ADVERTISEMENT

What effect will we feel by losing

Hookedonit

Mar 21, 2018
Gary Patterson ? He definitely helped last year compared to the year before.

We'll be fine. He definitely helped by bringing new ideas into the coaching circle. He's done all he can do. PK is an excellent DC. It's up to the players to execute at this point. Most of the time, the soft culture in Austin hurts our team.

Reactions: Hookedonit
We'll be fine. He definitely helped by bringing new ideas into the coaching circle. He's done all he can do. PK is an excellent DC. It's up to the players to execute at this point. Most of the time, the soft culture in Austin hurts our team.
I feel like it’s a bend don’t break type defense that concedes the short pass especially over the middle.

I think people overvalue what Patterson did last year. No doubt he was helpful and added value, but he didn’t call one play on defense or coach one practice. Probably helped sark more than anything.

The truth is PK is a good DC who has put multiple dudes in the NFL. Just needed a year for guys to develop in the system.

Reactions: diadevic
I think people overvalue what Patterson did last year. No doubt he was helpful and added value, but he didn’t call one play on defense or coach one practice. Probably helped sark more than anything.

The truth is PK is a good DC who has put multiple dudes in the NFL. Just needed a year for guys to develop in the system.
Patterson was a value add. It's the tiniest little adjustments that can be made that separate you from a top 75 defense to a top 25 defense.
Want a stat that will blow your mind?

In 2021 Texas defense ranked #99 over-all. There were an average of 70.1 plays per game ran against our defense.
In 2022 Texas defense ranked #28 over-all.
There were and average of 74.3 plays per game ran against our defense.

Now-- you tell me if Patterson made any difference.

Patterson was a value add. It's the tiniest little adjustments that can be made that separate you from a top 75 defense to a top 25 defense.

In 2021 Texas defense ranked #99 over-all. There were an average of 70.1 plays per game ran against our defense.

I won’t say definitely Patterson wasn’t responsible, but second year in the system could’ve also had a big impact. We’ll find out this year. This D has the tools to be top 20. Will it be? Who knows….

Ahhh, I don’t know about this. A lot of coaches success often involves lucky timing on players growth, experience, and sticking around. Same here. Was it Patterson’s greatness or just good timing on experienced players? Let’s ask Dykes and see what he says.

Ahhh, I don’t know about this. A lot of coaches success often involves lucky timing on players growth, experience, and sticking around. Same here. Was it Patterson’s greatness or just good timing on experienced players? Let’s ask Dykes and see what he says.
When you jump 71 spots in over-all ranking- yet opposing teams still manage to run 4 more plays per game against you--- something was working properly....

It's both. Players had more experience but Patterson no doubt had his hand in schemes.

When you jump 71 spots in over-all ranking- yet opposing teams still manage to run 4 more plays per game against you--- something was working properly....
Let's be real though, Gary Patterson's last 4 to 5 years at TCU their defenses were pretty bad. Let's compare GP's defenses from 2016-2020.

2016-64th in total defense
2017-16th in total defense
2018-40th in total defense
2019-58th in total defense
2020-35th in total defense

Now lets look at Pete Kwiatkowski's last 5 seasons at Washington in that same time period.

2016-8th in total defense
2017-5th in total defense
2018-5th in total defense
2019-16th in total defense
2020-39th in total defense.

This illusion that PK needs Patterson to have success is asinine. The 4 years he was the DC at Boise they finished inside the top 12 three out of the four years. The guy has got a track record of being a a great defensive coach. And on top of that he was putting guys in the NFL every year. From 2014-2019 he had 16 defensive players drafted.

Patterson might have helped a little bit but I think the fact we actually had some continuity with the coaching staff was a big part of the defense's big jump. When's the last time we have had the same defensive coordinator for the 3rd straight year. My guess would be Manny Diaz back in 2011-2013.

Reactions: DHHorn
I think we are seeing a shift in the culture in the locker room under this staff. I think the low number of transfers this spring kind of shows that. Kids are buying in. Now it just has to translate to the field this fall. No excuses to not win 10+ games this season. The roster is in place to do that.

I was amazed by an interview with Ojomo last year. He said guys in the locker room were talking about all the NFL $ they were going to make. He asked how that was going to be when they were not even starters?

Goes to show how bad the locker room had been.

Let's be real though, Gary Patterson's last 4 to 5 years at TCU their defenses were pretty bad. Let's compare GP's defenses from 2016-2020.

2016-64th in total defense
2017-16th in total defense
2018-40th in total defense
2019-58th in total defense
2020-35th in total defense

Now lets look at Pete Kwiatkowski's last 5 seasons at Washington in that same time period.

2016-8th in total defense
2017-5th in total defense
2018-5th in total defense
2019-16th in total defense
2020-39th in total defense.

This illusion that PK needs Patterson to have success is asinine. The 4 years he was the DC at Boise they finished inside the top 12 three out of the four years. The guy has got a track record of being a a great defensive coach. And on top of that he was putting guys in the NFL every year. From 2014-2019 he had 16 defensive players drafted.

Patterson might have helped a little bit but I think the fact we actually had some continuity with the coaching staff was a big part of the defense's big jump. When's the last time we have had the same defensive coordinator for the 3rd straight year. My guess would be Manny Diaz back in 2011-2013.
I was digging what you were saying until you closed it with Manny Diaz. When I read that name, I became violently ill and heard the BYU fight song over and over and over in my head.

Reactions: HornDrummer
I was digging what you were saying until you closed it with Manny Diaz. When I read that name, I became violently ill and heard the BYU fight song over and over and over in my head.
I'll never forget that Taysom Hill game. That was the day I despised Manny Diaz lol. But I was just saying he was the last defensive coordinator to be here for 3 consecutive years. We have had a ton of turnover there and I really believe that having coaching stability on both sides of the ball is something to factor in this season.

Reactions: freeper
I'll never forget that Taysom Hill game. That was the day I despised Manny Diaz lol. But I was just saying he was the last defensive coordinator to be here for 3 consecutive years. We have had a ton of turnover there and I really believe that having coaching stability on both sides of the ball is something to factor in this season.
I agree with you on the consistency thing. When you've got young players having to learn a whole new system every season, they never get to where they can just react to what they're seeing instead of having to stop and think first. Just realizing that Manny Diaz was the last time we had the same guy for 3 years is super depressing and then adding in the WHO it was makes it even worse.

• Angry
Reactions: EWNHorn
ADVERTISEMENT