ADVERTISEMENT

What must Shaka do different/better?

Who should be the next coach @ the Drum?
You're such a party vixen that you didn't know we are tearing down the drum?

I want to live the life where I party so hard that I don't even have time to read the news.

Teach me how.

1-- call billy donovan. he may be nba-headed so it may be for naught, but you call him. maybe call rick pitino if donovan isn't interested. he's old but he's the best coach in the country. and i don't care about some stupid shoe company scandal. i just don't. maybe put feelers out to hoiberg too.
2-- beard
2a-- buzz williams-- those 2 can just flat out coach. buzz should've been the hire last go round but we were more interested in "making history".
3-- musselman-- wouldn't break my heart. his style works here. then again, our current guy's style should work here, too, but turns out the brains of that outfit resides in baton rouge.
4-- gregg marshall-- he's a weirdo egomaniac, BUT HE'S DANG GOOD
5-- riiiiiiiick.... we're sorry.

Reactions: westx
1-- call billy donovan. he may be nba-headed so it may be for naught, but you call him. maybe call rick pitino if donovan isn't interested. he's old but he's the best coach in the country. and i don't care about some stupid shoe company scandal. i just don't. maybe put feelers out to hoiberg too.
2-- beard
2a-- buzz williams-- those 2 can just flat out coach. buzz should've been the hire last go round but we were more interested in "making history".
3-- musselman-- wouldn't break my heart. his style works here. then again, our current guy's style should work here, too, but turns out the brains of that outfit resides in baton rouge.
Pitino is done bro.

Hiring hookers/strippers for teenage boys sounds funny if you're listening to a guy tell stories in a bar or around the camp fire--- in the real world, it's a death sentence.

Mommas don't want their baby boys hanging out with hookers/strippers.

UT would shutter the men's basketball program before hiring Rick Pitino.

Make Billy Donovan say no first. Maybe you get lucky and find he's tired of the NBA, or maybe he'd just die from laughter when CDC popped the question. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Would have once said the same for Tony Bennett, but despite putting together regular-season squads that are excellent on offense and outstanding on defense, his postseason results are just beyond disturbing at this point (e.g, first ever to lose a 1/16 game -- and lost it by 20 points). Maybe he finally redeems himself somewhat this year.

Hoiberg would be a terrific hire. Previous success at this level (specifically, this conference), appealing offenses, charismatic. Don't know much about his desire to continue coaching in the NBA, though.

Beard obviously checks a lot of boxes, despite a shortish resume. Wouldn't have to worry about the loyalty of a UT alum. Stellar defenses, good offenses, starting to recruit well off of his success -- and is kicking ass at this level, not in the Sun Belt (beat Kansas by 12 on the road last year and by 29 at home last week). Added benefit of weakening a conference opponent.

Buzz Williams did a very good job at Marquette, except for his final season, and his VTech teams have improved every year, with this year's team looking really good on both offense and defense in the strongest conference (this year) in college basketball. From Texas. Also only 46 years old. A little concerned that this is his first VTech team in five seasons to have a good defense, though.

Eric Musselman is a former NBA coach who has Nevada looking very good on offense and defense and who is recruiting well. Has done a great job working the transfer market for the pieces he needs.

Not a big fan of the idea of hiring Gregg Marshall. You can get away with being a raging psychopath at a small-time school where you're the only game in town and people are more willing to tolerate your bullsh*t, but it's not hard to see his personality type working out poorly in this type of environment. Bad fit, in my opinion. His teams have also only gotten past the first weekend once in the six years since his Final Four run.

No thanks to Rick Barnes ever again. New blood, please.

Last edited:
i also like brad underwood for the record. talent-depleted at illinois and they still play people close. but he won't get a sniff due to the one and done at ok state and the w-l at illinois. but a heckuva coach.

Beard for sure needs to be in the conversation. College BB is about to be transformed with the NBA on the verge of dropping the minimum age to 18. That should eliminate the 1 and done prospects and allow coaches to actually build up a program. In that scenario, coaches who know how to teach the game and develop players will thrive. Barnes is actually a damn good coach and will be much more successful in that environment. Lon Kruger is another one that falls in that category. Guys like Calipari, Shaka, Miller at Arizona, and Pitino are basically high profile AAU coaches.

The most successful college coaches in the future will be those geared towards teaching and player development. That will make the college game much more enjoyable to watch. College ball these days is driven by guards and wings. the speed and athleticism by perimeter players just simply overwhelm their opponents. Big men are non existent because it takes them longer to develop their games. The college game will be much better but the NBA game may slowly diminish since every 18 year old who can play a little will get drafted on their potential.

In addition to the other names mentioned, I think Avery Johnson would also be a great hire. The best hire in my opinion would be Tony Bennett.

Reactions: HornDrummer
2-- beard
I like 1,2,3,4. Not 2a and not 5.

Shaka recruited some nice individual talent, but not a good team. If this team had a pg like DJ Augustine, they would be nice. Too many of our players are the same guy, and the shooting is too inconsistent. We need shooters that play defense. I was never excited about Coleman, because he is one dimensional, and he doesn't make the game easier for anyone. Same goes for most of our players. We don't have complete players, at any position on the team. Not one. And they don't excel at any one thing either. Febres was supposed to excel at shooting, but he is some-timing. Coleman can't get to the rack, he has no jumper, and no athleticism. We need better play from our pg. That would change the dynamics of the team.

Last edited:
It says what we’ve all been saying — Shaka is too expensive to fire this year, unfortunately. The rest of Finger’s analysis is weak and poorly reasoned, IMO.

It says what we’ve all been saying — Shaka is too expensive to fire this year, unfortunately. The rest of Finger’s analysis is weak and poorly reasoned, IMO.

It's a shame that the biggest reason to keep Shaka is the buyout. If anyone could afford it, it's Texas. Not sure CDC wants to go into the coffers for it though - maybe some basketball centric boosters will step up their giving. That said, we are already raising big money for other projects.

I don't see Texas firing Smart, even though it would be justified. He's owed too much money and that money owed to him isn't Monopoly money. It is what it is. Its basketball.

So let's play this out--

Texas calls around and vouches for Shaka. The new school(s) interested in hiring him realize they can get him at a discount because Texas owes him over ten million. New school offers Shaka a 6 year 10 million contract with Texas paying the deferred contract.

We ain't getting out of this without a pound of flesh. It's just that simple.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
So let's play this out--

Texas calls around and vouches for Shaka. The new school(s) interested in hiring him realize they can get him at a discount because Texas owes him over ten million. New school offers Shaka a 6 year 10 million contract with Texas paying the deferred contract.

We ain't getting out of this without a pound of flesh. It's just that simple.

Too early for a Colombian boat ride?...lol

One thing that didn't hit me until this year is how soft the team plays. It is very evident they don't like the paint unless they have to every now and then. In addition, the S&C coach Daniel Roose clearly not doing his job.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
One thing that didn't hit me until this year is how soft the team plays. It is very evident they don't like the paint unless they have to every now and then. In addition, the S&C coach Daniel Roose clearly not doing his job.

Good points. Do our players physically develop at all? Does Roach look any different now than he did two years ago?

Osetkowski looks better this year, but he was apparently allowed to have a truck driver’s diet for his entire redshirt season, because his physique and conditioning were an embarrassment last year.

Reactions: diadevic and westx
Will I be all alone in watching tonight’s horror show?

Tech laying an egg against WVU so far. Paving KU’s way to the final after the Jayhawks (probably) run through us like sh*t through a Christmas goose.

Will I be all alone in watching tonight’s horror show?

Tech laying an egg against WVU so far. Paving KU’s way to the final after the Jayhawks (probably) run through us like sh*t through a Christmas goose.

I'll have the game on my back porch TV, while drinking beer and listening to music. I have an idea of how tonight's game is going to go. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT