ADVERTISEMENT

Waco the American Apocalypse 30 years later

Because it's fun to shoot shit that's a long way off.
Bought my first "long" distance gun when I was 23. 7mm STW. Straight smoke. Flatter than a blown tire. First time I'd ever shot anything at 800m before.
Then I got a 300 UM. Great round, but still preferred the 7STW.
Then I shot a .338 Lapua Mag and the whole world changed.
The .50 was going to be my "fvck you that's why" gun.

the 50 cal.....Never forget. When I was at basic training at FT Benning we had to finish this course at night to graduate. .....They put us at the bottom of a very slight incline hill that was the beginning of the course. Our objective was to low crawl towards this Machine gun placement. the course was fairly wide( I have no idea) and was littered with logs we had to crawl over. The course was also littered with charges that were constantly going off. The charges would literally lift you off the ground. Oh, and the machine gun we were to go to was firing live ammunition over our heads.We were all seperated so we couldnt see each other, but we could hear each other yell....well....and whimper.This was a night exercize and it was damned dark. Well, except for the tracers above our heads and the blasts of the charges.

Common sense tells you that the MG is shooting too high to hit you, but that did not help a bit. The test was not timed so I sometimes just rolled on my back and watched to light show. Every time I came to a log I would pray that no charge would go off while I was on the log as I felt I was already too high. Of course one did go off on every log it seemed. The farther along I got the closer those tracers were to me. I will never forget that 50 cal sound......Boom,Boom,Boom... I was damned glad when I got to the end.

I tell you. If it was that damned scary when I knew they were not trying to kill me, I didnt want to ever hear that sound again.

I am sure Fresh will chuckle when he reads this, but at age 19 it definitely got my attention.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT