ADVERTISEMENT

Where does our defense go from here?

what the hell?....We are averaging 61 per game on offense......what do we need a defense for anyway?

I think someone said that if you score over 40 a game you cannot play defense. It is a law!

what the hell?....We are averaging 61 per game on offense......what do we need a defense for anyway?

I think someone said that if you score over 40 a game you cannot play defense. It is a law!
And that average is based on the defenses of UTEP and Texas Tech...

Reactions: oldhorn2
Hornsruleu....we are not looking for context here, just results.

They tackled in HS, so whats the tackling excuse? They play this game in HS so whats the excuse for not playing good?
The answer is like the Short game in Golf. A lot of people are now saying: "WTF Short game in Golf?" But it is true, chipping and putting are the first things in golf to go away and make you look like a new beginner when you play again. The art of the short game has to be practiced to become good at it again. Same with tackling. That is why our D looks like new beginners. We bitch and complain about miss tackles and we wonder why they cannot wrap up? Madness it is all madness.

This team hasn't practiced real tackling since high school. Orlando ball...

You don't care about context? Oh, really?! o_O

Texas isn't going to be scoring 60+ points every game. Sooner or later, a defense will be required.

I was wrong about our secondary. This all star group isn't worth its hype. At the linebacker spot, Overshown will be one of those "project" players that will always be just a project and not the difference maker that Texas needs. He is simply ineffective.

TCU's offense 80 plays for 457 yards vs Texas' 60 plays for 388 yards.

I actually was pleased with the defense. Look in today’s football you are going to give up yards, and points. That’s just the nature of the beast. You aren’t going to win 14-13 slugfests. In today’s game defenses have to limit big plays, force Fg’s and create a turnover once in awhile. For the most part our defense did that today. And they got ****ed by the refs several times that causes a lot of TCU’s points.

It is pretty difficult for me to attempt to analyze what went wrong. Tech played very confident and had good success against our defense. Was it coaching? Was it secondary? Was it the linebackers? It is hard for me to say other than general observations.

Pass coverage: Linebackers did a poor job, but our high regarded secondary could not make plays and seemed to be out of position a good amount. I have no idea if it was the defensive scheme by the coach or players not doing their job. We had no answer for their receivers and the YACs.

Run defense: Didn't seem bad except for the one that Thompson broke

Rush defense: Didn't seem bad. It looked like the defensive linemen overran the pocket on several plays.

In general, Overshown didn't look that good. Tom Herman blamed the poor tackling on the reduced practice going all the way back to the spring due to Covid. I will buy that for now, unless we just don't improve.
And Tech was shut out the first half against K State

Reactions: westx
I was wrong about our secondary. This all star group isn't worth its hype. At the linebacker spot, Overshown will be one of those "project" players that will always be just a project and not the difference maker that Texas needs. He is simply ineffective.

TCU's offense 80 plays for 457 yards vs Texas' 60 plays for 388 yards.
The defense played well enough to win today. Not saying they were great but
And Tech was shut out the first half against K State
Their QB got hurt was a big reason they got shut out.

Texas will lose 3-4 more games.
Not very good!
I think we lose two more. Maybe if Mitchell loses the pony tails- we may have a chance at losing only one more :)

Last edited:
RRS will be totally unpredictable this year imo. I couldn’t begin to give a prediction on way or another.

RRS will be totally unpredictable this year imo. I couldn’t begin to give a prediction on way or another.

My only prediction would be to bet the over.
Based on recent history, both defenses will likely suck

ADVERTISEMENT