ADVERTISEMENT

Who coaches kickers?

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
With all the talk about special teams coaches recently, I began to realize that there are no coaches designated for coaching kickers. Are these guys expected to train and practice relatively independently? Is there anyone on the staff (at UT or anywhere) that is given them technical advice and coaching on kicking and punting?

With all the talk about special teams coaches recently, I began to realize that there are no coaches designated for coaching kickers. Are these guys expected to train and practice relatively independently? Is there anyone on the staff (at UT or anywhere) that is given them technical advice and coaching on kicking and punting?
I can tell you that there is usually a coach designated to coach both the punter and Kicker. Things may have changed since way back when, but honestly how many kickers do you know that coach?

I wonder if they handle kickers and punters with a type of periodic consulting from somebody that know what they are talking about.

I wonder if they handle kickers and punters with a type of periodic consulting from somebody that know what they are talking about.
A kicking consultant? Is that an hourly position or a situational charge?

I can tell you that there is usually a coach designated to coach both the punter and Kicker. Things may have changed since way back when, but honestly how many kickers do you know that coach?
Just seems odd that for such a specialized skill, we don't have specialized coaches. I'm not sure what the rules are but even someone as an analyst or Grad Assistant type role who actually knows the ins and outs of kicking.

A kicking consultant? Is that an hourly position or a situational charge?
It is an interesting topic from the OP. Just trying to add to the conversation. Would you prefer to foot the expense of a full time kicking coach? Or have an expert come in once a month and after games or whenever to work on form and clean little things up

It is an interesting topic from the OP. Just trying to add to the conversation. Would you prefer to foot the expense of a full time kicking coach? Or have an expert come in once a month and after games or whenever to work on form and clean little things up
I was seeking clarification of what you were suggesting. I could be wrong but I'm not sure college teams hire actual kicking coaches

I was seeking clarification of what you were suggesting. I could be wrong but I'm not sure college teams hire actual kicking coaches
Oh. Most consultants I have paid have been travel, accommodations and the daily consulting fee.

Well I don't know who's going to coach the kickers but Cameron Dicker has an onside kick move that with some fine tuning can be devastating to the other team it almost worked against LSU and OK. You can see it on tv and see how close we were.

ADVERTISEMENT