ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh @Oldhorn2 better check out those cruise ships closely

yeah.....amazing how a city of over 10 million cant handle 7000 immigrants. Little ole Eagle Pass has that many a month and they only have 28000 taxpayers....

yeah.....amazing how a city of over 10 million cant handle 7000 immigrants. Little ole Eagle Pass has that many a month and they only have 28000 taxpayers....
I'm flying out of SA the other day. I'm at the gate waiting to board. look over and there's two complete rows of chairs full with dudes in sweat pants, with new iPhones and clear plastic bags with "stuff" in them. All Hispanic. American airlines.

I sit down across from some of them and start listening to their conversations. First thing I notice- they are speaking Mexican Spanish. I grew up speaking that in south texas- and this was the spanish dialect I know. I have friends from Argentina and Uruguay and it wasn't their dialect. It was Mexican. I've literally been in every country in Central and South america- this was northern Mexican dialect.

I ask one of the guys where he's from. He looks at me, totally shocked-- (gringo speaking fluent Spanish with "proper" slang). He says he's not supposed to talk to anyone. I tell him "I've been listening to you talk to Ignacio and Jorge for 5 minutes. And you can't talk to me? Why?".
He says again "I'm not supposed to talk to people."
So I ask him where he's from. His response-- "Venezuela."

"Tonteria"- I say. He just shrugs.

We flew to Dallas and I changed planes, as did they. No clue where they headed to.

I'm flying out of SA the other day. I'm at the gate waiting to board. look over and there's two complete rows of chairs full with dudes in sweat pants, with new iPhones and clear plastic bags with "stuff" in them. All Hispanic. American airlines.

I sit down across from some of them and start listening to their conversations. First thing I notice- they are speaking Mexican Spanish. I grew up speaking that in south texas- and this was the spanish dialect I know. I have friends from Argentina and Uruguay and it wasn't their dialect. It was Mexican. I've literally been in every country in Central and South america- this was northern Mexican dialect.

I ask one of the guys where he's from. He looks at me, totally shocked-- (gringo speaking fluent Spanish with "proper" slang). He says he's not supposed to talk to anyone. I tell him "I've been listening to you talk to Ignacio and Jorge for 5 minutes. And you can't talk to me? Why?".

We flew to Dallas and I changed planes, as did they. No clue where they headed to.You should have gone over to where the fast food restaurants were in the airport and gotten a lot of job applications and started handing them out to all those freeloaders

We flew to Dallas and I changed planes, as did they. No clue where they headed to.You should have gone over to where the fast food restaurants were in the airport and gotten a lot of job applications and started handing them out to all those freeloa

We flew to Dallas and I changed planes, as did they. No clue where they headed to.
So whats the deal? Any speculation? And like you, I am more at home with Northern and Central Mexican Spanish. I had some contractors out to Brazoria over Christmas. Took me all day before I was semi-understanding them. Crew was from Guatemala, might as well have been Zimbabwe. Had no trouble speaking to the one Mexican on the crew, but damn, the Guatemaltecos just machine-gunned me with their speech....

Interesting. I wouldn’t doubt it. It would be pretty smart of somebody to do that. Afterall, there are people in northern Mexico that have been trying to immigrate for years, yet they get a hard stop while all of the people from all over the world get to cut to the front of the line with the bogus “asylum seeker” status. Mexican spanish is the only spanish my ears like. The El Paso airport is filled with dialects and other forms of spanish, so the majority here has been Central America and South America.

On a flight from SA to Atlanta there were about 20 or so people with new cheap zipper bags stuffed full. Mostly young guys but some families as well. They looked poor, but there they were.They did not know the first word of English. They obviously had never been on a plane before and yet there they were.....going to where?

This was last month. I took them to be from Guatamala or Honduras.

ADVERTISEMENT