ADVERTISEMENT

The Eyes of Texas History Lesson for the day

It had been a long time since I read the history. I am hard pressed to find anything racial about it.

There are rap song out there by both men and women that are filthy, profess and condone hatred and glorify decadence. I guess that is OK.

It had been a long time since I read the history. I am hard pressed to find anything racial about it.

There are rap song out there by both men and women that are filthy, profess and condone hatred and glorify decadence. I guess that is OK.
It's not about what's racist or oppressive. It's about affecting change in ways that leave marks so a generation that's jealous of the people from the 60s that caused REAL change, can thump their chest and act as though they are the new difference makers.

This is what happens to a society when they have it too well off. Instead of fighting over food or clean water or shelter-- we are fighting over feelings and perceived slights from a century ago.

Mr. Overshown. You signed a very valuable scholarship to play football and follow the rules and guidelines of the University. If you comply with the obligations of that scholarship and meet the requirements for graduation, you will enjoy the fruits of being a Longhorn alumnus. If your athletic attributes warrant, possibility a professional football contract. If you do not see how you can fulfill those obligations you should forfeit your scholarship so someone else can take advantage of those opportunities.

It's not about what's racist or oppressive. It's about affecting change in ways that leave marks so a generation that's jealous of the people from the 60s that caused REAL change, can thump their chest and act as though they are the new difference makers.

This is what happens to a society when they have it too well off. Instead of fighting over food or clean water or shelter-- we are fighting over feelings and perceived slights from a century ago.
Upon further review, I believe you are correct.

I am still a little confused. I am truly trying to understand the full context of that professor's and player's beef with the "Eyes". Are the racial undertones because the song copied a catchy phrase from the president of the university that copied the phrase from Robert E Lee? Also, was it a routine minstrel show or one minstrel show and were they all performed in blackface?

I hesitated before posting but, it is related so what the heck. "The eyes are upon you" are not original to Gen Lee. I see in the Good Book.

Deuteronomy 11:12
12 A land which the Lord thy God careth for: the eyes of the Lord thy God are always upon it, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year.

Psalm 34:15
15 The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

ADVERTISEMENT