ADVERTISEMENT

What should matter more for a tournament resume?

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
Who you beat? Or who you lose to? The correct answer is probably both matter, but it's an interesting question. Look at a team like Purdue.

Purdue is 18-10 and 11-5 in the Big 10. They have good but not great wins @Indiana, at home against Ohio State, at home against Indiana, at home against BYU and at home against Iowa.

Purdue has losses to North Florida, Vanderbilt, Gardner Webb, Minnesota and Kansas State. All of which are pretty bad losses.

Should that resume get in over a team that's 18-10 with only 1 or 2 good wins but 0 bad losses?

This post was edited on 3/1 9:37 PM by utisdabomb12

"How about a team that's 17-12 with 6-10 conference record?"

Is there a reason you aggys try to screw up every thread? I'm not even going to get into a pissing contest because it wasn't the purpose of this thread. You aggys have serious lil bro syndrome, you need to let it go.
This post was edited on 3/1 11:02 PM by utisdabomb12

There are still 2 games left and then the conference tourney. After that, we should have a very good idea of who deserves to be there, including us. I think the committeee does a decent job. If anything, it is the small and mid conferences that get hosed.

"So what team are you talking about getting in over Purdue?"

No team in particular, it was just a general question.

In reference to Mike's post. This is why if Texas wins its next 3 games it will make the tournament.

"Let's look at Oklahoma State from last year, who made the tournament. They finished the year 21-12, 8-10 in conference. They had 3 RPI top 50 wins last year, all at home (Colorado, Texas, Kansas). Oklahoma State had a KenPom rating of around 23-25. They had an ESPN RPI of 45 going into the tournament. That Oklahoma State team finished as a #9 seed.

Let's look at Texas' resume. We are currently 17-12. 3 more wins and a loss would make us 20-13. That would also put us as at 8-10 in conference. If Texas beats Baylor they will also have 3 top 50 RPI wins (Baylor, WV and Iowa). Texas current KenPom rating is 21. Texas current ESPN RPI is 47.

If Texas beats Baylor, K-State and Tech/TCU they will have an identical conference record with Oklahoma State from last year. Oklahoma State's overall record will be one game better. Texas will have the same amount of RPI top 50 wins (Texas won one on a neutral court, OK.State won all of theirs at home so advantage Texas). Texas will have around the same KenPom and ESPN RPI rankings if they win these 3 games in a row. If Texas wins the next 3 they will likely have a higher KenPom and ESPN RPI in comparison with Ok. State from last year.

The bubble is also weaker this year and the Big 12 is stronger (helping the RPI). So like I said, win these next 3 games and I think we make the tournament."

This post was edited on 3/2 1:14 AM by utisdabomb12

if texas makes it to the tournament they'll just be one and done. It's almost worse to get your hopes up when you stink.

Originally posted by slothslovesalt:
if texas makes it to the tournament they'll just be one and done. It's almost worse to get your hopes up when you stink.
Not only that but it would be a life raft for Barnes if we snuck in. I'd rather just go ahead and go from a top 10 team to not even making the tourney to clearly show we need a new coach. Unacceptable underachievement for men's basketball. Our fanbase doesn't even care about the sport anymore. When you go from anger to apathy, it's time to make a change. Past time.

Texas is a much better team than half of the likely tourney field, including ANY team that makes it from the SEC not named the Wildcats, but with that said, you have to beat the teams on your schedule, and Texas hasn't. Our only wins in conference that haven't come against TCU, TTU, or KSU is one win against WVU. Texas has a chance for a big win tonight against Baylor, but it might be too little too late.

IF Texas beat Baylor and KSU, there is an outside chance they could make the NCAA tournament depending on how they do in the Big 12 tournament. The problem here is that Texas will have to play in the "play in" game, which won't help RPI, (but would get Texas to 20 wins) and then should they win that game, they'd get the highest seeded team likely KU, and would absolutely have to win that one.

Its not impossible but its a long shot. Its particularly agonizing that they are in this position given how close they were to winning several of the games they lost. They actually looked good against KU.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:

Purdue has losses to North Florida, Vanderbilt, Gardner Webb, Minnesota and Kansas State. All of which are pretty bad losses.

Hey, KSU is a good loss! Just ask OU Fans, heck they beat us twice!
smile.r191677.gif
As for UT, they are currently one of the Top 64 Teams in the Country (and probably currently a bubble type team), but should get in with 1 more win (provided it's against Baylor or KSU). I see them winning both of those games actually and making it a moot point, however should they somehow lose both, drop to 17-14, then they would need 2 wins in the Big 12 Tourney to get in (Just My Opinion).

Its about who you beat.

Always has been, always will be. You play to win the game. You get in the tourney to win. Not to lose pretty or lose to the prettiest girl.

This goes for every sport. First its about how many wins you have. You compare # of wins to others # of wins. Then you look at who each team beat to first build SOS. Then you look at the pretty losses and ugly losses. Then you look at how you've played lately.

I'd use this in basketball. Picking baseball tourney. And for NCAA football playoff resume.

And the above formula is what got tOSU in the playoffs. People cared less about their ugly Va Tech loss. And more about their wins and ranked wins late. And how they looked late. And how pretty they were. Not how ugly they were.

"And more about their wins and ranked wins late."

The thing is they really didn't finish great. They went 2-2 in the final 4 games, with no wins over RPI top 50 teams. They had a big win towards the end of the season against Kansas (but that was it). Very similar to Baylor tonight. OSU only had 1 RPI top 50 win in the final 18 games.

This post was edited on 3/2 5:05 PM by utisdabomb12

"And more about their wins and ranked wins late."

The thing is they really didn't finish great. They went 2-2 in the final 4 games, with no wins over RPI top 50 teams. They had a big win towards the end of the season against Kansas (but that was it). Very similar to Baylor tonight. OSU only had 1 RPI top 50 win in the final 18 games.

This post was edited on 3/2 5:05 PM by utisdabomb12
I should have been more clear. I was talking about tOSU getting in over BU and TCU in football this year.

Who you beat? Or who you lose to? The correct answer is probably both matter, but it's an interesting question. Look at a team like Purdue.

Purdue is 18-10 and 11-5 in the Big 10. They have good but not great wins @Indiana, at home against Ohio State, at home against Indiana, at home against BYU and at home against Iowa.

Should that resume get in over a team that's 18-10 with only 1 or 2 good wins but 0 bad losses?

K-State's a bad lose? Tell that to Kansas, OU x 2, Baylor, Iowa State, oSu, aTm, and soon UT-Austin!

"K-State's a bad loss?"

They are #80 in RPI. Not a horrible loss but not a very good loss. It would have certainly been one of A&M's better wins if they beat K-State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT