ADVERTISEMENT

The world is right for one evening: Astros win

Springer opens the game with a HR. Correa launches a 449-foot blast and drives in a 2nd run with a SF. Keuchel pounding the bottom of the zone. Gregerson does his thing and Giles Ks the side. Yes, all's right with the world for one night at least. Go 'Stros!

I know Houston isn't a big baseball city but damn it felt like it yesterday. It's cool to see half of the city representing the Stro's!

Reactions: mikeined
Idk how much you pay attention but a lot of people picked the Astros to win the West this year
I pretty much get on MLB network every night, even during off season, so, yes, I realize lots of experts are picking them to win the West. We need Dallas to pitch like he did last night, all season, McCullers to stay healthy, and the younger guys (pitching-wise) to develop. There is talent there, and to go along with the extremely talented every day roster, they could be a real force, at least offensively.

I know Houston isn't a big baseball city but damn it felt like it yesterday. It's cool to see half of the city representing the Stro's!
Actually it is a pretty decent baseball city--when they win. They have supported them pretty good through the JR Richard, Jose Cruz/Nolan Ryan/Ceasar Cedeno/Terry Puhl, and Killer B days. The city is pretty excited about the Correa/Altuve/Springer/Bregman/DK roster.
But yes, it was electric last night!

Actually it is a pretty decent baseball city--when they win.

That's the key and only reason I say it's not a big baseball city. But yeah when we're winning you'll see a lot of people at the games and it's fun, I'm not even a big baseball fan but enjoy going to the games in person. Something about the peanuts, popcorn and over priced beers that get me.

Something about the peanuts, popcorn and over priced beers that get me.

ahhhhh.....you should have been there during Foamer nights back in the day....One guy that will ALWAYS get one of my top 5 ever best Astros votes will be Cliff Johnson.....What a guy! You see....they had a light out in center field that was on for one minute, off for one minute. Any Astro that hit a homer when the foamer light was on meant free beer! If Cliff came up when the light was off, he would clean hit cleats....go for the pine tar...have something in his eye....then the light would come on and he would literally jump into the batters box!....That man got me LOTS of free beer in the dome.

He was so automatic that when he came to bat, we would run to the beer line....If you were near the front, you might be able to get one, down it fast and get another in the 5 min. they had the free ones.

ahhhhh.....you should have been there during Foamer nights back in the day....One guy that will ALWAYS get one of my top 5 ever best Astros votes will be Cliff Johnson.....What a guy! You see....they had a light out in center field that was on for one minute, off for one minute. Any Astro that hit a homer when the foamer light was on meant free beer! If Cliff came up when the light was off, he would clean hit cleats....go for the pine tar...have something in his eye....then the light would come on and he would literally jump into the batters box!....That man got me LOTS of free beer in the dome.

He was so automatic that when he came to bat, we would run to the beer line....If you were near the front, you might be able to get one, down it fast and get another in the 5 min. they had the free ones.

Lucky you! I was a kid when I went to the games in the Dome. I say we start a petition for the Stro's to bring back Foamer night!

Reactions: oldhorn2
Ahhhhh, the Dome Foam!! Also the place where one 17yr old learned that there IS actually a jail cell. Giving an officer the bird after telling you to leave while trying to get an autograph. Scare tactic? It worked....

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
In those days I would stop at the Monterrey House and get the big special to go....buy a Gold seat (wayyyy way in the top) for $1.00...get a beer, eat my dinner and walk down and "upgrade" to a good field box....I went to about 50 games a year....they never blinked when I walked in with that box dinner.

Idk how much you pay attention but a lot of people picked the Astros to win the West this year
Music to my ears sir but good gracious Houston teams have a way of breaking hearts.
There's a ton of young talent now that they aren't selling off the farm, literally. Wouldn't it be something if they could get revenge for the sweep by the White Sox..

I remember the beer vendors walking up and down the aisles at the Astrodome, saying "cold beer - coldest foam in the dome". Does anyone else remember the wax coated cups back then that Cokes and beer came in?

Reactions: oldhorn2
oh yeah....I remember those cups....pretty big....we would have 4 or 5 stacked up by the end of the game.

I remember the beer vendors walking up and down the isles at the Astrodome, saying "cold beer - coldest foam in the dome". Does anyone else remember the wax coated cups back then that Cokes and beer came in?
Sure do. I'd always end up with the crap in my teeth.

Hell yes! What a comeback last night! And what is a great way to get things started this season, is the Astros have a 3-game lead on the Rangers. Hope we sweep the Mariners tonight.

Springer Dinger!!

MUCH better start this year versus last years terrible beginning. Not having to dig out of a huge hole. Starting pitching has been outstanding!!

2 straight games with a grand slam, it has been fun!

Record stands at 27-12, and leads the West by 8 games already, not even 1/4 into the season. Cubs were at 28-11 at this point last year.

From top to bottom of the lineup, the opposing pitcher cannot take a batter off. Starting pitching (minus Fiers) has been the biggest surprise for me, we knew this lineup could hit.

I believe we will get another starting pitcher before the trade deadline.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Sadly, if they don't get another starting pitcher plus get McHugh back , they will go nowhere in the playoffs.

Sadly, if they don't get another starting pitcher plus get McHugh back , they will go nowhere in the playoffs.
There is speculation that McHugh could actually be out for the season sadly. For playoff rounds, it comes down to using top 3, maybe 4 starting pitchers. We would have DK, McCullers, Morton (did you see him strike out 12/13 Yankees Sunday?) if he can last 5+ innings, and then turn it over to this red-hot bullpen. It shrinks the game tremendously. And again, this lineup can hide a faulty 4th or 5th starter.
I'll take our starters in a one game, best of 5 playoff, and use that bullpen in a 7 game playoff, but I am viewing this team through off-burnt orange goggles.

ADVERTISEMENT