ADVERTISEMENT

VY Fired...

txleapd

Sep 19, 2005
God's Country
Vince Young fired from part-time job at University of Texas for poor performance

WTF, Vince? Do you have any idea how bad you have to f**k off for The University to Fire VINCE-FREAKING-YOUNG?

Why do you keep doing this stuff to yourself? You were set up with a SWEET gig, that you chose to shit all over instead. It’s time to grow the f**k up, brother.

VY will always have been amazing talent, who I still love watching old games on, and I will always appreciate what the he did for Texas, but he has seriously left a wide path of disappointment since he left school. It’s a damn shame.

Sorry for the rant. I’m really disappointed in the guy. I hope he unscrews himself for his own sake.

Vince Young fired from part-time job at University of Texas for poor performance

WTF, Vince? Do you have any idea how bad you have to f**k off for The University to Fire VINCE-FREAKING-YOUNG?

Why do you keep doing this stuff to yourself? You were set up with a SWEET gig, that you chose to shit all over instead. It’s time to grow the f**k up, brother.

VY will always have been amazing talent, who I still love watching old games on, and I will always appreciate what the he did for Texas, but he has seriously left a wide path of disappointment since he left school. It’s a damn shame.

Sorry for the rant. I’m really disappointed in the guy. I hope he unscrews himself for his own sake.

I have always thought it was Coach Fisher having VY shoved down his throat by Bud Adams that ruined his NFL career and just sidelining him... but I begin to wonder.

The guy is lost. Needs a mentor. Maybe he can go recruit for Mack at NC.

He was a good football player, aaaaannnd that’s all I got...

I think them Tenn. days are still messing his head up, like having a bad dream and can't wake up or dunno how to wake up, he needs help!

People are just people. This would be a better world if we all remembered that, I think. To God, you're no more or less important than the Pope, Billy Graham (RIP), or the Apostle Paul (RIP). He doesn't love them any more or less. Ditto for the homeless person at the corner, or the jerk at work who acts like s/he's your boss, or all the people that you happen to disagree with.

What I'm suggesting is that VY's problem is two-part.
  • People who idolized him, gave him $100 handshakes, etc.
  • VY for believing that B.S., or maybe for falling into the trap of thinking, "I'm never going to be more than I was."
He has other problems, but I think they all stem from his reaction to the idolatry.

My take, anyway.

No VY fan but his problem is a lack of education and the company he chooses. He was not ready for the world coming out of college. His NFL experience did not help him either. His handlers betrayed him as well. The tons of money he just blew through. Maybe hitting rock bottom will open his eyes to the bad choices he makes. He still has his marketable name. He, himself, has to learn to turn his life around. Hope he has a spiritual bent.

Last edited:
VY for believing that B.S., or maybe for falling into the trap of thinking, "I'm never going to be more than I was."

Agree. His problem is still thinking he can play or wanting to still play. It’s over but can’t let it go.

If I recall, weren't his Wunderlich scores among the lowest ever recorded by the NFL? He was really unprepared mentally and emotionally for not just the NFL but simple adulthood with personal responsibilities and honoring commitments. Hope he finds a way out of this mess. If I were him, I would be working non stop to rebuild his life and reputation. Football camps, speaking to kids, and any other gig that would help him restore his earning capacity in any way possible. The worst thing he can do is sit around and drink and mope around all the time.

If I recall, weren't his Wunderlich scores among the lowest ever recorded by the NFL? He was really unprepared mentally and emotionally for not just the NFL but simple adulthood with personal responsibilities and honoring commitments. Hope he finds a way out of this mess. If I were him, I would be working non stop to rebuild his life and reputation. Football camps, speaking to kids, and any other gig that would help him restore his earning capacity in any way possible. The worst thing he can do is sit around and drink and mope around all the time.
Unfortunately when you live in a fishbowl thats full of people that reminds you every day how great you were in 2005--- every single day----- it's hard to break out and grow into a different person. Vince needs to move away for a while and just be Vince--- or figure out who Vince is--- instead of being reminded daily of who he was.

Unfortunately when you live in a fishbowl thats full of people that reminds you every day how great you were in 2005--- every single day----- it's hard to break out and grow into a different person. Vince needs to move away for a while and just be Vince--- or figure out who Vince is--- instead of being reminded daily of who he was.

True. This also shows how important fathers are to their children. Not to diminish mom's importance, but even a decent dad gives children an example of dealing with adversity in a positive way. Alcoholism is just another form of escaping a purposeless life.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
He wasn't fired just for the DWI. He didn't like showing up to the office so he said how about I go part time because I am better at going out and meeting with people. The University was like fine. Show up to staff meetings and send us a calendar of what you are doing. He didn't even do that. How hard is it to go out and play golf and say you had a meeting with potential donors.

Totally anecdotal but I had the opportunity to spend some time with a bunch of NFL players at the Houston super bowl. They were "off the clock" and hanging with friends in most of the situations. The one thing I came away with was how most of them acted like we did in high school. Just big kids talking about girls and partying. The retired players who were now with the media weren't any better. Hooking up with groupies at the hotels, etc..

It was a completely different existence than the outside world. I can't imagine what they do when their "time" is over.

At Texas, Vince Young finally ran out of chances.

As first reported by the Associated Press, Young was fired from his job as a development officer in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement on March 1 “for not demonstrating significant and sustained improvement in the performance of (his) job responsibilities and failing to maintain standards of conduct suitable and acceptable to the university.”

Originally hired in 2014 and paid just under $80,000 per year for the part-time role, Young started receiving job warnings in 2017, but continued to perform poorly, failed to communicate with his supervisors, and did not show up for work.

Young’s position was responsible for alumni relations and raising money for low-income students and first-generation college students.

The termination by his alma mater, where he was a record-setting quarterback and led Texas to the national championship in the 2006 Rose Bowl, wasn’t the only personal setback for Young recently — he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated outside of Houston in early February, hours after the Super Bowl.

It was the second drunk-driving arrest for Young in three years. In 2016, he was arrested and charged in Austin, eventually pleading no contest and receiving 18 months probation. Young apologized publicly and was able to keep his job at Texas, but couldn’t stop making poor decisions.

It’s not clear whether Young has actually reflected on those poor decisions and his own personal responsibility for his multiple arrests and getting fired from a job that was created specifically for him.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...oGcjbk8JCmuj29KhPvfhOK4JOLZJlsBsMbdBHt49tBhPw

Who would have guessed that Ramonce Taylor would have his sh*t together more than Vince at this point in their lives?

Ouch.

Hope Vince can get himself sorted out. Sad that he just blew one of the easiest (legal) six-figure jobs on the planet.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Go overseas and do some charity work, maybe. Somewhere rural in the southern hemisphere, where they don't know about that win over USC.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
You know, as I think about this more and more there's also a minor amount of responsibility on the university for trying to create a joke of a part time job for him to begin with. What the hell does a part-time Development Officer in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement do? It's a BS position to start with that requires zero skills of any kind. He has no other skills except for his knowledge about the game of football and UT athletics. If they had created a part time job for him in the athletics department with real job duties and measurable goals to achieve he may have been more engaged and productive. Can you imagine how boring and worthless you would be working as a Development Officer in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. I love my University but sometimes we try too hard to be some standard bearer for PC causes. That kind of crap adds no value or goodwill to the University. Vince may actually be happy they canned him from that God-forsaken position.

You know, as I think about this more and more there's also a minor amount of responsibility on the university for trying to create a joke of a part time job for him to begin with. What the hell does a part-time Development Officer in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement do? It's a BS position to start with that requires zero skills of any kind. He has no other skills except for his knowledge about the game of football and UT athletics. If they had created a part time job for him in the athletics department with real job duties and measurable goals to achieve he may have been more engaged and productive. Can you imagine how boring and worthless you would be working as a Development Officer in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. I love my University but sometimes we try too hard to be some standard bearer for PC causes. That kind of crap adds no value or goodwill to the University. Vince may actually be happy they canned him from that God-forsaken position.

It would be bad Karma to talk on Earl's job , I am sure lighten would strike ya fast! Its a different horse, trust me!

Totally anecdotal but I had the opportunity to spend some time with a bunch of NFL players at the Houston super bowl. They were "off the clock" and hanging with friends in most of the situations. The one thing I came away with was how most of them acted like we did in high school. Just big kids talking about girls and partying. The retired players who were now with the media weren't any better. Hooking up with groupies at the hotels, etc..

It was a completely different existence than the outside world. I can't imagine what they do when their "time" is over.

Stop making fun of Clob. ;)

I think I'm riding the same bus you're on.

I was seeing this as enabling him a bit.

First- I never even sniffed the NFL but plenty of friends did.
Second-- though I maintain that I always strive to be a gentleman in the presence of females, it doesn't mean I'm always thinking gentlemanly thoughts. I think most men are that way.

"Mr Naughty" strikes again!

Plenty of jobs have nonsense or mysterious titles, including "real" jobs. If it didn't have measurable goals and actual duties, then it's kind of impossible for them to claim he performed poorly.

He was supposed to raise scholarship money for low income kids. Just about every college in America has someone on staff that does that. All he had to do was hang out with donors, write it on a calendar and turn it into his manager.

He was supposed to raise scholarship money for low income kids. Just about every college in America has someone on staff that does that. All he had to do was hang out with donors, write it on a calendar and turn it into his manager.

Well, it's about to get "REAL" for Vince. Unless he can land a TV gig.

ADVERTISEMENT