ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome class of 2015

HornosaurusRex

Aug 18, 2007
Big welcome to the class of 2015. Like your fire and can't wait to see you get it done in the weight room, locker room, on the field and... in the playoffs.

Congrats to coach Strong and staff, for putting in the long hours, and putting the fear of God in aggy. We're Texas!

Hook 'em

coffee-is-for-closers.jpg

Fear? Help me understand. Rivals has us ahead of you. 247 has you ahead by 1. ESPN(who you guys say is full of crap) has you at 7 and us at 12. You signed 4 more kids as well due to being allowed to take more due to numbers. You had a great class and addressed some needs. We had a great class that I'm happy about. Not sure where the fear of God is coming from. I thought average star ranking mattered more than numbers...at least that is what you guys say. That is in our favor.

Originally posted by Black_SoxAg:

Fear? Help me understand. Rivals has us ahead of you. 247 has you ahead by 1. ESPN(who you guys say is full of crap) has you at 7 and us at 12. You signed 4 more kids as well due to being allowed to take more due to numbers. You had a great class and addressed some needs. We had a great class that I'm happy about. Not sure where the fear of God is coming from. I thought average star ranking mattered more than numbers...at least that is what you guys say. That is in our favor.
gif-mime-blowjob-sex-512837.gif

Average star ranking is 3.48 Texas and 3.4 ATM, either way both had great classes.

Fear? Help me understand.
We've laid the foundation and now have a solid recruiting class in year one under coach Strong. Should be competing at the top of the conference soon enough.

You never came close to closing the deal on even a conference championship with JFF, and have returned to the mediocrity from whence you came, with little hope or reasonable expectation of anything different.

Your ceiling is our floor, lilbro, and we both know it.

Capisce?

Hook 'em

"We've laid the foundation and now have a solid recruiting class in year one under coach Strong. Should be competing at the top of the conference soon enough."

You did have a good class. We have had 3 in a row to build a bigger foundation and 16 looks bright already. Chavis was hired to turn the defense around. Top 50 defense and A&M is a hell of a football team with our offense. Yes, we compete in a much better conference where even though a top 10-12 class gets you 4th-5th. That's hard to swallow.

You should be competing already at the top in the Big 12. Currently even in down years if you recruit top 20 classes you are ahead of the competition. Texas was a good class. OU was respectable and everyone else is down with the likes of Kentucky for recruiting. Why would you not be at the top? The other schools can't keep up with the players. TCU will be a flash in the pan school as will Baylor. Baylor has showed that it can look great in the Big 12 then choke it up in bowl games.

Yes, we compete in a much better conference where even though a top 10-12 class gets you 4th-5th. That's hard to swallow.
Middle of the road is par for aggy, business as usual, lilbro. Keep pimpin' the conference, almost as good as winning it yourself.
laugh.r191677.gif

Why would you not be at the top?
Shockingly, it seems we agree on something, and I'm looking forward to seeing these recruits compete in the playoffs.

Hook 'em

Aggys biggest needs were at DB and LB. Based on needs, it wasn't that great a class. We'll see how Mario, err Chavis does.

And... we're not quite done with 2015 just yet. Charlie and crew still putting in work. Preferred walk-on offer to: Jose Blankenship QB Klein Oak HS

Report: Texas wants to add QB Jose Blankenship as preferred walk-on

If everything goes right with the admissions process, the preferred walk-on in the 2015 class.

According to Horns Digest, the 6'1, 190-pound passer was in contact with assistant head coach for the offense/quarterbacks coach Shawn Watson recently to learn of the potential roster spot in Austin.

A one-year starter at Klein Oak, Blankenship helped the team to a 10-4 record after a 5-5 season and threw for 1,978 yards and 14 touchdowns to go along with 810 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground.

With listed 4.59 speed in the 40-yard dash, Blankenship is an effective runner in the read option game and can scramble to gain yardage or to make plays down the field in the passing game.

In fact, he seems to be most comfortable throwing on the run moving in either direction, exhibiting decent arm strength and touch when doing so.

Blankenship describes himself as similar to former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite and the comparison fits because of a general sense that Blankenship can make the plays necessary to win, though he's a better athlete than Applewhite, but not as strong of a natural passer.

The concern is that he has a little bit of a gunslinger mentality, throwing balls back across his body on the run and trying to hit some small windows that won't be available in college.

If Blankenship does receive his admission into the school and enrolls as a member of the team, the odds of him seeing the field aren't especially high, but there are instances of preferred walk-ons receiving playing time in the Big 12 recently, as former Lake Travis quarterback Baker Mayfield started at Texas Tech as a true freshman before landing a scholarship at Oklahoma. And Vincent Testaverde also played last season for the Red Raiders due to injuries.

Ultimately, Blankenship would merely be insurance against a rash of injuries and some competition in the quarterback room, but right now, Texas could use both of those things.

Yo Aggy, the only service that has y'all ranked above Texas is Rivals and based on Rivals Texas has the better class on the average star.... Texas made a play and landed valuable commits at every needed position, Aggy did not and their QB commit may never make it to campus! Your foundation class was the 2013 class and 11 of the highest ranked members of that class are no longer on the team (it was a huge class if you don't remember, over 30). I look forward to seeing what Charlie does from here............................. This 2015 class is Charlies foundation, he will build up from here!

This post was edited on 2/20 10:24 AM by TexExSpur

I can tell you this, Charlie will be way ahead of Sumlin in wins by year 4. I can only imagine what his recruiting classes will look like as well.

The best thing about this class is how well-rounded it is. Not only did Texas address their needs but they added depth on top of that. You go down the list of commits and some of Texas' lowest ranked prospects (like Lampkin) look like multi-year starters. With Strong's record of developing players it is pretty exciting to think what he should be able to do with this as a foundation class. What other schools in this area were counting on was Strong not being able to recruit up to Texas' standards. Strong has schools like A&M scrambling and trying all sorts of gimmicks bc they know they have to strike while they can.

It's going to be hilarious when reality sets in and aggies realize chavis is far from the savior of their program they were counting on, Texas couldn't have asked for a better guy to recruit against

Originally posted by TexExSpur:
Yo Aggy, the only service that has y'all ranked above Texas is Rivals and based on Rivals Texas has the better class on the average star.... Texas made a play and landed valuable commits at every needed position, Aggy did not and their QB commit may never make it to campus! Your foundation class was the 2013 class and 11 of the highest ranked members of that class are no longer on the team (it was a huge class if you don't remember, over 30). I look forward to seeing what Charlie does from here............................. This 2015 class is Charlies foundation, he will build up from here!

I know many of you won't admit it, but Texas missed at qb. Your own staff is telling you this with having ten offers out so far for 2016 and looking to add a walk on or change Merick to 2015. Locksley will end up a WR.

Originally posted by TexasAggiesFan:

I know many of you won't admit it, but Texas missed at qb. Your own staff is telling you this with having ten offers out so far for 2016 and looking to add a walk on or change Merick to 2015. Locksley will end up a WR.
Gotta rebuild depth at the position. He will redshirt whether he wants to or not... Plenty of time for Watson to groom him. He will be a QB if they want him to be a QB.

Going to the Run heavy - Spread, Sir Locksley will fit the position! We would have really missed had KM flipped and gone MLB.....

This post was edited on 2/20 1:26 PM by TexExSpur

I know many of you won't admit it, but Texas missed at qb.
How do you know? You don't. You're just anti-Texas. Strong inherited a team without any depth at that position. He's building depth right now but carry on, hater.

What I dont understand is why we are even fooling around with these aggies. Who care what they are doing. I kinda reminds me of the 90's when Jackie Sherril was ruiing that dirty program at aTm and having pretty high National rankings. Lots of panty waisted Texas fans were wringing their hands over the whole deal. There were not many internet message groups in those days, but I expressed disgust at how they were fawning over aggies when OU was our main rival. OU was also down at the time and many of those fools thought that status quo would remain forever.

Of course OU came back....Texas came back and aTm returned to their normal place at the middle of the pack. It is going to happen that exact same way again, just as it always has. I feel bad. I know it sucks to be aggie, but there is nothing I can do about it, and there is nothing they can do about it. Those that ignore the lessons of history are doomed to have to learn them again.

Just forget their little yappings and go about your business.Everything ALWAYS returns to normal.

Gotta rebuild depth at the position. He will redshirt whether he wants to or not... Plenty of time for Watson to groom him. He will be a QB if they want him to be a QB.

Going to the Run heavy - Spread, Sir Locksley will fit the position! We would have really missed had KM flipped and gone MLB.....

How well did Watson groom Swoopes last year?

Swoopes wasn't a Watson prospect and he will likely look better in a spread/zone read formation. Swoopes was a "project" when Mack recruited him and unfortunately, they did very little to develop him .... If you want to come to off the wall conclusions on the development of a player/players by Watson, let's not leave out the kid playing for the Vikings. This staff coached a team with the cards that remained in the deck upon their arrival. Mack didn't leave the QB position in very good shape. Heard is the kid I'll be watching, not Swoopes....

Swoopes still has a chance to be a QB, he didn't get a year to develop under Watson. It wasn't all on him, games are won and lost in the trenches.

This post was edited on 2/20 3:12 PM by TexExSpur

Locksley is considered to be a WR. He even played WR in the all star game. He is almost the exact definition of a project at qb.

Originally posted by oldhorn2:
What I dont understand is why we are even fooling around with these aggies. Who care what they are doing. I kinda reminds me of the 90's when Jackie Sherril was ruiing that dirty program at aTm and having pretty high National rankings. Lots of panty waisted Texas fans were wringing their hands over the whole deal. There were not many internet message groups in those days, but I expressed disgust at how they were fawning over aggies when OU was our main rival. OU was also down at the time and many of those fools thought that status quo would remain forever.

Of course OU came back....Texas came back and aTm returned to their normal place at the middle of the pack. It is going to happen that exact same way again, just as it always has. I feel bad. I know it sucks to be aggie, but there is nothing I can do about it, and there is nothing they can do about it. Those that ignore the lessons of history are doomed to have to learn them again.

Just forget their little yappings and go about your business.Everything ALWAYS returns to normal.
At least the late 80's/early 90's won a couple of conference championships, even if they were tainted with probation. Current Aggies are in the hunt for the bronze metal every year.

I really don't think you had a great class.

Your biggest need was at Running back, Linebacker, and corner. The talent you took at those positions was marginal at best. You got a great DT and a great receiver, but neither is a sure thing. Mack has talent there is no question about that, but he is a follower and was much more interested in playing games than taking the recruiting serious, those types seldom pan out. I've seen lots of 5-star receivers not pan out, just look at your roster is proof enough.

Your 5-star QB is a top 20 baseball draft prospect, I highly doubt he will ever step foot on campus.

What's left is a pretty good offensive line class, a great TE prospect and a fantastic couple of safeties. Nothing else impresses me about this class.

Texas has a fantastic DB class all around, a fantastic linebacker class. A strong Dline class. A strong Running back Receiver and TE class. Still not sure about our oline class but I trust Wickline so it's a wash. That just leaves our QB and there was only one QB that was an instant impact guy and he never gave Texas a look. I like the fact that the QB we got is big tall and athletic. Can he play the position? We shall find out, I do know that if Kyler plays baseball which is what is expected then he is a hell of a lot better than what you got which is squat.

"We've laid the foundation and now have a solid recruiting class in year one under coach Strong. Should be competing at the top of the conference soon enough."

You did have a good class. We have had 3 in a row to build a bigger foundation and 16 looks bright already. Chavis was hired to turn the defense around. Top 50 defense and A&M is a hell of a football team with our offense. Yes, we compete in a much better conference where even though a top 10-12 class gets you 4th-5th. That's hard to swallow.

