ADVERTISEMENT

Was I Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

horn59

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2003
I have been married to my wife for 25 years. We both have children from previous marriages.My girls live close to us and her daughter lives in Midland.We have always alternated Christmas locations. This year it was our turn to visit at Midland.My step daughter-in law told her mother this year I could not bring our dogs, as she had just bought her children two new puppies.

My two dogs are the best,well mannered,house broken,and love children.They wouldn't harm a fly.Although my wife was also shocked,she didn't want to cause a stir and told me we would have to kennel our dogs this year.I said,bullshit,if my dogs aren't welcome there,then I'm not either. I love my dogs and it would kill them to be in a kennel (for 3 days)away from us.They've never been in a kennel before.I have friends here who would have taken care of them,but most have family coming in, and I didn't want to impose on them.

Actually, my wife was very understanding with my refusal to go,and she said she would just go alone. I know she wanted to be with me as this is the first Christmas we would not be together.

My children will drop by for a brief visit with me,before going to their mothers for dinner. My sister lives close and I am going there for dinner today.

I know some of you will disagree with me,but I'm old and stubborn. I just couldn't do it.

I was reading your post to "Papa" this morning...he wanted me to tell you, you are NOT stubborn...just steadfast.

Merry Christmas

Since you asked, yes, you were wrong.

Thousands and dogs are boarded every night, and they don't die.

Seems to me there is some underlying stuff for you to dig your heels in so firmly on this.

No worries though. Like most things, this will blow over and work itself out.

If I were you, I'd make an early morning phone call, apologizing for overreacting and wishing them a Merry Christmas.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

wrong, imo. but no big deal, either. totally agree w/ biggio's take above mine, but i just felt like piling on for Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Horn59!

Not a fan of people who travel with their pets. Had an Uncle growing up who always brought his dog. People talked about that damn dog they treated like a child! Not everyone is a fan of having a pet in their home.

Sorry! Love dogs just don't want other peoples dogs in my house.

It's not your house, so I suppose you should abide by their wishes if you wanted to go. I know it sux, but you have your dogs all year long and IMO, should make concessions

With that said, I hope you have a great Christmas

Sorry, three days in a kennel is doable.

You may think your dogs are the most well behaved, others may not.

Pets are not people.

You are wrong. Leave the damn dogs at home. Quit putting animals ahead of family. Respect hEr wishes, she's do it for her kids

Yes you are. Gotta agree with B4 on this one. You're hurting no one but your wife. Don't know if the Daughter-in-law likes ya, but if she has kids, grandpa ain't making it. I'm pretty sure your dogs will live. I know my parents dogs did. Anyways good luck and Merry Christmas.

Not everyone is fond of having a child or children in their home either. I find mist dogs cleaner and better behaved than most kids. To each his own.

Originally posted by rjenk:
Not a fan of people who travel with their pets. Had an Uncle growing up who always brought his dog. People talked about that damn dog they treated like a child! Not everyone is a fan of having a pet in their home.

That's me as well.

I must have missed where you said what kind of dogs you have, but most people with dogs who go everywhere with them don't own Great Danes. Therefore, I am guessing that they are of the small and yappy variety. You must remember that your beloved pets are probably viewed as a damned nuisance by others. I understand that people get dotty over their animals and think of them as family, but sheesh, you just shit on Christmas for what?

I don't understand folks who put dogs over people. Warped priorities as far as I am concerned, but hey, who am I to judge.

Sorry - but you were wrong. Well mannered dogs or not, they asked that you not bring the pets. You pulled a power play that will cause more damage than you can ever imagine.

I can't imagine not spending Christmas with my wife because of our dogs.

Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by sfhorn:
Sorry - but you were wrong. Well mannered dogs or not, they asked that you not bring the pets. You pulled a power play that will cause more damage than you can ever imagine.

This would be my take as well.

On the bright side you can stay at home and keep those damn kids off your lawn.

I prefer to be around some of my family's dogs more than their owners. You're 100% not wrong in what you did.

Doubling up on this one. Feed and hug the dogs and somehow, someway board them or get friends to care for them. Then immediately drive to Midland to be with your wife and family. When you married your wife you married whatever came with her - to include her children. The respect and points earned will far outweigh what you are about to reap from what you have sown.

Originally posted by rjenk:

I agree. I loved my dog (he was 14 when he died in April), but I just did not travel with him. I don't particularly like for visitors to bring their dog to my house either. (It usually caused trouble with my own dog and the dogs spent time trying to out mark each other) The only places I did bring my dog was to my parents house or to my in-laws. Neither of those people had dogs so there wasn't competition. We finally built a kennel where our dog could get from our house to the sun porch to the kennel by himself and thus could let himself out. That way our neighbors only had to come by and feed him.

Sorry but you were wrong. You put your dogs before your wife and family on Christmas. Family should come first. My dogs hate the kennel too but they make it ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT