ADVERTISEMENT

What happened?

LongfellowDrew

Dec 5, 2008
To Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, USC, Penn St, Florida St and Notre Dame? We’re not the only football program that hasn’t been a power house in quite some time.

My opinion is that the SEC got real smart and branded themselves in a way (with ESPN and other outlets) that the best football is played there. Add Satan at Bama and it really made that believable. I know a few top end D1 recruits that wanted to go to Texas and OU but went SEC just because they felt if they could make it in the SEC then they could play NFL ball. That was a real mindset.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Just for sh!ts and giggles, imagine life in cfb without him coaching. His entire roster is predominantly 5* & 4* recruits. If 2/3 of those recruits decided to go elsewhere, that’s a huge impact on the cfb landscape IMO. If we had landed just the Brockenmeyer bros for the Oline, how would that have affected us?

To Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, USC, Penn St, Florida St and Notre Dame? We’re not the only football program that hasn’t been a power house in quite some time.
I don’t think it’s one thing. All those programs have different issues. Nebraska created a lot of Nebraska’s issues. USC both before and after the Pete Carroll years struggled so their struggles aren’t surprising.

Nebraska is easy. There used to be 200 farm boys show up every year to walk on. Imagine being able to keep your 2nd and 3rd team fresh by using those walk ons as tackling dummies. Then, every year, one if those walk ons jumps up and becomes all conference or all-amerucan because for the first time in their life they're actually training with weights, not tossing hay.

Big Agricultural killed Nebraska.

I don’t think it’s one thing. All those programs have different issues. Nebraska created a lot of Nebraska’s issues. USC both before and after the Pete Carroll years struggled so their struggles aren’t surprising.
Yeah but they have one thing in common. Well two things.

Nebraska is easy. There used to be 200 farm boys show up every year to walk on. Imagine being able to keep your 2nd and 3rd team fresh by using those walk ons as tackling dummies. Then, every year, one if those walk ons jumps up and becomes all conference or all-amerucan because for the first time in their life they're actually training with weights, not tossing hay.

Steve Pederson killed the Nebraska program.

ND and PS are close. But in the case of the other schools they just didn't hire good coaches.

MI is pounding their chest talking tough because they beat WA on national tv. However WA is sliding downhill fast.

Maybe SC needs a high profile personality like Pete Carroll to succeed.

Mike Novak is going to be a disaster at FSU. I'm glad Bobby Bowden won't be around to watch this.

And we're on our 3rd coach in the last 9 years.

Hiring good coaches solves a lot of problems.

Joining the BIG12 with no more partial qualifiers or non-qualifiers killed Nebraska. They loaded up with sub 80 IQ dudes from California & Florida during all but the end of the Osbourne era. Being able to take guys the other heavyweights couldn't was an enormous advantage.

I think the walk-on story just sounded better to the media than saying half the team was eligible for the Special Olympics.

ND and PS are close. But in the case of the other schools they just didn't hire good coaches.

MI is pounding their chest talking tough because they beat WA on national tv. However WA is sliding downhill fast.

Maybe SC needs a high profile personality like Pete Carroll to succeed.

Mike Novak is going to be a disaster at FSU. I'm glad Bobby Bowden won't be around to watch this.

And we're on our 3rd coach in the last 9 years.

Hiring good coaches solves a lot of problems.

Mike Norvell, hired from Memphis, is the FSU head coach.

Steroid testing and not being able to accept partial and non qualifiers killed Nebraska.

Ummm
Notre Dame the last five years:

2021 - 12
2020 - 4
2019 - 12
2018 - 5
2017 - 11

I’m not sure they belong on this list.

Ummm
Notre Dame the last five years:

2021 - 12
2020 - 4
2019 - 12
2018 - 5
2017 - 11

I’m not sure they belong on this list.
Since 1993 ND has not won a single P6 level bowl game and none of them were even close something like 0/9. And there's a saying about ND coaches those who and those who don't and they're referring to nc's. It's been 33 years now.

Not a pummel but a win

Yeah I thought Rattler got outplayed by the Nebraska QB. It's crazy how out-of-control the hype machine got for him during the offseason.

Riley's teams have tended to get stronger as the year goes on, and that better happen again this year, or we probably won't even win the conference. Defense is a little better than last year, but I don't think our offense is quite as good.

RRR is going to be quite a battle. Just a few weeks away!

I know Bell is big on Rattler, but I just don't see it. He's very average. He's not even close to being in Mayfield's, Murray's or Hurts' league.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Since 1993 ND has not won a single P6 level bowl game and none of them were even close something like 0/9. And there's a saying about ND coaches those who and those who don't and they're referring to nc's. It's been 33 years now.
Not sure how not winning a P6 level bowl tops being in the College Football Playoff. To me, it doesn’t. ND has had two top five finishes in the last four years.

No biggie. We’ll just agree to disagree.

Reactions: outhereincali

Well this and not recruiting Florida

Not sure how not winning a P6 level bowl tops being in the College Football Playoff. To me, it doesn’t. ND has had two top five finishes in the last four years.

No biggie. We’ll just agree to disagree.
Hey @MiccoMacey what's up with Austin Stogner? It doesn't seem like he's been involved much this year. Is he injured?

He’s a QB if your breathing you’ll go in the first round but he was seen as a top pick. Now it’s mid to late first. Quite the fall.
Here's the deal, as much as OU fans would like him to stay and win 2 more Heisman's, we have a log jam of 5* Qb's. Rattler has to go to the draft this year because no way Caleb Williams is going to ride pine next year, he'll hit the portal imo and then 5* Malachi Nelson coming in in the spring

ADVERTISEMENT