa State /WVU are dead weight and TV contracts are going to start reflecting that.
these are great points. im not sure if we will see conference sizes drop but im pretty certain that the big contracts that ESPN and the like are going to stagnate in the not too distant future. With the amount of cord cutting going on im not really sure that the mega conferences are going to be the way to go.

these are great points. im not sure if we will see conference sizes drop but im pretty certain that the big contracts that ESPN and the like are going to stagnate in the not too distant future. With the amount of cord cutting going on im not really sure that the mega conferences are going to be the way to go.

Yep, and this is the definition of consolidation in the business world. How this shakes out escapes me but I do know that I would rather watch Mizzou/vandy than most of the programming on teevee. Matter of fact, I watch nothing except Texas sports on TV. I would rather be working than waste my time on some dancing/singing/reality nonsense.

Last edited:

Tex and OU are tied politically to other schools. There will be no escaping unless the business model changes drastically for the worse. Can the SEC take osu?

i also honestly think were going to start seeing longer seasons in the next 10 or so years. maybe not the NFL 16 games but i could see 12 regular season games.

Tex and OU are tied politically to other schools. There will be no escaping unless the business model changes drastically for the worse. Can the SEC take osu?
i think if they got OU they would suck up taking osu. its a pretty good athletic school and they fit the secsecsec mold.

i also honestly think were going to start seeing longer seasons in the next 10 or so years. maybe not the NFL 16 games but i could see 12 regular season games.

Did you mean something other than 12? We’re already there.

You know what? Imo even though the Big XII and the Pac XII are struggling winning a nc changes everything. They do that and just like that instant stability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT