ADVERTISEMENT

Why the overconfidence vs BYU?

D.X. Bible

Sep 11, 2003
I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....

Because WE are TEXAS, and they are BYU.

Because WE are TEXAS, and they are BYU.

We are much better than last year.

Because they don't have the athletes, speed, firepower or depth to hang with Texas for 4 quarters?

You will be wrong and I expect you to come eat crow when Texas wins by 2+ TDs. BYU is not a good team.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Because I know BYU well, don't compare one team like TCU or ou to another like BYU, and am allowed to be confident on some games like this one, just as I'll be nervous as crap against K-State and ou?

It's not unreasonable to be very confident in some games, and not confident in others ... it's called personal knowledge and feelings again particular games.

who the F cares about last year? or any other past year at this point?

Texas is not the same team and BYU is not anywhere close to any sort of powerhouse team.

Just on offense BYU has no business hanging with the talent Texas has right now, and most people trust Major to use those weapons

Originally posted by ATRumbler:
We are much better than last year.
We're better, but the extent is yet to be determined. NMSU didn't tell us anything because they are so bad.

We will know more when we see how the OL fares against a good front 7, and how Ash fares getting the ball to receivers who aren't all wide open and without all the time in the world to sit back there. The jury is still way out on our QB and OL.

The BYU offense is pretty bad, so that should keep us in it. If the offense can muster 24 pts. and not turn it over a bunch, that should be enough for us to get out of there with a win

I have no idea what to expect. Are we going to get last year's game at Kansas? The game at Mississippi? Somewhere in between? I still think we know nothing about this year's team at this point, but Saturday will start to provide some answers.

Originally posted by Gaylord_Focker:
They lost to Virginia. Let's stop the charade
Kansas went 1-11 last season and nearly beat us. We have no idea what kind of team is going to take the field on Saturday, IMO. I think we win, but I don't think this is a pencil-it-in kind of game.

If Mack preaches all week that the most physical team will win and has the practices all be physical in nature then Texas does win comfortably IMO. Now if the Mack we all know does like he normally does and tries to make this only about execution or all about the mental aspect of the game then when BYU comes out and punches us in the mouth the players won't know how to react. On top of that they will look to their leader and he will be there to give a hand clap which only enhanced the butt whipping.

this is the kind of game you need to see from texas going on the road to see how serious a contender this team is on a national landscape. They need to win a game like this against an underated BYU team. BYU has the altitude advantage.

Listened to the Matt Barrie / Phil Steele podcast the other day...Steele predicts we win by more than 7 pts.

one stat I find interesting is that Texas is 52-15 in the past decade when playing away from Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The Longhorns have won 13 straight regular-season nonconference road games. They haven’t taken an early-season loss on the road since 2000, a 27-24 loss at Stanford.

With that kind of history on his side, Mack Brown has every right to feel confident heading into Texas’ big road test Saturday night against BYU in Provo
This post was edited on 9/5 12:51 PM by moondog4

Personally, I think Texas will come out and play very well and wins by 17+. I just have a good feeling about it.

Originally posted by D.X. Bible:
I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Because most posters on this board have the attention span of a 2 year-old and roughly similar level of knowledge about football.

Hook 'em!!!

Not confident at all. If Texas wins it will be by less than 10 points IMO.

I'll be pretty stunned if it turns out to be a legit 2-3 TD win. In other words, not talking we have a 7-pt in a hard fought 58 minute game only to tack on a late TD. I don't think last game told us squat. BYU might have loss but they loss at least to a team with SOME players on it. They also had to travel cross country. They had to endure a 2 hour delay after starting. In other words, talking about how we "faced adversity" against a JV team is laughable compared to what BYU faced. Then add on it's our first road game of the season. Major's first road game as signal-caller. Our wretched recent history of facing physical teams. Our wretched recent history of trying to stop the run. If we don't jump out quick (our recent history says we don't) then folks better hang on because we'll know we are in a street fight. And that has to scare Mack to death.

Texas by 30 IMO...... But be scared if you want to.

"They lost to Virginia. Let's stop the charade"
---------

While I wouldnt put everything in that game its pretty clear matchup wise Texas clearly comes out on Top. BYU just doesnt have Texas talent and it seems they are always built up as some big game when teams play but but as someone else mentioned often get worked by good teams. I dont think Texas is going to walk in there and just destroy them, but the margin should be pretty comfortable by the 4th quarter.

You even people like Mike Finger who while covers UT has been openly critical of Mack, UT etc the past couple of seasons predicting a 3 touchdown win. BYU just isnt very good

Originally posted by CS:

Originally posted by Gaylord_Focker:
They lost to Virginia. Let's stop the charade
Kansas went 1-11 last season and nearly beat us. We have no idea what kind of team is going to take the field on Saturday, IMO. I think we win, but I don't think this is a pencil-it-in kind of game.
The fact that we are playing against men that are in their mid 20's , on the road , in high altitude, at night , coming off a loss scares Mack to death. Hope we overcome it. I expect a lot of attention will be on Daje which will open it up for Kendall Sanders and the rb's catching out of backfield. Hook Em !!!

Can we just sit back and watch the game? How many times over the 13 games in 2005 and 2009 did Texas start slow. Wait, I remember the Kansas game in 2005. What about Ok St, we always start slow.

Quit worring and watch how they win.

Here's the reason for my confidence against BYU: this team has playmakers all over the place. It put 715 yards up last week WITHOUT Kendall Sanders, with Harrison playing an extremely limited amount of snaps, with Shipley and Marcus Johnson also banged up. I'm not saying NMSU was any kind of decent team, but this was more yards than any game in Texas history, despite the fact that many games have had more first downs ---- and it left probably 75 yards on the field by shooting itself in the foot on a couple of plays. If the O-line continues to gel, I think Texas is going to be a team that other teams don't want to face by the end of the year. It depends on whether Ash can stay healthy.

Originally posted by davidkfan:

Can we just sit back and watch the game? How many times over the 13 games in 2005 and 2009 did Texas start slow. Wait, I remember the Kansas game in 2005. What about Ok St, we always start slow.

Quit worring and watch how they win.
Three that I can think of. The rest of the games we were killing teams by the second quarter.

Besides, this team isn't the 2005 or 2009 team.

ADVERTISEMENT