ADVERTISEMENT

Towns in Texas and how we say'um.....

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Family came to town this past week. Born in SoCal, raised in the Carolinas, law school at Cornell. Live in NY. Took them for Q in Luling and beers in Fredericksburg and the NB.
During all this driving around I realized that my Yankee kin couldn't pronounce a single fvcking town properly. And the "Bexar County" sign reading made me damn near drive off into a ditch with laughter.

Anyway, made me start thinking of some of the towns we have in Texas and the names of those towns that only us Texans know how to pronounce.

Oh please-- go ahead. I'll start you off with my South Texas favorite--

Refugio

• Haha
Reactions: mr6369m
Clob, Refugio has to be the most mispronounced name of all Texas towns.

A few more: Iraan, Pflugerville, Helotes, Boerne, Waxahachie, Llano, Humble, Gruene, Nacogdoches, Manor, Pedernales. This will be fun for non-Texans.

Family came to town this past week. Born in SoCal, raised in the Carolinas, law school at Cornell. Live in NY. Took them for Q in Luling and beers in Fredericksburg and the NB.
During all this driving around I realized that my Yankee kin couldn't pronounce a single fvcking town properly. And the "Bexar County" sign reading made me damn near drive off into a ditch with laughter.

Anyway, made me start thinking of some of the towns we have in Texas and the names of those towns that only us Texans know how to pronounce.

Oh please-- go ahead. I'll start you off with my South Texas favorite--

Refugio
You really wanna blow their minds? Throw out "cut and shoot" at em. 😁 A town not far from Conroe. Then, look up every single township along SH21 from Bastrop to Bryan. I love Texas. 😁

Man, yall nailed 2 of my biggest ones.

25 years of working every school Region in Texas, and Refugio and Palacios are my top two.

Both Spanish words, and when I asked how they come up with the pronunciation, I die laughing.

Palacios....not as bad.
(Pa lash ious).

But Refugio?
THE G IS SILENT!!

SO HOW DOES A SILENT G TURN INTO AN R!!!! =)roll

Clob, Refugio has to be the most mispronounced name of all Texas towns.

A few more: Iraan, Pflugerville, Helotes, Boerne, Waxahachie, Llano, Humble, Gruene, Nacogdoches, Manor, Pedernales. This will be fun for non-Texans.
Whaksahatchy always got me. 😁

Elgin believe it or not.
El jin and El gin.

And of course...Bowie, Tx.

Boerne but when it comes to streets Kuykendall is miss pronounced in Houston a lot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT