ADVERTISEMENT

The Morning After: Hangover edition

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
So, no sh!t--- I'm super hungover. Going to BJ's to get a pizza and bloody Mary. It's so bright outside and why are you yelling at me?

For starters, we lost every single important statistical category.

Time of possession- USC
Total yards- USC
Turnovers- Texas 4 USC 2
First downs- USC 24-17

And yet we still take them to OT.

So, no sh!t--- I'm super hungover. Going to BJ's to get a pizza and bloody Mary. It's so bright outside and why are you yelling at me?

For starters, we lost every single important statistical category.

Time of possession- USC
Total yards- USC
Turnovers- Texas 4 USC 2
First downs- USC 24-17

And yet we still take them to OT.
We were very fortunate to keep it so close. Their kicker sucked until the end and our defense shut down key 4th down plays to give the ball back to us. Their coach and players made dumb mistakes too.

And just btw............ so that everybody is aware....Burt caught exactly ZERO passes last night. Pretty much mic dropping any further discussions about Burt and his abilities.

Reactions: ifpk454
And just btw............ so that everybody is aware....Burt caught exactly ZERO passes last night. Pretty much mic dropping any further discussions about Burt and his abilities.
Burt was not targeted 1 time that I saw. You can't catch what is not thrown. Not saying you are wrong about Burt...just that the kid had NO opportunities.

I think not using Lil'Jordan Humphrey more than they did is a mistake.....kid makes plays. Not using Warren was criminal. Not targeting Duvernay seems odd as well. Texas is not using all the weapons at its disposal it seems to me.

Burt was not targeted 1 time that I saw. You can't catch what is not thrown. Not saying you are wrong about Burt...just that the kid had NO opportunities.

I think not using Lil'Jordan Humphrey more than they did is a mistake.....kid makes plays. Not using Warren was criminal. Not targeting Duvernay seems odd as well. Texas is not using all the weapons at its disposal it seems to me.
Swvahorn, if you fail to get open, how then should you expect to be targeted. You just made my point for me, bud. No excuse for Burt. There were 40 chances for him to get open and he failed to do so 40 times.
You gotta want it! And I don't know how badly Burt wants it.

Swvahorn, if you fail to get open, how then should you expect to be targeted. You just made my point for me, bud. No excuse for Burt. There were 40 chances for him to get open and he failed to do so 40 times.
You gotta want it! And I don't know how badly Burt wants it.
Did he go out on 40 pass attempts? I did not know that. I watch it on TV and can't see everything. I will take your word for it. And he did not get open 1 time? Not 1? He sucks then.

I will say this.....Collin Johnson was NOT open when he caught several of those passes. you got to give the athletes a chance to make a play sometimes.

Last edited:
given Burts history of not catching balls when he is wide open, I would be reluctant to try and force one to him is he is well covered......and for what it is worth....Why would a guy with his speed not be wide open every play?....if he is running good routes.....

Texas is close...real close. The thing they are lacking the most. Expierence and depth. The defense is starting to show its talent. Ellienger is showing play making ability just need more consistsnt. Hopefully Herman can start back filling with last years recruiting class and this one.

Also hope the players and staff use this as a building block. They played well at times in big games under Strong but it ended just being blips and never really leading to anything. The team that showed up last night is capable of beating ok state and OU and winning the conference. Can we show the consustsncy is the question.

Lastly I think we found the QB of the future. Sam weathered a storm last night and at the end made plays that gave his team a chance to win. It seems ovbious Herman prefers Sam to Shane just in the way he speaks about him. He just makes plays that Shane cant( or maybe won't) make. I hope they let Sam continue to devlope. To the extent the QBOTF is on the roster he feels like the best bet.

Texas is close...real close. The thing they are lacking the most. Expierence and depth. The defense is starting to show its talent. Ellienger is showing play making ability just need more consistsnt. Hopefully Herman can start back filling with last years recruiting class and this one.

Also hope the players and staff use this as a building block. They played well at times in big games under Strong but it ended just being blips and never really leading to anything. The team that showed up last night is capable of beating ok state and OU and winning the conference. Can we show the consustsncy is the question.

Lastly I think we found the QB of the future. Sam weathered a storm last night and at the end made plays that gave his team a chance to win. It seems ovbious Herman prefers Sam to Shane just in the way he speaks about him. He just makes plays that Shane cant( or maybe won't) make. I hope they let Sam continue to devlope. To the extent the QBOTF is on the roster he feels like the best bet.
Fair assessment but what I think would help out more than anything.....a qb that has started for 2yrs+. Havnt had one since we were good.

Once again no Warren, no field goal try early and close, refs not calling pass interference numerous times, no middle screens , untimely penalties, definitely home cooking on spots for them, wide open recievers missed and we still almost won and would have if Warren runs on last OT position. Oh yea don't field a punt on your own 1 yard line. Burt could run a reverse with his speed so wasted talent on sideline. Humphrey and Duvernay wasting away . But still proud of the heart they showed!

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Fair assessment but what I think would help out more than anything.....a qb that has started for 2yrs+. Havnt had one since we were good.
Wel sure. But to start two years you gotta start one year. Sounds stupid but true. I honestly think that's why Herman named Shane the starter in week 1. I think he figured the year under his belt helps them get off to a faster start. Didn't really work that way. You could argue maybe if Sam had played that Maryland game he would of been a little less shaky at the start of the gsme yesterday. Either way it looks like we found a guy with a shot at being the play maker at QB this team has lacked since Colt left.

I have a phrase I like to use for true freshman, 6 months removed from the senior prom. That's who we had at qb last night. You think SC didn't know that too? So there he was last night cutting his teeth against a team who everyone expects to see in the playoffs. I understand why so many fans are upset about not running the ball more. But what no one wants to talk about is that SC was focused on stopping our running game and daring this kid to beat us with his arm. He looked like you expect an 18 year old kid to look against the nation's 4th ranked team. On one possession he threw a pic. On the next possession he fumbled. Later in the game he threw another pic in SC territory. He completed a few passes here and there but that was about it.

But

that all changed at the 5 minute mark in the fourth quarter. He took his time and led us on a 91 yard drive that gave us a lead. And then in the first ot when it was either score or go home he got it done. They were focused on stopping our running game and making Ehlinget beat us. That's why we stopped running the ball it was no use. And although he fumbled on the 2 yard line which cost us the game he played just as well as Heisman candidate Darnold.

Just sayin

And let's take some time to talk about our defense. People complain about us not running the ball. Hey, what about them? I can't tell ya how much I heard this week that SC was going to rush for 250+ yards. WRONG. They averaged less than 2 ypc. You read right. We had one sack going into the game. We had three last night and throw in some tfl's as well.

And we are becoming dbu again. For the third straight week the Texas secondary scored a td.

Malik played great. Poona played great. Anthony played great. Deshawn. Need I say anything more?

And by the time we get to the season finale against TT on 11/24 Todd Orlando is going to be the next big name for head coaching jobs.

Reactions: freeper
Iowa State next. I think the week off should be good for the team but it's inevitable that we come out flat.

Iowa State next. I think the week off should be good for the team but it's inevitable that we come out flat.

Maybe not. We're on national tv on Thursday night. I think we'll go up there with a chip on our shoulder letting people know the Texas Longhorns are on the way back. Tom Herman coached at ISU also. And we were embarrassed the last time we played at ISU. I think we'll be more than motivated. We will not come out flat.

Did he go out on 40 pass attempts? I did not know that. I watch it on TV and can't see everything. I will take your word for it. And he did not get open 1 time? Not 1? He sucks then.

I will say this.....Collin Johnson was NOT open when he caught several of those passes. you got to give the athletes a chance to make a play sometimes.

He didn't play. You can agree or disagree with the coaches, but the WR depth chart appears to be something like this:

Johnson
Mapps
Foreman
Humphrey
Joe
Duvernay
Leonard

I remember seeing Burt when the team was huddled on the sidelines and thinking that his uniform looked pristine.

He didn't play. You can agree or disagree with the coaches, but the WR depth chart appears to be something like this:

Johnson
Mapps
Foreman
Humphrey
Joe
Duvernay
Leonard

I remember seeing Burt when the team was huddled on the sidelines and thinking that his uniform looked pristine.
I didn't think I saw him on the field at all. I sure would like to see Duvernay or Mapps catch a WR screen like SC was crushing Texas' defense with. I generally don't like passing sideways but they were killing it.

It is hard to disagree with your chart there as to who should get playing time. Looks pretty good. Joe has made some plays. I think Humphrey is a future stud and of course Mapps and Johnson are beasts. Johnson doesn't even have to be open, just get the ball NEAR him and it belongs to him.

Reactions: oldhorn2
SIAP

But did anyone catch that USC got 4 timeouts in the first half????? It's all over twitter now. I didn't catch it in the live game and was wondering if any of you saw the same thing?

We were very fortunate to keep it so close. Their kicker sucked until the end and our defense shut down key 4th down plays to give the ball back to us. Their coach and players made dumb mistakes too.
Fortunate? The D played way beyond my expectations. Texas had that game in the bag.

Reactions: outhereincali

Their DB's were draped all over our WR's on every play. It was hideous and they got away with it.

SIAP

But did anyone catch that USC got 4 timeouts in the first half????? It's all over twitter now. I didn't catch it in the live game and was wondering if any of you saw the same thing?

I've heard it explained as one was actually an official review so they got their TO back

Their DB's were draped all over our WR's on every play. It was hideous and they got away with it.
Oh I agree with you. Johnson was being held for 10 yards on that one pass and NO call. I was fuming mad.

SIAP

Wait what?

Wait what?
Ya dude they got 4 timeouts. Officials came back and rewarded them a 4th (PAC 12 officials) because they said one was an officials time out....even though it was called by the coaches....

Ya dude they got 4 timeouts. Officials came back and rewarded them a 4th (PAC 12 officials) because they said one was an officials time out....even though it was called by the coaches....

If a coach calls a timeout and the previous play ends up going under an official review then team that called the time out gets it back.

If a coach calls a timeout and the previous play ends up going under an official review then team that called the time out gets it back.
Oh I agree with you. Johnson was being held for 10 yards on that one pass and NO call. I was fuming mad.

This is what happens in non con officiating. When the other team supplies the zebras you have to know what's in store. Usually in non com games the road team supplies the zebras. But in the Pac XII if they're the home team it's their zebras. As bad as the officiating was in this game it was nowhere near as bad as the MD game. Assuming that this is a home and home series means that next year the zebras will be from our conference and SC and especially MD will get a taste of their own medicine.

Reactions: swVAHorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT