ADVERTISEMENT

Why the overconfidence vs BYU?

Originally posted by echeese:

Originally posted by Casis:
Echeese, if you don't think TOs are struggling, I don't know what to tell you.
Your own subjectivity is showing.
Turnovers are one play mistakes, usually as a result of one player breaking fundamentals.

Had you actually watched the game, you would have seen on the 1st 5 drives where we were supposedly struggling, we were averaging 5.5 yards per play (guess you didn't know what ypp meant, sorry forget my audience sometimes).

This over the course of 26 plays.

Your comment about "struggling" was in reference to the entire team not Davis failing to tuck the football or Ash making a bad read.

I "objectively" watched the game and realized the "mistakes" you claim were "struggles" were actually outliers.

Painting the entire team and our offensive efforts as "struggling" is clear subjective bias or you didn't watch the game or you don't really get the game.

Take your pick.
You really are our Branding Iron 13.

Valmy-
Ease up there bud. I know it's been a rough 48 hours for you and the laundry list of other posters who had started booking their Pasadena National Championship tickets prior to the debacle in Provo, but there's no need to get so worked up about it. My only point is to say that coaching matters....alot....and the fact that we returned 19 starters from a mediocre football team (with the same inept coaching staff) should never have been cause for such optimism. I'm all for being positive and optimistic in life....but at some point reality has to step in and temper things a bit. Or you end up feeling exactly the way you and the rest of the blind optimists have felt for the past two days.

I love it when echeese moans because of personal attacks. He is the master of the ad hominem attack on anyone who doesn't agree with his "take."
The other party is too dim witted , too stupid or didn't actually watch the game.
Coming from his lips.....Richness.
Says more about echeese and his own insecurities than anything else.

This post was edited on 9/9 1:10 PM by Casis

Originally posted by skylakehorn:

This is really funny to read now. All those weeks of condesension and scorn for anyone that questioned the clownshow that is UT football from echeese and his merry band when the problems have been obvious to any thinking person. Guess what, you were wrong, and you've always been wrong. You ought just man up and admit it.

I actually posted about the BYU game in it's own thread. I do appreciate the fact most of the board douche bags failed to show up. I find it funny watching you prance around as if you had offered some "insights"

The irony is that in your blind rage, you failed to read the comments I actually made which had nothing to do with the BYU game or DX's comment but rather at the jackassery offered by you and your ilk.

Was I wrong about BYU? You bet, so what? Already been discussed at levels you cannot grasp

Here's a news flash, no one is right 100% of the time. Your favorite tool is a hammer thus you see every problem as a nail.

When it's pointed out you are wrong, you make personal attacks, when like the blind squirrel you find a nut and get one right, you make personal attacks.

The importance is understand WHY we had problems and that takes a bit more of an understanding of the game than you can offer. but good news, I hear there is a new nintendo league starting, maybe they'll let you in.

sign0098.r191677.gif

Thanks again to all who are keeping this thread alive. So many of the usual suspects continue to prove my case. It's truly greatness.

Hook 'em!!!

I'm a hater, but I'm stunned still. I thought we would pound them. I think we'll beat ole miss though. Not as physical.

Gaylord, on what basis do you see us winning ?. Ole Miss is every bit as physical as BYU and is faster in getting there to be physical.

Originally posted by D.X. Bible:
Changing my Ole Miss pick, for what it's worth. Case may not make it through this one.
For me, the ultimate "rabbit out of the hat" rebound game was Nebraska 2010. Yet Muschamp dialed up a scheme and caught Nebraska flatfooted. I still do not know how we stole that.

However, beating Ole Miss, especially with McCoy at the helm, would top that Nebraska game.

I still cannot get over the fragility of this team's psyche. Past teams had players who would make plays to turn the tide. These guys just shrug their shoulders while they receive coaching that cannot adjust on the fly.

Originally posted by Bay Horn:

Changing my Ole Miss pick, for what it's worth. Case may not make it through this one.
For me, the ultimate "rabbit out of the hat" rebound game was Nebraska 2010. Yet Muschamp dialed up a scheme and caught Nebraska flatfooted. I still do not know how we stole that.

However, beating Ole Miss, especially with McCoy at the helm, would top that Nebraska game.

I still cannot get over the fragility of this team's psyche. Past teams had players who would make plays to turn the tide. These guys just shrug their shoulders while they receive coaching that cannot adjust on the fly.
Honestly, it was very easy. Nebraska was completely one-dimensional. We had the athletes to execute.

Originally posted by hamsterdam:

Originally posted by Bay Horn:

Honestly, it was very easy. Nebraska was completely one-dimensional. We had the athletes to execute.
Let's also not forget that we were GREATLY aided by 3 huge dropped passes by NU. And we're not talking difficult catches.

If Ash starts, I could see us sneaking out one of Mack's trademark "dead cat bounce" comeback wins. With Case, there is no hope. This will be Mack's coup de gras.

Originally posted by RLong68:

Originally posted by RLong68:

Originally posted by prahz2000:

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

This post was edited on 9/5 2:14 PM by prahz2000
Careful,

Actually discussing football will get you branded a 2 year old with no attention span or understanding of the game.

Well thought out football post sure to piss off a few.
Yes. Such a beautiful and accurate preview of the game. Obviously those rare few of us who think BYU can give us a game don't know our a** from a hole in the ground.
For over a year I have largely avoided commenting on your posts as your butt hurt has overridden any ability to think.

2000's comments were largely echoed by a member of BYU's team.

Shame on him for offering an opinion and being wrong.

If I had saved all of your inaccurate offerings the past two years, it would rival the long cat thread.