You should be competing already at the top in the Big 12. Currently even in down years if you recruit top 20 classes you are ahead of the competition. Texas was a good class. OU was respectable and everyone else is down with the likes of Kentucky for recruiting. Why would you not be at the top? The other schools can't keep up with the players. TCU will be a flash in the pan school as will Baylor. Baylor has showed that it can look great in the Big 12 then choke it up in bowl games.
Great coaches make players great. Urban Meyer kicked Saban's ass while he was at Utah, he came to Florida and won National titles, he leaves and they are back to being a shit stain. Urban goes to Ohio State and wins another national title again beating Saban.

At some point talent goes out the window and coaching takes over.

Now we see what Charlie Strong built at Louisville when his team that he recruited has the 2nd most guys going to the NFL combine. That says a lot about the Texas coach. You can point to our 6-7 finish and say look Charlie can't coach, but he is building a foundation that will put Texas back on top much like DKR did.

Oh and before I go too far, what 3 classes are you talking about. Your 2013 class has almost completely fallen apart. You had a solid 2014 class and last year was respectable, but I don't see anything that would have Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, or even Arkansas scared. Your so-called unstoppable offense put up ZERO points against Bama. I know you like to talk about our offense gaining 59 yards, but those yards came with actual points, you got nothing but another Mike Leach offense. And also keep in mind if you played our schedule I'm pretty sure you would have had 2 more losses. As bad as our offense was, you defense was equally as bad.

Locksley is considered to be a WR. He even played WR in the all star game. He is almost the exact definition of a project at qb.
Maybe, only time will tell. No one expects him to challenge for the starting QB stop next year, that will be between Heard and Swoops. Heard was red-shirted because that is what Strong promised Heard's family he would do. Charlie knew this first year didn't matter, so he used it to lay the foundation by laying down the law kicking some kids off the team and changing the culture of the entire program. The 2014 and the 2015 class know nothing but this new culture and they will both be better for it.

For now Heard is the QB of the future for this program, if Locksley pans out then fantastic but Heard is a Red-Shirt Freshmen and he is the guy we expect to see take over. I personally would have loved to have kept Gentry, you don't find kids with his kind of arm, size and athletic ability. I fully expect to see him as the first overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. But as of right now even he was a project, who needs time to develop. Texas will eventually snag the QB we need, and when we do, Texas will again be challenging for national titles.

It's amazing how committed you are. He is a versatile athlete that can play QB and has speed, agility and good hands. He has everything he needs to be successful at the QB position. They will groom him to do so....If he gets beat out, he has options! 2016 QB just committed or got his reservation announced and he is a good one....

Strong is going to build Texas back up, but please, keep telling yourself it wont happen!

Considering how far Swoopes came from the spring game there was considerable improvement. He had a long way to go but had enough skills to carve up A&M's defense which once again was one of the worst in college football. Obviously had aggies scared as your admins cried to your conference office to avoid playing Texas

Originally posted by Scholz:

Report: Texas wants to add QB Jose Blankenship as preferred walk-on

If everything goes right with the admissions process, the preferred walk-on in the 2015 class.
And never mind. Update on walk-on QB Jose Blankenship: apparently he did not gain admission to Texas and is looking for alternative options, according to Wilkerson.

This post was edited on 2/25 9:59 AM by Scholz

Highlights from HD Only:

- Longhorns now have 17 scholarship O-linemen on the roster. Wickline is pleased as punch.

- Brandon Hodges has been taking many reps at right guard. Tristian Nickelson has been working out at RT, showing very good agility.

- Connor Williams and Garrett Thomas are impressing the staff. Terrell Cuney is up to 305 lbs and is working out at center/right guard.

- Heard has bulked up a lot, very strong and passes the eyeball test.

- Strong has been putting these players through hell with the workouts. The Pit is terrifying as usual.

- Desmond Jackson (Lisfranc), Alex Norman, Caleb Bluiett and Quincy Vasser are all injured and not participating in workouts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT