ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Texas Longhorns have to give up playing on Thanksgiving

californiahorn 4

Jan 4, 2013
It's just not the same as it was when they played the aggies on Thanksgiving. This alternating between TCU/TT isn't going to cut it. TCU had their best team in 60 years last year and it was obvious the game was not a sellout. TT used to be a good draw but that drew a lot less than TCU.

Mostly though it's the NFL. The NFL and college fb always had a gentleman's agreement not to go head to head on tv. The NFL basically stomped on that agreement and three years ago NBC started scheduling games on Turkey night. And here is the dagger. Last year's NFL game outdrew a&m and UT's games combined and by more than a million viewers at that. And the NFL didn't have one of their marquiee teams playing. Imagine how bad it would have been if they did have one.

Folks, UT actually all of college fb has to face the facts. College fb is going to have to end it. I'm bitter and angry at the NFL but the fact is the NFL has broken the gentleman's agreement not just with college fb but the World Series as well. Christmas Day has primarily been the NBA's big day when it comes to tv, but next year the NFL will schedule a game on that day count on it.

I hate the NFL and don't really pay attention till the SB. But most of the country loves it. The tv ad executives rake in the dough having NFL games on those days.

I hate the NFL.

When you're a blue blood god of college football, little things like dates are trivial.

I go because it's part of my season package. Not really excited about the games and its obvious how small the attendance is.

These things are scheduled with the idea that Texas will be good again. Think about how important that game would have been if Texas was a top ten game. Attendance would not have been an issue. As far as TV, the networks have been spreading games over more and more days for the last decade. They want live product to put out there even if it's pitted against NFL.u

Originally posted by 12thmanposter:
Is the TCU/Tech alternating schedule actually actually scheduled for a few more years?
Have you seen this cool new thing called GOOGLE? You may check it out....

Originally posted by LonghornSoldier:

Is the TCU/Tech alternating schedule actually actually scheduled for a few more years?

Google might be new to you, but it's actually been around since the late nineties.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by CenTex Horn:
Originally posted by LonghornSoldier:

Google might be new to you, but it's actually been around since the late nineties.

I am assuming you are playing off my sarcasm and didn't think i was being serious about Google being new...... at least i hope so lol ;)

you young fools!....back in the day...before the Snuffy Smith cartoon that strip was called Barney Google I think Fred Lasswell was the guy that wrote it.

That WAS what yall were talking about werent you?

Originally posted by oldhorn2:
you young fools!....back in the day...before the Snuffy Smith cartoon that strip was called Barney Google I think Fred Lasswell was the guy that wrote it.

That WAS what yall were talking about werent you?
Google.....yeah... Barney.....GOOGLE....that's the TICKET...

This post was edited on 3/17 3:14 PM by TXSFRED

Tommy Flanagan

No way Texas should give up playing on Turkey day. What Texas needs is to bring back a Marquee opponent such as Notre Dame or Oklahoma. And yes, I'd rather give up the State fair than give up Turkey Day.

ADVERTISEMENT