I bolded your comment, something no one said making your remark nothing more than an illogical strawman as you throw a little pity party. Grow up.

I offered all the "TEXAS is in trouble" posters 7 points, NO TAKERS. Thing I like about betting, you put money where your mouth is.

Bravo for you, you got one right. I understand why it is cause for celebration. Enjoy it, savor it.

Now I'll go back to ignoring you.
Sorry pal. But like Mack, you bring on this sh*t yourself. Look at your response. Dripping with your typical condescending attitude that anyone who dared to question why BYU could offer a major challenge would be someone who doesn't know sh*t about the game.
But... but... since he offered the bet and not only you but no one else emailed him to take him up on it somehow in his little world justifies his stance.

roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by c'est la vie:

I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Good point. I'm never going to be confident with a Mack Brown coached team again without a VY on it. However, if we stay away from the great equalizer...turnovers...we have a great chance to cover. BYU will be tough on "D", but if Major has a good game plan to spread them out and exploit their zone, I think we will have successful. If we go in trying to be cute and run reverses while they are staying home in their zone or running into the teeth of a gritty front 6 or 7 front with our shaky OL, then it could be a long night. On the other side of the ball I think Manny's D more than holds it's own. I think this will be a fairly low scoring affair compared to last week, but I do think we easily get the win if we remain mistake free and healthy.

Hook'em
"I think Manny's D more than holds it's own."

Crap, I'm not going to be a psychic or a TV Football Analyst anytime soon. Did I ever get that wrong. Not only did Manny's D blow, he's now blown away as well. Frankly, I didn't see that coming at all. I suppose the 2nd half of NMSU gave me a false sense of where the D actually was as well.

Hook'em

I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Good point. I'm never going to be confident with a Mack Brown coached team again without a VY on it. However, if we stay away from the great equalizer...turnovers...we have a great chance to cover. BYU will be tough on "D", but if Major has a good game plan to spread them out and exploit their zone, I think we will have successful. If we go in trying to be cute and run reverses while they are staying home in their zone or running into the teeth of a gritty front 6 or 7 front with our shaky OL, then it could be a long night. On the other side of the ball I think Manny's D more than holds it's own. I think this will be a fairly low scoring affair compared to last week, but I do think we easily get the win if we remain mistake free and healthy.

Hook'em
"I think Manny's D more than holds it's own."

Crap, I'm not going to be a psychic or a TV Football Analyst anytime soon. Did I ever get that wrong. Not only did Manny's D blow, he's now blown away as well. Frankly, I didn't see that coming at all. I suppose the 2nd half of NMSU gave me a false sense of where the D actually was as well.

Hook'em
Yeah, but you weren't haughty and condescending about it, as so many of our "respected" posters were. Big difference.

Hook 'em!!!

DX, I stand corrected. I was optimistic heading into Saturday, and said as much in this thread. I didn't flame, but stated that it's more fun to have optimism rather than predict defeat.

Unfortunately, Saturday night drained the remaining optimism I had regarding this program. Mack needs to go. He reminds me of Bowden in the waning days of his dynasty at FSU. Just a confused, bewildered, shell of a man.

That's where we are with Mack.

I will root for a win against Ole Miss, but I never again will buy into the rebirth under his watch. He has done less with more than any other coach in the country over the last 15 years.

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

This post was edited on 9/5 2:14 PM by prahz2000
Careful,

Actually discussing football will get you branded a 2 year old with no attention span or understanding of the game.

Well thought out football post sure to piss off a few.
translation: echeese wrong again. insert his icons below.

Let me tell you the only two things I didn't take into account in my analysis:

I completely understimated the stupidity of both our offensive and defensive coaches. I had no idea they would lay such a humongous egg in formulating the gameplan and making adjustments during the game. I also thought that a trip to Provo, Utah would be enough for the boys in burnt orange to actually come out and try. Boy was I mistaken again.

We lost that game because our coaches and players are complete pu$$ies. My analysis was otherwise right on, and hence why everyone is so pissed off - we should have won that game.

I'm still in complete shock.

DX Bible called it for the most part - I will listen to you more. Nobody called that our coaches would have such an epic fail of a gameplan.
This post was edited on 9/9 4:55 PM by prahz2000

Let me tell you the only two things I didn't take into account in my analysis:

I completely understimated the stupidity of both our offensive and defensive coaches. I had no idea they would lay such a humongous egg in formulating the gameplan and making adjustments during the game. I also thought that a trip to Provo, Utah would be enough for the boys in burnt orange to actually come out and try. Boy was I mistaken again.

We lost that game because our coaches and players are complete pu$$ies. My analysis was otherwise right on, and hence why everyone is so pissed off - we should have won that game.

I'm still in complete shock.

DX Bible called it for the most part - I will listen to you more. Nobody called that our coaches would have such an epic fail of a gameplan.
This post was edited on 9/9 4:55 PM by prahz2000
Actually your analysis was pretty wrong. You sorta sound like Matt Leinart right after we beat USC.
You put waaaay too much emphasis on their game with Virginia that had a bizarre set of circumstances. I said as much. Even before you said that.
You said the QB was not very fast. I think we know that was wrong. He may not be RG III but considering he had no trouble outrunning our defense I'd say he's pretty dang fast.

Your analysis was pretty wrong and based on flimsy evidence. The fact your analysis did not even factor in the coaching particularly of Mack and Manny makes it even worse. I brought up the fact it was our first road. Brought up that we haven't faced adversity. Brought up our inability to stop the run. Brought up our trend of slow starts. Brought up our cratering against physical teams. Brought up the fact it was Major's first game as signal-caller on the road.
A rare few of us had that game pegged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT