ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

If Meyer says no and PJ fleck ended up being the guy our OL would get fixed. Man they have some big dudes up front and just grind you

No list all the ones that didn't work out...it honestly makes zero sense how obtuse you're being. "Well, we may not get the good coach, so don't even talk to his people...we're too good to be told no."

And by the by, I put Jeremy Pruitt on my list of coaches.

Who is on your list DJ?

I"m being obtuse? You want to choose from an applicant pile of 6 or 7 coaches that are all paid around $9M a year. And I have no problem reaching out to any of those coaches to see if they are interested. Anyone with sense already knows that they aren't, but it never hurts to ask.

My list:

Urban Meyer
Gary Patterson
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll
Tony Dungy
Chris Petersen
Bryan Harsin
Art Briles
David Shaw
Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Steve Sarkisian
Mario Cristobal
Jim Leonard
Luke Fickel
Chris Klieman
James Franklin
Gus Malhzan
Brian Daboll
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels

I"m being obtuse? You want to choose from an applicant pile of 6 or 7 coaches that are all paid around $9M a year. And I have no problem reaching out to any of those coaches to see if they are interested. Anyone with sense already knows that they aren't, but it never hurts to ask.

My list:

Urban Meyer
Gary Patterson
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll
Tony Dungy
Chris Petersen
Bryan Harsin
Art Briles
David Shaw
Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Steve Sarkisian
Mario Cristobal
Jim Leonard
Luke Fickel
Chris Klieman
James Franklin
Gus Malhzan
Brian Daboll
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels
I like that list. Sark is a guy that would probably still be at USC had it not been for his alcohol problems which he has seemed to defeat. I really like Jim Leonard surprised someone in college or pros hasn’t given him a shot yet. I found out the other day that Dan Lanning was a college teammate of a high school classmate of mine. Small world

My list:

Urban Meyer
Gary Patterson
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll
Tony Dungy
Chris Petersen
Bryan Harsin
Art Briles
David Shaw
Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Steve Sarkisian
Mario Cristobal
Jim Leonard
Luke Fickel
Chris Klieman
James Franklin
Gus Malhzan
Brian Daboll
Greg Roman
Josh McDaniels

Sounds like you and I are finally on the same page. And we have a lot of the same names.

He was mediocre for his entire career. But he did play pretty well in those 2 SB runs, although they only scored 17 and 21 in those wins over NE.

He got lucky on that first SB. Twice should’ve thrown a pick and then the Hail Mary helmet catch.

He is definitely the best QB of the ones listed but highly overrated. Hell probably be a HOFer and that’s a travesty

Sounds like you and I are finally on the same page. And we have a lot of the same names.

My point has always been to not exclude the guys without HC experience from your search and choose the guy you really believe in regardless of what his resume says.

I truly believe that Gary Joseph could easily run a major college football program. I'm not saying he should get an interview, but he's as good a coach as half that list.

My point has always been to not exclude the guys without HC experience from your search and choose the guy you really believe in regardless of what his resume says.

I truly believe that Gary Joseph could easily run a major college football program. I'm not saying he should get an interview, but he's as good a coach as half that list.
Normally I’d agree with that, but I think the jobs at the top of college football are so different it is hard to succeed if you don’t have HC expirence the asst coaches that have been successful moving from asst to HC typically we’re with that university as an asst(Day, Dabo, etc) or an alum of the university like Kirby smart. Doesn’t mean that like Dan Lanning couldn’t come here and do well, but it’s just extremely challenging

Normally I’d agree with that, but I think the jobs at the top of college football are so different it is hard to succeed if you don’t have HC expirence the asst coaches that have been successful moving from asst to HC typically we’re with that university as an asst(Day, Dabo, etc) or an alum of the university like Kirby smart. Doesn’t mean that like Dan Lanning couldn’t come here and do well, but it’s just extremely challenging

When Dabo took over Clemson, they were hot garbage.

How does being an alum of the university you coach have anything to do with your success?

When Dabo took over Clemson, they were hot garbage.

How does being an alum of the university you coach have anything to do with your success?
Well like in Kirby Smart’s case being an alum of UGA I’m sure he knew a lot of the boosters and power brokers from his playing days and/or though former teammates and friends. Building those relationships especially at bigger schools is half the battle for a new coach. A lot of coaching hires fail because the coach doesn’t have backing in the right places. Plus I think as an alum I think you can recruit the university differently than most coaches. It’s more personal and doesn’t come across as being phony.

Too much in place there. Money talks tho.

It’s better Texas finds a way with current regime.

Bottom line:
Yurlich and Ash in first years which your urban cries seem to forget abou

you guys go 7-3 Or 8-2 this year and spot in Arlington, you’ll be singing a different tune. Especially with an NY6 bowl win.

No reason Texas can’t win out either.

No offense, but I can’t make out your point. Are you saying Urban has too much going on to realistically make a move? And, are you also saying we should wait to see how this season plays out?

Well like in Kirby Smart’s case being an alum of UGA I’m sure he knew a lot of the boosters and power brokers from his playing days and/or though former teammates and friends. Building those relationships especially at bigger schools is half the battle for a new coach. A lot of coaching hires fail because the coach doesn’t have backing in the right places. Plus I think as an alum I think you can recruit the university differently than most coaches. It’s more personal and doesn’t come across as being phony.

The reason that Kirby Smart is a successful head coach is he can recruit and coach. It has nothing to do with booster relationships. He didn't have any problems sounding phony when he was convincing kids to come to Alabama.

The simple fact is that there are OCs and DCs that have spent multiple years under the tutelage of highly successful coaches in top tier programs. They have all of the necessary skills to be a head football coach of a P5 program.

You can look at it 1 of 2 ways. We haven't been good the last decade because:

1. We didn't hire one of the 5-6 top tier coaches already employed by other P5 programs. Therefore, we settled for mid-level guys because they checked all of our stupid boxes.

2. We didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on a guy like Kirby Smart, because he doesn't have multiple years of successful HC experience.

People on this board keep talking about all the responsibilities that go with being our coach and I say BS. The coach at Texas had 1 job, win. All of that other shite is just noise. Do you honestly believe that Nick Saban has ever given 2 f*cks about dealing with the media, pandering to BMDs, or whether players are offended by the fight song? At Alabama, the band could play their fight song in black face and the team would be right out their with them, if Saban told them they were required to stay. There wouldn't be any tweets or ultimatums.

We need to find that guy. And at this point, I don't care what his resume says or what any fan or BMD thinks.

Reactions: q1w2e3
There's a certain breed of alphas that are wired differently - a super alpha. These are the types of people that others ask: "That person has enough money, why doesn't he/she just walk away and just relax?"
The problem is these super alphas are not motivated solely by money - as long as they're paid market money, it's not an issue. These alphas just can't turn off the switch. They may take a break from being in the game for a year or two but they need the feeling of the adrenaline drip in the pit of their stomach. They can't function without it. It's who they are; it's power, it's the ability to mold, shape, and control. It's the physiological need to be challenged. They live off of that adrenaline drip.
These are people in all facets of life. Coaching, business, politics. They're easy to spot. Bloomberg, Trump, very likely Stoops. I've been surrounded by this breed in the business world and, in my experience, it is rare that a super alpha in his/her prime just walks away.
We'll see about Meyers. My guess is that he's one of those people that needs the adrenaline drip as a life source - whether at UT or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
There's a certain breed of alphas that are wired differently - a super alpha. These are the types of people that others ask: "That person has enough money, why doesn't he/she just walk away and just relax?"
The problem is these super alphas are not motivated solely by money - as long as they're paid market money, it's not an issue. These alphas just can't turn off the switch. They may take a break from being in the game for a year or two but they need the feeling of the adrenaline drip in the pit of their stomach. They can't function without it. It's who they are; it's power, it's the ability to mold, shape, and control. It's the physiological need to be challenged. They live off of that adrenaline drip.
These are people in all facets of life. Coaching, business, politics. They're easy to spot. Bloomberg, Trump, very likely Stoops. I've been surrounded by this breed in the business world and, in my experience, it is rare that a super alpha in his/her prime just walks away.
We'll see about Meyers. My guess is that he's one of those people that needs the adrenaline drip as a life source - whether at UT or elsewhere.

And there's the opposite, they tend to populate buraeucratic jobs that exact power. They populate universities and governments. They are lazy and controlling. I call them belmont administrators.

And there's the opposite, they tend to populate buraeucratic jobs that exact power. They populate universities and governments. They are lazy and controlling. I call them belmont administrators.
Well said! I'm fairly confident in saying that folks like you and I can spot them a mile away.

I use that analogy when talking about truly elite HOF level QBs. Very few retire gracefully and most stay well past their prime. Imagine what it takes to be able to process information amid the chaos that is happening between the time the QB breaks the huddle until the play is over. There is no way they could replicate that rush in other aspects of their life.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
Well said! I'm fairly confident in saying that folks like you and I can spot them a mile away.
There are definitely people who seek power for all the wrong reasons and sadly many do achieve the status that allows them to adversely impact others.. But others sincerely work tirelessly to positively impact the lives of their players...

I am a coach and take a lot of pride in being one and in helping kids/ young adults become most importantly better people while they pursue their athletic dreams. I think for some people, for me and a lot of coaches that I know, it is about loving what it means to be a coach and impacting in incredibly important ways the lives of others... And watching them have success and grow is a real blessing. Getting to touch other lives really, I think, is why we are given life..

A great coach is someone who recognizes what your version of success is and goes out of his or her way to help their athletes achieve everything they are aiming for but also in that process allows the athlete to discover just how limited their vision is and helps them want to chase the new vision that you help them see.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a lot of special coaches in my sports career growing up but there are two in particular that stand apart in my mind. Harry Hopman the great Australian Davis Cup coach and David Farmer who had 3 wins over Bob Lutz formerly #20 in the world in singles and Stan Smiths doubles partner and as a team ranked #1 in the world.. Both helped me become a very solid player playing collegiately at FSU and playing against guys in the top 35 in the world..

I won't elaborate on them except to say that they helped me become someone who has been able to help a lot of young people become better human beings and 65 have gone on to play at schools like Texas, Texas Tech, Illinois, Virginia, Kentucky and NC State.. I have also seen two of my players play for NCAA Championships with one winning a team championship at Virginia.. That player also won an Orange Bowl Championship and achieved a National #1 ranking briefly and another obtained a #1 National Ranking in the 14's and was given a wild card entry into the Easter Bowl in the 16's at Indian Wells California...

Someone said that having a great coach is crucial for every athlete and team whether or not they are serious about pursuing the sport to a collegiate level or beyond. They are someone who will believe in you but push you to test your limits. They’ll show you new strength you didn’t know you had, and that is a special gift.

There are in essence two broad categories into which development falls.. Strength and Conditioning i'e. energy system based elements and tactical and technical elements or information processing based elements.. Both categories are very involved.. For example sequencing strength and conditioning must occur in certain ways and must accentuate certain attributes.. And both enhance the athletes ability to self regulate during competition

Concepts like max aerobic speed and anaerobic speed reserve are utilized as well as technical assessment protocols that provide needed direction in building programming for athletes and the other elements, in essence the information processing based elements, together along with the building of the right psychological processes build successful athletes.. And there is a huge difference between an athlete that is fit to play and one that is conditioned to perform...

Coaches have different tool sets and differing abilities to use those tools.. Very good to great coaches understand that the environment that they work in requires different tools than are effective in standard work environments... Coaching is in many ways a learning process, not a teaching process. Many of the teaching tools we regularly use can’t be used in coaching. Really good to great coaches have a different set of tools in order to teach. And it is easy to see the coaches who understand how to apply those tools to their players and teams.. The results are readily apparent for everyone to see..

These tools flow from a coaching mindset and use a coaching skill set in order to empower the players learning and mastery of their sport. Tom while talented has yet to learn what allows a player to be optimally conditioned to perform and Urban understands this very very well and has proven it where ever he has been.. JC Santana says he believes the biggest and fastest adaptation to intense training is resetting the human will, and that is a spiritual transformation, not a physical adaptation. This is the real gift that great coaches give to their players and this is what currently is missing from Texas...

You hit the nail on the head with respect to Meyer. If he gets bored and feels the need to come back again and compete he will. No amount of money will draw him out of retirement -- for him, it is purely a matter of competition and personal fulfillment. Meyer typically drops cryptic hints before he makes big decisions. Haven't heard any of that yet. Until that happens, his chances of coming out of retirement and also going to UT are very low. I believe UTs best chance of getting the best coach is to focus on others and keep a secondary eye out on Meyer to see if he has any stirring to coach again.

Too much in place there. Money talks tho.

It’s better Texas finds a way with current regime.

Bottom line:
Yurlich and Ash in first years which your urban cries seem to forget abou

you guys go 7-3 Or 8-2 this year and spot in Arlington, you’ll be singing a different tune. Especially with an NY6 bowl win.

No reason Texas can’t win out either.

No, we won't. Herman is who he is. He is slightly better than David McWilliams coaching, and only slightly more liked than Mackovic. What a combo!

Knew this two weeks ago. Told you I knew this. Came on here and posted this. Just now making it into the press I see.

So is this still happening or what???? Like I'm waiting on a prom date that ain't gonna show..............

We will need to be eliminated from B12 championship contention. After seeing the team's stupid celebration for beating okie lite, a let down this week is guaranteed. We need to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT