Very tragic news for the Ehlinger family

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
What would lead you to believe it an od?
Young, athletic, healthy kids don't just drop dead. Their heart is monitored regularly for irregularities... so that ruled out. Nobody murdered him, so that's ruled out. I have have hard time believing he willingly did you you himself because his brother just got drafted...... I don't think he'd slip on a banana peal and have a accident..... he's a good athlete.

So I'm running out of viable reasons.

LAY THE WOODY

Jul 23, 2008
I have a heavy heart if this is the case. Kids are vulnerable and wreckless in their youth. Been there, done that. My best wishes to the Ehlinger family. I couldn't imagine losing a son like this. Hopefully the investigation will clear things up. My heart is heavy.

hookem365

Jul 12, 2020
Young, athletic, healthy kids don't just drop dead. Their heart is monitored regularly for irregularities... so that ruled out. Nobody murdered him, so that's ruled out. I have have hard time believing he willingly did you you himself because his brother just got drafted...... I don't think he'd slip on a banana peal and have a accident..... he's a good athlete.

So I'm running out of viable reasons.

It could still be a cardiac arrest. I know of at least 2 cases of cardiac arrests where the individuals survived only because someone happened to spot them soon after it happened (few minutes). If there was any delay, those would have been fatal. I also know of cases where this was not spotted, and the individual passed away on the spot.

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
It could still be a cardiac arrest. I know of at least 2 cases of cardiac arrests where the individuals survived only because someone happened to spot them soon after it happened (few minutes). If there was any delay, those would have been fatal. I also know of cases where this was not spotted, and the individual passed away on the spot.
Agreed..... but Texas purposely monitors these kids hearts. It would have to be something REALLY odd.

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
San Antonio
I hope this wasn't a suicide. Unfortunately, too many young boys and girls are resorting to taking their lives these days. Just truly sad. A co-worker of mine years ago killed himself out of the blue. Just shocking and inexplicable to everyone. He was completely normal and joking with us at the office then later that evening shot himself. The family sued several pharmaceutical companies for drugs he was taking to alleviate pain related to a neck surgery he had undergone about 2 weeks prior to his death. They were convinced that the drugs caused him to behave erratically and have suicidal thoughts. Who knows...

LAY THE WOODY

Jul 23, 2008
The best bet for everyone is let the investigation run it's course. So far i've heard drug overdose, suicide, cardiac arrest? God dam man, there will be a conclusion when the conclusion is found. Son!

Reactions: doc2rouge

JoeAg

Aug 17, 2014
Very sorry to hear this. My most sincere condolences to the Ehlinger family as well as the entire extended Longhorn family.

Reactions: Motherlonghorn

LongfellowDrew

Dec 5, 2008
Until an official statement is made on the cause of death, all we're going to hear are rumors and speculation.
Right. Why as humans do we feel like we need to guess in situations like this. If you’re right I hope you don’t beat your chest. If you’re wrong well that just means you don’t know shit. It’s a tragic death for any family but having them lose their father in his 40’s and now their brother/son in his 20’s.

JasperNewton7

Feb 6, 2015
This is not the greatest of threads to revisit I know but was there any information given on the cause of Jake’s passing?

Reactions: EWNHorn

DrinkToIt

Feb 27, 2006
I haven't seen anything anywhere. This might go down as a mystery much like what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. Only makes me think its something bad. If it's like David Carradine I wouldn't want it released either.

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
I haven't seen anything anywhere. This might go down as a mystery much like what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. Only makes me think its something bad. If it's like David Carradine I wouldn't want it released either.
If it were a medical condition, they'd have released it to quell the rumor mill. They haven't. It's been what--- 6 weeks since his death? Autopsy report shouldn't take that long.

DrinkToIt

Feb 27, 2006
If it were a medical condition, they'd have released it to quell the rumor mill. They haven't. It's been what--- 6 weeks since his death? Autopsy report shouldn't take that long.

Agreed. It's almost certainly being suppressed.

TX1972

Oct 31, 2012
I had a friend in high school. 4 years after graduation, his parents were out of town, he had 3 0r 4 of us over on Saturday night. We smoked and drank, played some pool. I was going to work for my uncle for the summer, then medical school. 2 others were going on to grad school. Damon's parents wouldn't support him for a PhD English. Monday, I drove to Tyler. When Damon's parents came home Sunday night, he was dead. They were Catholic, nobody had invented the cell phone. I found out weeks later. I don't think that there was a funeral or obit, he was just gone.

Texasguy115

Jun 18, 2021
I hate hate to start rumors. But I know some Texas sorority girls who knew Jake. He was seen the night before he died on Zanax and possibly coke. Apparently it was an overdose or a lethal mixture of Zanax, coke, and alcohol. It was no secret that he liked Zanax. I saw the same info being said on burnt orange nation.

Again, this is all coming from the sorority girls I know. If I’m overstepping my boundaries then please feel free to delete this post.

• Sad
Reactions: echeese

DrinkToIt

Feb 27, 2006
L0.
I hate hate to start rumors. But I know some Texas sorority girls who knew Jake. He was seen the night before he died on Zanax and possibly coke. Apparently it was an overdose or a lethal mixture of Zanax, coke, and alcohol. It was no secret that he liked Zanax. I saw the same info being said on burnt orange nation.

Again, this is all coming from the sorority girls I know. If I’m overstepping my boundaries then please feel free to delete this post.

I've heard it was an OD as well.... but this wouldn't be the first time a student died of an OD, so I'm not sure why they are hiding it. The Ehlingers, bless them all, aren't the Kennedys. Really surprising the official cause of death for someone that well known would be suppressed over an OD.

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
I have no idea if this with Ehlinger was an overdose or not but I saw an article the other day about a beautiful 18 year old girl who decided to take some Xanax given to her, on graduation night and never woke up. Apparently it was bought on the street and laced with fentanyl. The guy that sold it to her is being charged with her death. People are playing with fire with drugs especially nowadays.

I never was interested in drugs growing up, just beer.

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
L0.

I've heard it was an OD as well.... but this wouldn't be the first time a student died of an OD, so I'm not sure why they are hiding it. The Ehlingers, bless them all, aren't the Kennedys. Really surprising the official cause of death for someone that well known would be suppressed over an OD.
Jenna Ehlinger lost a husband to a sudden death and now a son to another sudden death. Maybe she wants to grieve in private. Leave her be.

DrinkToIt

Feb 27, 2006
Jenna Ehlinger lost a husband to a sudden death and now a son to another sudden death. Maybe she wants to grieve in private. Leave her be.

I'm not messing with her... this is a public forum and this thread is about Jake Ehlinger, a football player at UT who happens to be the brother of Sam, a UT legend who was just drafted by the Colts. Jake died very suspiciously and his death has been made confidential for some reason... the word is that it was drug overdose... why should that be suppressed? Every parent grieves when a child dies. Get out of here with that.

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
I'm not messing with her... this is a public forum and this thread is about Jake Ehlinger, a football player at UT who happens to be the brother of Sam, a UT legend who was just drafted by the Colts. Jake died very suspiciously and his death has been made confidential for some reason... the word is that it was drug overdose... why should that be suppressed? Every parent grieves when a child dies. Get out of here with that.
It still ain't your kid

DrinkToIt

Feb 27, 2006
It still ain't your kid

No it's not. So? You know how many people's kids die every day? A lot. How many are celebrities? Not as many. How many causes of death are hidden? Some I assume. That doesn't mean people aren't entitled to ask questions. Don't like it? Don't be famous.

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Um....? I get your point but unless I missed something I don’t think Drinktoit went to her house asking for details. It’s a tragic deal and may be like what happened to Austin Box several years back. I truly don’t believe anyone on this board that has posted has any ill will or the intentions of looking down on the folks involved. Just my .02.