ADVERTISEMENT

Why Carter lost

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
I heard about this documentary about the 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboys but I forgot about it. I finally watched it over the holidays and I enjoyed it so much I watched it again the next day.

It was a great story. Back in 1988 I followed hs fb closely. Back then it wasn't just Mojo. There was Yates hs in Houston, being from San Antonio there was Converse Judson. And then there was Dallas Carter. Ftr they beat 2 of the teams I listed that year.

I remembered the story about the grading controversy but I thought it was much ado about nothing. But what a team Carter had. 18 players getting college scholarships, 8 players in the pros. When recruiting season came around I looked to see who from Carter was available. It took a long time for TX to appeal to Carter hs. That's probably why TX hired Bruce Chambers who is also in the documentary.

But some kids screwed up bad and gave Carter hs a bad image that lasted for a long time. But it ends up with a happy ending cause those bad kids rebounded and have not gotten in any trouble since than and are leading good lives now.

And what a team that was.

Reactions: ScottdUT
I heard about this documentary about the 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboys but I forgot about it. I finally watched it over the holidays and I enjoyed it so much I watched it again the next day.

It was a great story. Back in 1988 I followed hs fb closely. Back then it wasn't just Mojo. There was Yates hs in Houston, being from San Antonio there was Converse Judson. And then there was Dallas Carter. Ftr they beat 2 of the teams I listed that year.

I remembered the story about the grading controversy but I thought it was much ado about nothing. But what a team Carter had. 18 players getting college scholarships, 8 players in the pros. When recruiting season came around I looked to see who from Carter was available. It took a long time for TX to appeal to Carter hs. That's probably why TX hired Bruce Chambers who is also in the documentary.

But some kids screwed up bad and gave Carter hs a bad image that lasted for a long time. But it ends up with a happy ending cause those bad kids rebounded and have not gotten in any trouble since than and are leading good lives now.

And what a team that was.
Best HS football team I've ever seen. My folks went to HS in Odessa and I was born there-- so I made my dad drive me to Dallas to see Permian play Carter. Carter kicked the living crap out them. Don't believe the movie crap. It was a whipping from start to finish.

Several of my friends played on that Judson team that played Carter in the championship game. Carter was in a class all their own that year, they weren't the best team I ever saw, that was 85 Yates, After Carter was stripped, the Judson players were offered the state title, they unanamously voted not to take the championship. It was the ultimate respect to the Carter kids.

Best HS football team I've ever seen. My folks went to HS in Odessa and I was born there-- so I made my dad drive me to Dallas to see Permian play Carter. Carter kicked the living crap out them. Don't believe the movie crap. It was a whipping from start to finish.

A lot of that 🎥 stuff was false. They didn't walk through the banner like they did in the movie and they weren't as dirty playing as the movie made them out to be either.

A lot of that 🎥 stuff was false. They didn't walk through the banner like they did in the movie and they weren't as dirty playing as the movie made them out to be either.

The dirty carter kics thing came from the fact that several of them were arrested later for robbing liquior stores.

They were caught because they did the robberies while wearing their letter jackets that even had their numbers on the sleve.

The score was only 14-9 and Permian played them tougher than anyone else. Now Carter spanked Judson in the state game 31-14. Don't forget Permian went on to win state the next year.

The score was only 14-9 and Permian played them tougher than anyone else. Now Carter spanked Judson in the state game 31-14. Don't forget Permian went on to win state the next year.

Ask Permian people what happened when they faced 85 Yates in the state title game? As I said, I was impressed with 89 Carter, they were the 2nd best team I witnessed, however 85 Yates was on a whole other level. No one was close to Yates that year.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Ask Permian people what happened when they faced 85 Yates in the state title game? As I said, I was impressed with 89 Carter, they were the 2nd best team I witnessed, however 85 Yates was on a whole other level. No one was close to Yates that year.

Agree. the '85 Yates team is the best HS football team I've ever seen. No one could score on them.

Yeah their 33 game win streak was ended. It has to come to an end sometime.

Carter and Permian played at DKR in the rain, and Winchell went like 7 for 25 passing if memory serves me correctly. It was not in Dallas.

Carter and Permian played at DKR in the rain, and Winchell went like 7 for 25 passing if memory serves me correctly. It was not in Dallas.
Was it Austin? Damn I'm getting old.

I'm pretty sure it was in Austin. I'm from West Texas, so Permian was always on tv back then, plus it was my Jr. Year in HS and I loved and played football so I was pretty locked in at the time.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Was it Austin? Damn I'm getting old.

Damn clob you lied about going to Dallas to watch the game. Even in the movie they didn't play in Dallas.

The Carter-Permian game was played in front of 10,000 people in a heavy downpour at The University of Texas at Austin's Memorial Stadium.

The aggy was right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT