ADVERTISEMENT

What’s next for the far-right after the massive failure of Trumpism?

I'm not sure Trump was "far right".

His rhetoric was . . . ummm . . . uncouth, or bizarre, and certainly un-Presidential. But his policies were not "far right" in any sense. They weren't even really right. They were populist, inasmuch as they were anything.

The most "right" thing he did was judicial nominations, and they weren't "far right". The nominees were mainstream conservatives.

His rhetoric was . . . ummm . . . uncouth, or bizarre, and certainly un-Presidential. But his policies were not "far right" in any sense. They weren't even really right. They were populist, inasmuch as they were anything.

The most "right" thing he did was judicial nominations, and they weren't "far right". The nominees were mainstream conservatives.

When you say "populist" what do you mean?

The most "right" thing he did was judicial nominations, and they weren't "far right". They were mainstream conservatives.

Ok, no issues with that except Trump isn’t really a populist. But what’s next for Bannonism? Trump was a product of Bannon. What happens now to Farage/LePen/AfD etc? They all relied on Trump’s strengths.

Anti-elitism was the real theme of Trump's politics. Ironic, yes. But true. He resonated with, and sought to resonate with, the common-sense political awareness of the masses, rather than the over-educated (not to say the philosophic) dandies of either party. He was a Republican primarily due to the fact that by 2016, elitism was far more endemic to the Left than the Right. The Left controlled the high ground of culture in the arts, the academy, and the media.

The common-sense political awareness that he tapped into was drawn to Trump because he made himself an object of intense hatred for all these groups that took themselves so seriously and whose pretenses he mocked. Above all, the Trump voter celebrated this mockery.

The elite wanted so badly to play the role of shepherd. But this required the rest of us to play the role of sheep. A large segment of America's population said no thanks.

That was Trump's populism.

Ok, no issues with that except Trump isn’t really a populist. But what’s next for Bannonism? Trump was a product of Bannon. What happens now to Farage/LePen/AfD etc? They all relied on Trump’s strengths.
I think that depends on Biden and his administration.

If he governs from the center and avoids over-reach, then it may be difficult for the populist Right to regain electoral traction. But historically this has proven very difficult for Democrat Administrations to do. The current scenario would seem to suggest that it may be especially difficult now, given Biden's age and given the imbalance of vitality within the Democrat Party: the Mensheviks are more numerous, but lack the conviction or the energy of the Bolshevik wing.

The bottom line is that the world is better off as clear and distinct nation-states with clear and distinct cultures. Alliances are fine, and necessary, but if alliances begin to dissolve into aspirational, international multicultures, or what Kojeve called the Universal Homogeneous State, then you can expect "Bannonism" to once again find its rhythm and its edge. If the Left insists on pushing its notion of "progress" beyond the natural frameworks of human society, then you can expect Bannonism to endure.

Naturam expellas furca, tamen usque recurret.

Trumpism is only getting started.

Depends how much he’ll charge for rally tickets and if Bannon has internet access from Prison. Of course Stephen Miller back at Breitbart can carry some of the torch.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Depends how much he’ll charge for rally tickets and if Bannon has internet access from Prison. Of course Stephen Miller back at Breitbart can carry some of the torch.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Not in a strict sense. In the ideological sense, the horse is out of the barn. Rs have seized the ground of being unapologetically American.

Reactions: HornKat and tturman
Not in a strict sense. In the ideological sense, the horse is out of the barn. Rs have seized the ground of being unapologetically American.

How does that reconcile with Trump trying to destroy what makes America great? Fortunately he can’t do it again.

Anti-elitism was the real theme of Trump's politics. Ironic, yes. But true. He resonated with, and sought to resonate with, the common-sense political awareness of the masses, rather than the over-educated (not to say the philosophic) dandies of either party. He was a Republican primarily due to the fact that by 2016, elitism was far more endemic to the Left than the Right. The Left controlled the high ground of culture in the arts, the academy, and the media.

The common-sense political awareness that he tapped into was drawn to Trump because he made himself an object of intense hatred for all these groups that took themselves so seriously and whose pretenses he mocked. Above all, the Trump voter celebrated this mockery.

The elite wanted so badly to play the role of shepherd. But this required the rest of us to play the role of sheep. A large segment of America's population said no thanks.

That was Trump's populism.
Horseshit.

I think that depends on Biden and his administration.

If he governs from the center and avoids over-reach, then it may be difficult for the populist Right to regain electoral traction. But historically this has proven very difficult for Democrat Administrations to do. The current scenario would seem to suggest that it may be especially difficult now, given Biden's age and given the imbalance of vitality within the Democrat Party: the Mensheviks are more numerous, but lack the conviction or the energy of the Bolshevik wing.

The bottom line is that the world is better off as clear and distinct nation-states with clear and distinct cultures. Alliances are fine, and necessary, but if alliances begin to dissolve into aspirational, international multicultures, or what Kojeve called the Universal Homogeneous State, then you can expect "Bannonism" to once again find its rhythm and its edge. If the Left insists on pushing its notion of "progress" beyond the natural frameworks of human society, then you can expect Bannonism to endure.

Naturam expellas furca, tamen usque recurret.
Kirby will always be an Elmer Fudd.

How does that reconcile with Trump trying to destroy what makes America great? Fortunately he can’t do it again.

The above is an allegation that will continue. These are non-specific, emotion-based accusations with no substance. Conservatives must continue to focus on the project and not that kinda stuff.

The above is an allegation that will continue. These are non-specific, emotion-based accusations with no substance. Conservatives must continue to focus on the project and not that kinda stuff.

So dump Charlie Kirk and the fake news outlets that generate output in order to drive emotional responses?

I see him as a jingoist. Not particularly moored in any ethos other than “strong man” figurehead. He lacks any consistent vision to anything specific to a party per se.

He has the attention span of a goldfish. I get that Rs wear his record and his presidency. But it’s not like he has a lot in common with the beliefs of a Romney or the political compass of McConnell.

It’s a lot like the Sanders movement on the left. Why they didn’t vote for Hillary is that they werent that bought in to the Ds party line.

If you think about it. Obama, Sanders and Trump were all buoyed but an outsider energy. Obama was a movement. Same for Bernie. Different people, but similar with Trump. That’s the populist thing to me.

People have been wanting change in different forms and are still a frustrated voting population.

Reactions: hhshusky2002
Conservative populism isn’t going anywhere. Someone else will fill the void and press forward, except without the chaos and disfunction of Trump.

I see him as a jingoist. Not particularly moored in any ethos other than “strong man” figurehead. He lacks any consistent vision to anything specific to a party per se.

He has the attention span of a goldfish. I get that Rs wear his record and his presidency. But it’s not like he has a lot in common with the beliefs of a Romney or the political compass of McConnell.

It’s a lot like the Sanders movement on the left. Why they didn’t vote for Hillary is that they werent that bought in to the Ds party line.

If you think about it. Obama, Sanders and Trump were all buoyed but an outsider energy. Obama was a movement. Same for Bernie. Different people, but similar with Trump. That’s the populist thing to me.

People have been wanting change in different forms and are still a frustrated voting population.
I get the frustration. I just don’t know how anyone could listen to Trump for 5 minutes and not reflexively check to make sure their wallet was still in their possession.

He constantly uses grifter phrasing straight from late night infomercials. “I didn’t believe Obama was not born in this country but my investigators in Hawaii tell me they can’t believe what they are finding, so now I’m not so sure.”

“Lots of people are saying...”, “Believe me, nobody knows as much as I do about...”

I keep waiting for him to belt out “but wait, don’t answer yet!” and throw in a set of steak knives.

I am all for an outsider, but I want one that isn’t a grifter, one that keeps his/her hands on the wheel but accepts expert advice, one that doesn’t legitimize ludicrous conspiracies, one who (in short) isn’t a shitstain of a human being.

I get the frustration. I just don’t know how anyone could listen to Trump for 5 minutes and not reflexively check to make sure their wallet was still in their possession.

He constantly uses grifter phrasing straight from late night infomercials. “I didn’t believe Obama was not born in this country but my investigators in Hawaii tell me they can’t believe what they are finding, so now I’m not so sure.”

“Lots of people are saying...”, “Believe me, nobody knows as much as I do about...”

I keep waiting for him to belt out “but wait, don’t answer yet!” and throw in a set of steak knives.

I am all for an outsider, but I want one that isn’t a grifter, one that keeps his/her hands on the wheel but accepts expert advice, one that doesn’t legitimize ludicrous conspiracies, one who (in short) isn’t a shitstain of a human being.

Sorry, I think I might not have put enough distance between those outsiders! I merely was pointing out it wasn’t coming from a party POV.

Trump is a phenomenon that deserves its own special place in hell or history depending on your seat in the aisles. But I am in no way comparing them as equivalents. Tho I do believe 2016 voters might have hoped they were closer in human compassion and competence. I think 2020 shows what happens when you don’t deliver on the hopes of these voters. I would say Obama getting a second term also shows the opposite.

Conservative populism isn’t going anywhere. Someone else will fill the void and press forward, except without the chaos and disfunction of Trump.
Actually I think conservative populism is in really good shape for the future. Between holding the Senate, the movement in picking up House seats and not losing a race in any swing state. Winning with the State legislatures and the subsequent redistricting and reapportionment that's certain to follow and picking up new GOP seats as a result. Having a majority in SCOTUS and sheer number of new federal circuit and appellate judges that have been confirmed by the Senate (thanks President Trump for keeping your campaign promise to reshape the judiciary into one that would interpret the constitution as the framers intended it to be interpreted),....yes sir, I think the movement and the GOP is in good shape.

Kirby will always be an Elmer Fudd.
Elmer Fudd may be on to something.

But maybe you could explain your objection to the post with a bit more detail.

You'd have to risk coming out from behind that protective wall of insults. But I think the risk would be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilfield
He fired Bannon a long time ago. Get a life.

ADVERTISEMENT