ADVERTISEMENT

Why the overconfidence vs BYU?

Amazing to read this thread today. Microcosm of why Mack Brown has never been held accountable. His messaging of "we are improving" and "we have a tough schedule" when neither is true for some reason really reasonates with our fan base. We hope way too much for great results without ever actually receiving them. We will not see change ag the top until a vast majority of the fan base stops falling for Mack's politics and actually demands results NOW. Not next year, not 2020, NOW!

I will gladly eat the crow. Thank God our coach is such a pu$$y that Manny will still be employed and ultimately we will have a new head coach. I was a pumper, the haters were right all along. Crow don't taste good but it's deserved.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by echeese:
Originally posted by prahz2000:

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

This post was edited on 9/5 2:14 PM by prahz2000
Careful,

Actually discussing football will get you branded a 2 year old with no attention span or understanding of the game.

Well thought out football post sure to piss off a few.
Yes. Such a beautiful and accurate preview of the game. Obviously those rare few of us who think BYU can give us a game don't know our a** from a hole in the ground.

Originally posted by RLong68:

I'll be pretty stunned if it turns out to be a legit 2-3 TD win. In other words, not talking we have a 7-pt in a hard fought 58 minute game only to tack on a late TD. I don't think last game told us squat. BYU might have loss but they loss at least to a team with SOME players on it. They also had to travel cross country. They had to endure a 2 hour delay after starting. In other words, talking about how we "faced adversity" against a JV team is laughable compared to what BYU faced. Then add on it's our first road game of the season. Major's first road game as signal-caller. Our wretched recent history of facing physical teams. Our wretched recent history of trying to stop the run. If we don't jump out quick (our recent history says we don't) then folks better hang on because we'll know we are in a street fight. And that has to scare Mack to death.
There's no way in hell I wrote that 48 hours prior to the game. Obviously I only wrote that with the benefit of hindsight.

Reactions: MikeCorleone
Originally posted by D.X. Bible:
I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Welp, looks like OP was spot on.

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

Careful,

Actually discussing football will get you branded a 2 year old with no attention span or understanding of the game.

Yes. Such a beautiful and accurate preview of the game. Obviously those rare few of us who think BYU can give us a game don't know our a** from a hole in the ground.
For over a year I have largely avoided commenting on your posts as your butt hurt has overridden any ability to think.

2000's comments were largely echoed by a member of BYU's team.

Shame on him for offering an opinion and being wrong.

If I had saved all of your inaccurate offerings the past two years, it would rival the long cat thread.

I bolded your comment, something no one said making your remark nothing more than an illogical strawman as you throw a little pity party. Grow up.

I offered all the "TEXAS is in trouble" posters 7 points, NO TAKERS. Thing I like about betting, you put money where your mouth is.

Bravo for you, you got one right. I understand why it is cause for celebration. Enjoy it, savor it.

Now I'll go back to ignoring you.

bwg71-
Re: my thoughts on Ole Miss, it's long been the case that Mack & Co find a way to do just enough to right the ship and leave everyone delusionally feeling that we are "on the right track" and simply re-shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic (i.e. firing Diaz and replacing him with Akina) is sufficient to produce meaningful change in the toughness and physicality of this program. With that in mind, I have a feeling the Horns bounce back on Saturday night and end up winning a close game against the Rebels. Leaving many on this board who are currently wringing their hands and calling for Mack's head to once again change their tune to a more optimistic outlook for the balance of 2013. That said, KSU comes in the following week and runs us out of our own stadium. Balance of the season plays out like this:

Ole Miss W (2-1)
KSU L (2-2)
at ISU W (3-2)
OU L (3-3)
at TCU L (3-4)
Kansas W (4-4)
at WVU L (4-5)
OSU W (5-5)
Tech W (6-5)
at Baylor L (6-6)

Thanks for returning this thread to the top. It shows clearly how clueless some of the board's "respected" posters are about the state of this football program. No need to call them out by name - we all know who they are at this point.

Hook 'em!!!

I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Props

Originally postedwyesOf

Thanks for returning this thread to the top. It shows clearly how clueless some of the board's "respected" posters are about the state of this football program. No need to call them out by name - we all know who they are at this point.

Hook 'em!!!
Texas should have whipped that team... way more speed and talent and all the experience in the world. That was all on bad coaching.

Terrible defensive schemes ... bad practice philosophy .. this we already knew...

The shocking part was the defense couldn't slow down a really bad offense even the slightest bit.

And the offense should haVe been better...

but the defense wasn't worthy of high school level .. coaching was absolutely terrible in the offseason and last night... I knew it was really bad, but that bad?

My reasons:

Careful,

For over a year I have largely avoided commenting on your posts as your butt hurt has overridden any ability to think.

2000's comments were largely echoed by a member of BYU's team.

Shame on him for offering an opinion and being wrong.

If I had saved all of your inaccurate offerings the past two years, it would rival the long cat thread.

I bolded your comment, something no one said making your remark nothing more than an illogical strawman as you throw a little pity party. Grow up.

I offered all the "TEXAS is in trouble" posters 7 points, NO TAKERS. Thing I like about betting, you put money where your mouth is.

Bravo for you, you got one right. I understand why it is cause for celebration. Enjoy it, savor it.

Now I'll go back to ignoring you.
Sorry pal. But like Mack, you bring on this sh*t yourself. Look at your response. Dripping with your typical condescending attitude that anyone who dared to question why BYU could offer a major challenge would be someone who doesn't know sh*t about the game.

Originally posted by MR. COSELL:

Originally postedwyesOf

Hook 'em!!!
Texas should have whipped that team... way more speed and talent and all the experience in the world. That was all on bad coaching.

Terrible defensive schemes ... bad practice philosophy .. this we already knew...

The shocking part was the defense couldn't slow down a really bad offense even the slightest bit.

but the defense wasn't worthy of high school level .. coaching was absolutely terrible in the offseason and last night... I knew it was really bad, but that bad?
And guess what? Those rare few of us who were worried about the game were worried about it precisely for your first reason.

Originally posted by MR. COSELL:

Originally postedwyesOf

Hook 'em!!!

I like you as a poster and was not referring to you at all in my reply. You are very knowledgable and just got fooled here by the hype around the kids and the coaches.

We've had a single constant in the downturn of this program since 2009,a nd that is Mack Brown. This board has had a group of cheerleaderfans who know absolutely nothing about football or the gaping huge holes in this program's talent who have relentlessly and very personally assaulted (with impunity from the board's moderators) anyone, like CS, like me, and like you last season, who dared point out reality.

Several of those folks are widely respected on this board, and several of them appear here in this thread with petty, mocking attacks on other posters. You're not one of them, but we all can clearly see who they are, thanks to this thread.

Hook 'em!!!

Originally posted by DizzG:
who the F cares about last year? or any other past year at this point?

Texas is not the same team and BYU is not anywhere close to any sort of powerhouse team.

Just on offense BYU has no business hanging with the talent Texas has right now, and most people trust Major to use those weapons
DizzG. Lol
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

COSELL-

That was the point from the very beginning...COACHING. You were just one of many who felt that Texas would step on the field and dominate based on a perceived talent and athleticism advantage. The truth is that Texas' talent advantage over most teams (outside of NMSU) is wayyyy overstated, but whatever advantage may be there is and has been for four years now more than negated by Mack & Co's soft and ineffective coaching style.

Originally posted by EyesOfTX:

Hook 'em!!!
you must be a miserable person.

what is the problem with having high expectations for this team? of course, those with high expectations were wrong (me included). why not just leave it at that? you have to result to personalized insults? come on man. we all feel like shit about this loss.

Everyone on this board dramatically overrates our talent. BYU has better players. Mike Davis, Jackson Jeffcoat and Carrington Byndum are our three 2014 NFL draft picks and none are first rounders. Kyle Van Noy would be our best player by far. Tayson Hill is better than our QB. Jamal Williams is better than running backs, Cody Hoffman is an NFL player, Eathyn Manumaleuna is better than our defensive tackles, so on and so forth.

We're hung up on recruiting rankings, whihc is something NFL scouts could care less about.

jspiro-
Could not agree more. It is precisely this delusional, entitled arrogance that our coaching staff, team and fanbase carries that needs to change if we are ever going to be legitimate again. Our talent is on par with about 20-30 other programs in this country. This is not 1975 anymore when teams can stockpile 3 deep of talent superior to 90% of the teams on the schedule. Coaching and player development matter, and this is precisely why I and a handful of others (not including COSELL) had legitimate concerns about this game.

jspiro-
Could not agree more. It is precisely this delusional, entitled arrogance that our coaching staff, team and fanbase carries that needs to change if we are ever going to be legitimate again. Our talent is on par with about 20-30 other programs in this country. This is not 1975 anymore when teams can stockpile 3 deep of talent superior to 90% of the teams on the schedule. Coaching and player development matter, and this is precisely why I and a handful of others (not including COSELL) had legitimate concerns about this game.
Oh for godsake. Stop trotting out the pre-scholarship limits nonsense on us. It was not like Texas did not go 1-9 and fall on its face back in those days to. I guess according to you Darrell Royal was a terrible coach and only won because of unfair advantages because it seems it was easy to win back then?

And it seems if do not demand excellence from our team we are complacent and responsible for their failure...but if we do we are delusional, entitled, arrogant and responsible for their failure. What are we supposed to do? Demand...um...what?

Fairly new to the board and man did this thread teach me a lot about the posters here. I went back and looked and about a dozen posters agreed with Dana that there was cause for concern...
Copperhead road

CS

EyesofTex

UT The University

Rlong68

Platshaw

Bumblebee tuna

Horn4life

Longhorns2010

Longhorns8484

Utfan101

RoughOrangie

That's a good list of some of the more sophisticated football thinkers on the board, thanks! There were several very condescending pumpers who I won't list. I was interested to see who had to accompany their objection to Dana and his supporters with a resounding putdown of their powers of observation. A couple have come back and still tried to defend themselves which is hilarious given the pounding we took on both sides of the ball.

I have to disagree with Dana's take on the Ole Miss game though. BYU made me a believer in BYU no question. But the helplessness of our offensive and defensive lines seems too much to overcome. Run up the middle or run outside against us, both are good choices. Ole Miss is going to be able to pass better too. And I think there's a good chance Ash won't play. Which I'm not sure it that's a plus or minus at this stage.

Originally posted by Valmy77:

jspiro-
Oh for godsake. Stop trotting out the pre-scholarship limits nonsense on us. It was not like Texas did not go 1-9 and fall on its face back in those days to. I guess according to you Darrell Royal was a terrible coach and only won because of unfair advantages because it seems it was easy to win back then?

And it seems if do not demand excellence from our team we are complacent and responsible for their failure...but if we do we are delusional, entitled, arrogant and responsible for their failure. What are we supposed to do? Demand...um...what?
I think you missed his point. We need a head coach that coaches as well as he sells. On field coaching and player development matter. So does talent evaluation. Obviously, we fans cannot do more than cheer, boo or criticize. I think DX Bible knows that.

Originally posted by masterduff:
Fairly new to the board and man did this thread teach me a lot about the posters here. I went back and looked and about a dozen posters agreed with Dana that there was cause for concern...

EyesofTex

That's a good list of some of the more sophisticated football thinkers on the board, thanks! There were several very condescending pumpers who I won't list.

I found the bolded comments interesting.

Originally posted by EyesOfTX:

Because most posters on this board have the attention span of a 2 year-old and roughly similar level of knowledge about football.

Hook 'em!!!
Yep,

That is some sophiticated uptown football commentary.

laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 9/9 12:24 PM by echeese

This is really funny to read now. All those weeks of condesension and scorn for anyone that questioned the clownshow that is UT football from echeese and his merry band when the problems have been obvious to any thinking person. Guess what, you were wrong, and you've always been wrong. You ought just man up and admit it.

Copperhead road

CS

EyesofTex

UT The University

Rlong68

Platshaw

Bumblebee tuna

Horn4life

Longhorns2010

Longhorns8484

Utfan101

RoughOrangie

That's a good list of some of the more sophisticated football thinkers on the board, thanks! There were several very condescending pumpers who I won't list. I was interested to see who had to accompany their objection to Dana and his supporters with a resounding putdown of their powers of observation. A couple have come back and still tried to defend themselves which is hilarious given the pounding we took on both sides of the ball.

I have to disagree with Dana's take on the Ole Miss game though. BYU made me a believer in BYU no question. But the helplessness of our offensive and defensive lines seems too much to overcome. Run up the middle or run outside against us, both are good choices. Ole Miss is going to be able to pass better too. And I think there's a good chance Ash won't play. Which I'm not sure it that's a plus or minus at this stage.
they should quit their day jobs and become football coaches.

Copperhead road

CS

EyesofTex

UT The University

Rlong68

Platshaw

Bumblebee tuna

Horn4life

Longhorns2010

Longhorns8484[/B]

Utfan101

RoughOrangie

I agree with the majority of your list.

ADVERTISEMENT