ADVERTISEMENT

Who should most likely be the next HC @ Birdland

Not sure but it needs to be someone like Mark Mangino. An offensive mind that can bring skill players and put points on the board. Defense is secondary at a school like because you're not going to get elite talent at every position.

Maybe Sterlin Gilbert or Kendal Briles

Reactions: LonghornMM
At some point in the near future, Kendal Briles is going to be a HC somewhere.
I've wondered how long he has to lay low before he gets a chance. Louie CK only had to disappear for a couple of months. Brian Williams (NBC to MSNBC) a couple of years. Art Briles forever. That last name carries so much negativity, I wonder if he will ever get a chance. But if he does - it will have to be at a school like KU - they aren't going to get a top name, or even a top coordinator. It would be interesting to see what he could do. He's a recruiting machine, loves the gray area, and his offenses are the most entertaining in the country. A starving school eventually will take a chance.

If GA Tech gets rid of Paul Johnson I would go all in on him. I would also take a look a Jeff Monken. As a Longhorn I would hate to see that flexbone once a year because of their cut block schemes. But if I was lacking talent some kind of ball control option offense would be your best bet to win games.

Reactions: diadevic
If GA Tech gets rid of Paul Johnson I would go all in on him. I would also take a look a Jeff Monken. As a Longhorn I would hate to see that flexbone once a year because of their cut block schemes. But if I was lacking talent some kind of ball control option offense would be your best bet to win games.

I agree. Both are very good football coaches. Their offenses are not easy to prepare for.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn

That might work. Maybe they can be the new Nebraska.

If you're going that route I'd go after Frank Solich at Ohio though.

The Osbourne Nebraska offense is run out of the I with lots of iso and power plays. Paul Johnson's flexbone is based off the wishbone and relies on lighter quicker more athletic lineman that can get to the second level and block linebackers. Its easier to get the smaller quicker lineman that the flexbone requires.

The Osbourne Nebraska offense is run out of the I with lots of iso and power plays. Paul Johnson's flexbone is based off the wishbone and relies on lighter quicker more athletic lineman that can get to the second level and block linebackers. Its easier to get the smaller quicker lineman that the flexbone requires.

I know the difference. My point was the power I has worked in the midwest before. Flexbone I can't recall.

Either way, you still need elite defensive players and I don't think you'll get that at Kansas. You have to be able to put points up in a hurry.

"You like white girls? The white girls are going to love you...." <--------- Kendall Briles
Like I said, "gray" area. He also appeared at track meets during quiet time and made the excessive phone calls. This is what we know of.

I know the difference. My point was the power I has worked in the midwest before. Flexbone I can't recall.

Either way, you still need elite defensive players and I don't think you'll get that at Kansas. You have to be able to put points up in a hurry.

Kansas can't recruit the OL to run Osborne's offense. By the time the flexbone was popular the only ones running it at the division 1 level were the service academies. Paul Johnson has made it work at the power 5 level. The trick is you hold onto the ball as long as you can. Look at the Army OU game. OU only ran 40 offensive plays because they only had the ball for 15 minutes. Army ran the ball 78 times. Kansas is never going to be able to recruit enough talent on D so might as well go all in ball control.

Kansas can't recruit the OL to run Osborne's offense. By the time the flexbone was popular the only ones running it at the division 1 level were the service academies. Paul Johnson has made it work at the power 5 level. The trick is you hold onto the ball as long as you can. Look at the Army OU game. OU only ran 40 offensive plays because they only had the ball for 15 minutes. Army ran the ball 78 times. Kansas is never going to be able to recruit enough talent on D so might as well go all in ball control.

Georgia Tech >>>>>>>>>>>>> Kansas LOL.

Kansas 100% can recruit OL to run the I. There are plenty of Midwest kids to choose from.

It doesn't make a shit if you keep the ball for 10 minutes a quarter and only score once, when the other team can score in 2 1/2 minutes 3 out of 4 possessions. You get down by two scores...then what is the flexbone going to do?

Ball control isn't going to work in the Big 12 my friend.

Georgia Tech >>>>>>>>>>>>> Kansas LOL.

Kansas 100% can recruit OL to run the I. There are plenty of Midwest kids to choose from.

It doesn't make a shit if you keep the ball for 10 minutes a quarter and only score once, when the other team can score in 2 1/2 minutes 3 out of 4 possessions. You get down by two scores...then what is the flexbone going to do?

Ball control isn't going to work in the Big 12 my friend.

If that's the case then Les Miles would be the optimal choice for Kansas. He can recruit a dominant O-line and run his Bo Schembechler Power I offense.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I'd love to see Les Miles take the KU job.

Doesn't seem like a great fit to me. His offenses were weak for a long time at a place where he could recruit loads of NFL talent, which is not definitely not what KU is. Like weevil says, I think a small-time program like KU has to find someone who will bring a dynamic offense, because the defense is always going to be an weakness with their recruiting ceiling.

But if you want to add some weirdness and interesting PCs and interviews to the conference, Lester would be terrific.

Also, glad to see the Purple Wizard get another win over KU.

If that last KU drive was any indication of Beaty's general game management skills, I can see why he was fired. What kind of dumbass calls TOs twice after first downs on the last drive? How the f*ck did Charlie lose to this guy?

Reactions: westx
Doesn't seem like a great fit to me. His offenses were weak for a long time at a place where he could recruit loads of NFL talent, which is not definitely not what KU is. Like weevil says, I think a small-time program like KU has to find someone who will bring a dynamic offense, because the defense is always going to be an weakness with their recruiting ceiling.

But if you want to add some weirdness and interesting PCs and interviews to the conference, Lester would be terrific.

Miles would really be a name hire more than anything. Coaches aren't going to be beating down the door trying to take this job. If he's interested, and they can get him, Miles would be about as good as they could get.

Miles would really be a name hire more than anything. Coaches aren't going to be beating down the door trying to take this job. If he's interested, and they can get him, Miles would be about as good as they could get.

Oh, no doubt he would be the best chance they have at a name hire. I just think that a name hire is fool's gold in this case (like Charlie Weis was -- although Miles is, of course, a far better HC than Weis).

They need the second coming of Mark Mangino.

The Ramblin' Wreck knocked off Miami tonight to get bowl eligible. They've got Virginia next week in Atlanta and then they go on the road to Athens Community College to take on the Bulldogs. I doubt Johnson is going anywhere, although Tech should have at least two more wins this season, USF and Pitt. As far as football goes, Georgia Tech is certainly better than Kansas, both in history and as a place to be as a coach....

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT