ADVERTISEMENT

The UTEP Game

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
It just didn't feel like A big FB game with the crowd missing and band, its felt like a
Auga Dulce and Orange Grove High School game, maybe it will get better as we go along, I hate to see OU game with just 100 people, then it really won't feel right, I can see now why Texas is picked to win Big 12 after Big 12 teams losing this past weekend to lesser Teams

Go Horns Beat Texas Tech!
Hook'em

download.jpg

tenor.gif

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I think everyone has forgotten what it looks like when Texas does what it is supposed to do. I loved the win and everything (almost) that I saw on the field for a season opener. Imo, we're going to get burned deep in conference play....a lot. There were waaaaay too many UTEP mid to deep passes dropped that would be explosive plays for a P5 opponent.
Receiving core suprised me. Sam looked like a multi-yr starting senior. I liked some rb by committee but I generally like having 1 "it" guy better. We'll see how that developes.
Much better effort on special teams and all around basics looked much better than anticipated but let's not get ahead of ourselves, it was against UTEP......2 wins in 2years.

Overall, TX looked like we should against a critically outgunned opponent. Fun game to watch but plenty to get shored up asap.

Disclaimer:
CFB is back so I am cautiously peeking back in here. Had to take a hiatus or risk being perma-banned due to my sharp opinions on politics, corona sham, rioting, faux social justice protests ect..ect.. I know when to walk away but not when to just let things go.

Compare this game to when we played Maryland, I know there is a whole lot of difference between the level of play between Maryland and UTEP however, the truth is we looked good, we looked like a complete team. We didn't look that good to start any year against any opponent in the Tom Herman era.

I will repeat myself from a different thread. This is the best Texas team since 2008, and we have a chance to be the best team since 2005.

Overall talent we are better than 2009. Hoping we prove we are more talented than 2008.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
Compare this game to when we played Maryland, I know there is a whole lot of difference between the level of play between Maryland and UTEP however, the truth is we looked good, we looked like a complete team. We didn't look that good to start any year against any opponent in the Tom Herman era.

I will repeat myself from a different thread. This is the best Texas team since 2008, and we have a chance to be the best team since 2005.

Overall talent we are better than 2009. Hoping we prove we are more talented than 2008.
I loooove your optimism but better than 08? We only lost 1 game and then bama ushered in our downward spiral. To be better would be a championship right? Hell, even 07 was a good team but a certain dropped int vs Ttech ruined it.

Don't pump the brakes, but definitely tap them.

Reactions: HornNation101
Fresh.....Sometimes you have to know when to quit arguing and simply let the other person be wrong....

I loooove your optimism but better than 08? We only lost 1 game and then bama ushered in our downward spiral. To be better would be a championship right? Hell, even 07 was a good team but a certain dropped int vs Ttech ruined it.

Your thinking of the 08 team which I think was better than the 09 team. 07 was not that good a team.

I want you guys to bookmark this because I think this team is exactly what I think it is.

This is not a championship team, If the 09 team had the competition that is out there this year in Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and possibly Ohio State. They wouldn't have been in the championship game.

What I will point out is the 247 team composite rankings. Basically they look at each roster and where they ranked in their respective classes.

Texas has amassed the 5th most talent in the country.

1. Georgia
2. Bama
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson
5. Texas

Now here is what I will point out.
1. Georgia - starting a brand new QB
2. Bama - starting a brand new QB
3. Ohio State - Not currently playing
4. Clemson - Generational QB
5. Texas - Sam is a 4 year starter. Tons of returning starters.

It's not far fetched to see Texas in the playoffs. Especially since Ohio State isn't part of the season.

Bookmark it, this is a better team than 09.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Your thinking of the 08 team which I think was better than the 09 team. 07 was not that good a team.

I want you guys to bookmark this because I think this team is exactly what I think it is.

This is not a championship team, If the 09 team had the competition that is out there this year in Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and possibly Ohio State. They wouldn't have been in the championship game.

What I will point out is the 247 team composite rankings. Basically they look at each roster and where they ranked in their respective classes.

1. Georgia
2. Bama
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson
5. Texas

It's not far fetched to see Texas in the playoffs. Especially since Ohio State isn't part of the season.

I think this team can do that. Will they do it is the question. Until they prove they can go a whole season without let downs, I'm skeptical.

1. Georgia
2. Bama
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson
5. Texas

I hope your assessment is right but I'll remain pessimistic until rrso is in the books. Texas almost always looks good on paper but has earned the "underachiever" moniker.
There were a lot of red flags in our defensive play. Yes, throw in game 1 jitters, new scheme & new faces some of that will probably iron out.

Right now to me it looks like we're going to need 40+ pts per game in league play, a-la-oklahoma style. If everyone stays healthy, we likely have the offense to do it too.
The D looked much improved over last year but nowhere close to playoff level. Potential is there but they've just got to bring it all together.

So...with 2 P5 conferences out, does the champ this year deserve an * ?

I hope your assessment is right but I'll remain pessimistic until rrso is in the books. Texas almost always looks good on paper but has earned the "underachiever" moniker.
There were a lot of red flags in our defensive play. Yes, throw in game 1 jitters, new scheme & new faces some of that will probably iron out.

Right now to me it looks like we're going to need 40+ pts per game in league play, a-la-oklahoma style. If everyone stays healthy, we likely have the offense to do it too.
The D looked much improved over last year but nowhere close to playoff level. Potential is there but they've just got to bring it all together.

So...with 2 P5 conferences out, does the champ this year deserve an * ?

Here is what I like best about our defense.

1. Texas is very strong on the dline. We are deep at the DT and Ossai is a complete beast. the other DE spot is a weakness but we have so many Dts it's crazy, we are a legit 3 deep at both spots.

Next you have a very good secondary, now they aren't as good as what Bama and Georgia can put out there, but they are Good enough to give us an advantage over every team in the Big 12 not named Oklahoma. Finally we have our linebackers, I must admit they aren't the best, or close to the best, but with that said, they are crazy athletic. That will count for something moving forward.

IMO the one thing that will hold this team back from beating teams like Bama, Ohio State and Clemson is our offensive line and our depth. Nothing we can do about that except recruit better.

Hell no on the asterisk....whoever wins, wins. All you can do is play the teams you are scheduled to play. Beat them all and you are top dog. Period!

Boxing champions are crowned when they win no matter how much of a tomato can their opponent was. There are years when no team is all that. I think there was even a year when a 2 loss team won it. No, I call bullshit on this being an asterisk year no matter who wins

ADVERTISEMENT