ADVERTISEMENT

Why no comments on the new CFP proposal?

Okie70

Oct 9, 2001
Surprised no comments on the new 12 team playoff proposal from Big 12 guy Bolsby, the ND guy and subcommittee that looks to be a done deal. Lots of commotion on the OU, Husker and N Dame boards. Looks like a cool deal to me. Maybe the easiest way for the Horns to finally get into the playoffs (just teasing here, Longhorn MM).

The proposed structure doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Highlights:
1) No league qualifies automatically
2) No limit to number of participants from a conference
3) Out of all conference champions, the 6 highest ranked will make the 1st cut
4) The 2nd cut is the 6 highest ranked other teams as determined by the CFP Selection committee.

But no league qualified automatically now. Ask the Pac 12. Who should make the first cut?

I’m all for computer tabulated strength of scheduled accounting for 2/3 and human voting the remaining 1/3. Ohio State was awarded a gift last year. You have to honor the process of getting there or they’ll totally ruin the integrity of all other bowl games imo

I’m all for computer tabulated strength of scheduled accounting for 2/3 and human voting the remaining 1/3. Ohio State was awarded a gift last year. You have to honor the process of getting there or they’ll totally ruin the integrity of all other bowl games imo
It's all about the committee and conference commissioners now. It'll never make sense brother.

F*ckin’ hate it. Four teams is just right, IMO.
So you OK with Horns not making the cut for another 10 years (more sarcasm, Longhorn MM, honest).? Huskers used to it by now. But a 12 team playoff would have gotten the two best Big 12 teams in most years. Maybe SEC gets 3. Your guys beat Ga. OU beat Fla. and Auburn. Good stuff can happen.

Imo, conference champions are in. I don't care about the wealthy conferences and all that. You win your conference, you're in. There is something about the spirit of the sport. The sport I'm having serious difficulties with. So, how many conferences we got? Basketball does it and the biggest stories are the cinderellas. It would be good for cfb also.

Reactions: Belldozer1
8 teams.

Power 5 Conf Champs.

3 at large.

First bid-

Independent has to be in top 10 ie- Notre Dame.

Second bid-- non power 5 that is in the top 10.

Third bid-- wildcard. Highest ranking team NOT in gets in.

8 teams.

Power 5 Conf Champs.

3 at large.

First bid-

Not even close. I don't know what the hell yer thinkin Jethro.

I agree with @BringBackRoyal it should stay at 4. In an interview last week with RJ Young, Joel Klatt said expanding to 12 would be the final blow to the regular season and bowl games. I agree.

He also said the transfer portal was bad for college fb. I agree on that as well.

8 teams.

Power 5 Conf Champs.

3 at large.

First bid-

I like this model with exception that ND has odds in its favor and easiest path. They dont have to play a conference championship.

The conference championship game needs to be shit canned if this is adopted, maybe even if it’s not
The CCG is the only thing that would be keeping the committee somewhat honest. I say expand to 8 or 12 teams. Not sure why people are saying expanding the playoffs would be a final blow to the regular season? You still got to play the games.

The CCG is the only thing that would be keeping the committee somewhat honest. I say expand to 8 or 12 teams. Not sure why people are saying expanding the playoffs would be a final blow to the regular season? You still got to play the games.
It doesn’t make sense for the Big 12. It would be weird, but the Big 12 only needs a conference champioahip on years where there are teams with exact conference record. It doesn’t make any sense to win every game and then have replay a team you already beat.

I agree with @BringBackRoyal it should stay at 4. In an interview last week with RJ Young, Joel Klatt said expanding to 12 would be the final blow to the regular season and bowl games. I agree.

He also said the transfer portal was bad for college fb. I agree on that as well.
I like 4 better than 12, but to me, 8 is the sweet spot.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Not even close. I don't know what the hell yer thinkin Jethro.
Just laying out how it should be.

Here's why---

Every year your champion comes out of the power 5, and 99% of them have won their conference. I think 1 time a team that didn't win its conference, won.

So 5 from the P5 Champs.

The little guy never gets a shot. So-- Let's make college football a little more democratic. If you've got a non P5 in the top 10, they're in. It gives a boost to the small schools and makes it to where a small school COULD become a big enough name to move up in the world. And who knows, one day the little guy MIGHT pull off an upset. Just think of the TV ratings from Boise st vs Oklahoma.

The two other bids--

Independants- BYU, ND, Army etc-- weak schedule or not, if they run the table or finish in the top 10, they're in. But only 1. If ND is ranked 9 and BYU 10, ND gets in.

Final bid-- wild card.

Let's say undefeated Alabama beats undefeated Georgia in the SEC championship by 1 point in triple over time. The wild card bid can go to Georgia because, well, they deserve it.
Or, a heavily favored team that's undefeated loses in it's conference championship game to a 7-5 team because the better team has 6 starters on offense out because of food poisoning. 7-5 team beats them by a FG but everybody knows if those 6 kids weren't sick, it would have been a whipping.

This is the way.

With a little time on my hands, I looked back at the final AP Poll beginning at the inception of the CFP in 2014. Here are non-P5 in the top 15 Final AP Poll. I don't have a point to make in providing this information. I just thought it was interesting to see how some of these scenarios would have played out. In order to make up for the weak schedules and to pave a way for them, perhaps some of the mid-majors can do a "play-in" game like in the basketball tourney. It may never work, but it is fun to think about the possibilities.

2020: ND at 4, Cinci at 8, Coastal Carolina at 12
2019: ND at 12
2018: ND at 5, UCF at 11, Syracuse at 15
2017: UCF at 6, ND at 11
2016: Western Michigan at 15
2015: ND at 11
2014: Zilch

Any system where a rat bastard POS like Art Boyle’s can’t screw a team he doesn’t like and use his vote to leave them out of the top 25 so the computer rankings are skewed might have a chance.

If I told each and everyone one of you that OU was going to win it all in 2021 would that help things?

Just laying out how it should be.

Here's why---

Every year your champion comes out of the power 5, and 99% of them have won their conference. I think 1 time a team that didn't win its conference, won.

So 5 from the P5 Champs.

The little guy never gets a shot. So-- Let's make college football a little more democratic. If you've got a non P5 in the top 10, they're in. It gives a boost to the small schools and makes it to where a small school COULD become a big enough name to move up in the world. And who knows, one day the little guy MIGHT pull off an upset. Just think of the TV ratings from Boise st vs Oklahoma.

The two other bids--

Independants- BYU, ND, Army etc-- weak schedule or not, if they run the table or finish in the top 10, they're in. But only 1. If ND is ranked 9 and BYU 10, ND gets in.

Final bid-- wild card.

Let's say undefeated Alabama beats undefeated Georgia in the SEC championship by 1 point in triple over time. The wild card bid can go to Georgia because, well, they deserve it.
Or, a heavily favored team that's undefeated loses in it's conference championship game to a 7-5 team because the better team has 6 starters on offense out because of food poisoning. 7-5 team beats them by a FG but everybody knows if those 6 kids weren't sick, it would have been a whipping.

This is the way.
This is the way.

I like this model with exception that ND has odds in its favor and easiest path. They dont have to play a conference championship.
But ND then can't be included in the top 4 since not a conference champion and will be seeded No. 5 at best. So no first round bye. Irish board thinks this is a subtle signal to join the ACC which most do not want to do.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Any system where a rat bastard POS like Art Boyle’s can’t screw a team he doesn’t like and use his vote to leave them out of the top 25 so the computer rankings are skewed might have a chance.
If Texas would have hired Briles right after Mack , you’d have 2 or 3 additional NC’s right now and all would be forgiven.

ADVERTISEMENT