ADVERTISEMENT

USA Men's Basketball is a joke

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
The NBA is no longer the best basketball played in the world. Time to start cutting back these fat NBA contracts.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Pop and this team are just not serious about this. It’s a shame and they’re embarrassing themselves and the USA. It pisses me off to no end. The 1992 Dream Team went hunting for blood and didn’t care if they hurt anyone’s feelings. Beating Angola by 70 and Barkley elbowing one of their guys while up by 50 was beautiful to watch as an American. We’re never going to see that kind of competitiveness against international teams as long as Pop is the coach.

It’s hard to call a guy with 5 titles overrated, but Pop is overrated. The fact is GM Pop fired his buddy because of a poor year when the Admiral got hurt 10 games in to the season. Hires himself, drafts Duncan with the first pick, and surprise he’s an HOF coach. Why the press lets him get away with his tough guy image I’ll never understand. I thought we were supposed to be against bullying? His act has become tiresome and his coaching “skills” exposed. He’s now 11-6 as the head coach of Team USA - the inventor of basketball. The same winning percentage as Tom Herman at UT. Fire him while there is time to salvage a bronze.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
It’s hard to call a guy with 5 titles overrated, but Pop is overrated. The fact is GM Pop fired his buddy because of a poor year when the Admiral got hurt 10 games in to the season. Hires himself, drafts Duncan with the first pick, and surprise he’s an HOF coach. Why the press lets him get away with his tough guy image I’ll never understand. I thought we were supposed to be against bullying? His act has become tiresome and his coaching “skills” exposed. He’s now 11-6 as the head coach of Team USA - the inventor of basketball. The same winning percentage as Tom Herman at UT. Fire him while there is time to salvage a bronze.
A coupla tylenols and four fingers of scotch might help yer headache. Yer welcome 😁

Reactions: diadevic
I call him Pock. Also, karma is catching up to the soccer team and the basketball team. Football season can't get here soon enough! Popovich is a pompous, arrogant ass.

Yeah this thread aged pretty poorly. Basketball headed to the gold medal game

the narrative of the US no longer being dominant in basketball has been drastically overstated. Since 1992 when we first sent NBA players the US is 138-6 in Olympic play. 4 of those losses came in the 2004 Olympics. It is true that the rest of the world has closed the gap, but the UD is till the top dog by a pretty wide margin, and although we sent good players this time around. I’m not sure we sent our best, and we’re still winning games comfortably

Hold on there cowboy. They may very well win Gold but France or Slovenia will be no cupcake. And it’s well established that we are far from the dominance of Olympic BB. We’re very beatable. Australia jumped on them pretty good last night with an early 15 point lead. Without KD, that team doesn’t even make it to the medal round.

Reactions: diadevic
Hold on there cowboy. They may very well win Gold but France or Slovenia will be no cupcake. And it’s well established that we are far from the dominance of Olympic BB. We’re very beatable. Australia jumped on them pretty good last night with an early 15 point lead. Without KD, that team doesn’t even make it to the medal round.

I wanted the match up with Luka for the gold, but France will be no cake walk.

France already beat US in this Olympics. Whoever Evan Fournier is is darn near unstoppable.

The international game is different than the nba. With goaltending allowed any team with a strong rim protector will have a definite advantage. Rudy Gobert is an elite rim protector with his 7’5” wingspan. USA better shoot well from the outside because they won’t get anything easy going to the basket. If our outside shots don’t fall we’re in trouble. The best way for us to win is by rebounding well and forcing turnovers and getting out in transition for easy baskets. If this becomes a half court game we could very well lose.

There is no doubt that France will be tough and there is no doubt that the rest of the world has closed the gap in basketball, but by any objective measure we are still a dominate force in basketball. Like I said we are 138-6 from the 92 Olympics on. It’s like a 15 seed vs a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. It can happen, it will happen from time to time, but the smart money is and will be for the foreseeable future on the US

There is no doubt that France will be tough and there is no doubt that the rest of the world has closed the gap in basketball, but by any objective measure we are still a dominate force in basketball. Like I said we are 138-6 from the 92 Olympics on. It’s like a 15 seed vs a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. It can happen, it will happen from time to time, but the smart money is and will be for the foreseeable future on the US
What is our record from the last 8 years of international competition? I’m willing to bet at least 2-3 of those losses have been much more recent than 1992.

What is our record from the last 8 years of international competition? I’m willing to bet at least 2-3 of those losses have been much more recent than 1992.
40-2 in international play since 2010 not counting this years olympics. If they win the gold medal game that will put them at 46-4 since 2010. While international teams have closed the gap the United States is still pretty dominant in international play.

Bob Hill was never going to make it as an NBA coach....Pop fired him, good riddance...Yeah, it is easy to win with 2 super Stars.....but then why is Phil Jackson seen as such a wunderkind? He always had 3 super stars, and he never had to buid a team. Pop deserves his accolaids, but it is true that his time has passed.

.....and if you want to know the true worth of Bob Hill.....what in hell else did he ever accomplish?

3 of the 6 were in 2004(which was a disaster for USA basketball. And 1 obviously the other day. But they have won goals in 5 of the last 6 Olympics and playing for 6 of 7. USA is still top dog by a pretty decent gap.

some people have chosen not to like them for there own political or culture war reasons, and that’s what it is. But it doesn’t change the facts that although the world has taken basketball more seriously since 1992 and it’s shown in tye NBA game. The USA is still the Alabama

3 of the 6 were in 2004(which was a disaster for USA basketball. And 1 obviously the other day. But they have won goals in 5 of the last 6 Olympics and playing for 6 of 7. USA is still top dog by a pretty decent gap.

some people have chosen not to like them for there own political or culture war reasons, and that’s what it is. But it doesn’t change the facts that although the world has taken basketball more seriously since 1992 and it’s shown in tye NBA game. The USA is still the Alabama
No doubt USA basketball is the top dog. Nobody disputes that but we’re much more vulnerable now than before. We’re no longer an automatic gold medal in Olympic competition like we’ve been in the past.

It's the bowing and scraping to China that soured me. You've got players bemoaning their own country about slavery 160 years ago while praising China, a nation that has enslaved almost 2 million Muslims in the last 5 years.

No doubt USA basketball is the top dog. Nobody disputes that but we’re much more vulnerable now than before. We’re no longer an automatic gold medal in Olympic competition like we’ve been in the past.
We’re playing for a 3rd straight and 5 of the last 6. We’re still a pretty heavy favorite

It's the bowing and scraping to China that soured me. You've got players bemoaning their own country about slavery 160 years ago while praising China, a nation that has enslaved almost 2 million Muslims in the last 5 years.
The NBA(like all big business) makes a lot of money in China. Protecting your money isn’t a new concept

Sure we’re favored but if I’m a betting man I wouldn’t feel confident putting money on them.
Based on what? The fact that France beat us earlier in the tournament? Did you know that 3 of the pretty heavy contributors just got off a 16 hour flight and arrived in the country hours before the game?

US Will win by double digits

The NBA(like all big business) makes a lot of money in China. Protecting your money isn’t a new concept
This just shows me that they aren't sincere people. They don't truly care about human rights or activism. They just care about getting paid.

This just shows me that they aren't sincere people. They don't truly care about human rights or activism. They just care about getting paid.
That’s not true. It was the owners and the league that kinda stepped in on the China stuff because they benefit more than the players do in that area. Some of the players followed suit, but you know as well as I do when you have business or economic ties with a country that may not act as well socially as you’d like them to it’s a delicate balance.

for example American foreign policy doesn’t treat China the same way we treat North Korea despite being guilty of a lot of the same things. Why? Because as a fellow economic power you need them in other areas. Doesn’t mean you like how they behave just an aknowlakgememt of the reality

Based on what? The fact that France beat us earlier in the tournament? Did you know that 3 of the pretty heavy contributors just got off a 16 hour flight and arrived in the country hours before the game?

US Will win by double digits
Maybe. But I wouldn’t bet on Middleton and his 6 points per game as a “heavy contributor”. We have yet to see the best of Booker - maybe he will break out. Holliday is a tenacious defender, but can’t shoot a lick. This game has nothing to do with guys showing up late. It’s Durant’s team — if he’s on, we win by 20. If he struggles, then this is a dogfight.

That’s not true. It was the owners and the league that kinda stepped in on the China stuff because they benefit more than the players do in that area. Some of the players followed suit, but you know as well as I do when you have business or economic ties with a country that may not act as well socially as you’d like them to it’s a delicate balance.

for example American foreign policy doesn’t treat China the same way we treat North Korea despite being guilty of a lot of the same things. Why? Because as a fellow economic power you need them in other areas. Doesn’t mean you like how they behave just an aknowlakgememt of the reality
And I get that. But you're talking about relationships between nations. I'm talking about individuals.

And you can't, out of one side of your mouth, bemoan the history of slavery in this country, while out if the other side of your mouth, protect a nation that has ACTUAL slavery, simply because they're paying your bills.

Hey Bezos, you misspelled acknowledgment

ADVERTISEMENT