ADVERTISEMENT

We've got to bring Old Smokey back fulltime

Needle,sparky,noose, or gas....none will be a true deterrent until and unless exceptions are carried out within 3 days of sentence. Why wait 3 days? To let the bastards live that fear a little longer.

That should read execution instead of exception

The death penalty was never meant as a deterrent. It's meant to remove evil and its memory from society. If it acts as a deterrent, great. The goal is to scrub evil from our midst like pulling a weed from the garden so that its seed cannot propagate.

Public hangings were the best. Let them cry and scream before they hang for all to see.

The death penalty was never meant as a deterrent. It's meant to remove evil and its memory from society. If it acts as a deterrent, great. The goal is to scrub evil from our midst like pulling a weed from the garden so that its seed cannot propagate.

Public hangings were the best. Let them cry and scream before they hang for all to see.
The current appeals process removes any deterrence possibility. Capital punishments currently take place decades after the original crime. Other than the victim’s family, the public-at-large doesn’t associate the punishment with the crime as too much time has passed. Any deterrence possibility is lost.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Visited the Historic Gonzales jail which houses the rebuilt gallows in the basement. Was told they stopped public hangings because they had become too much like a carnival or festival event.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Visited the Historic Gonzales jail which houses the rebuilt gallows in the basement. Was told they stopped public hangings because they had become too much like a carnival or festival event.
Leave it to people to make a carnival out of a hanging. Worthless....

In Hood County, where I live, I visited the "Old Jail" where there was no light, little space, and no ventilation. People were given life sentences for public vagrancy or drunkenness. Murderers to thieves were quickly tried and hung.

Karla Faye Tucker execution. I know someone who was interviewed in the crowd that day in Huntsville by CNN.

Don't know if true today but I heard or read some years ago that in the state of Texas, hangings are still on the books for cattle rustlers.

ADVERTISEMENT