ADVERTISEMENT

Will Dykes be Coach Gumbo 2.0

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Did he catch lightning in a bottle? In light of this epic beatdown, what do you think TCU's record will be next season? I predict they will be 50:50 and I don't even know their schedule

Reactions: Belldozer1
He's bringing in a top 20 class.

And on paper at least it looks good on the transfer portal for the frogs.

Yes and no. Won't get back to NC game but will be towards top of big 12. O had same situation but he was in the SEC.

I don't know what their record will be but after last night's game I'm glad we didn't play GA.

I worry about not only the Big XII but the Pac XII's future as well.

I think they win 7 games next season. They have 13 seniors that are all probably gone unless they use the covid year for eligibility. They have a ton to replace and I see them having a similar year to what Baylor had this year.

Well TCU just lost their offensive coordinator. Garrett Riley is headed to Clemson to be their OC. Big shoes to fill for Dykes. Yet another reason it will hard to have sustained success there. It’s just a stepping stone school.

Well TCU just lost their offensive coordinator. Garrett Riley is headed to Clemson to be their OC. Big shoes to fill for Dykes. Yet another reason it will hard to have sustained success there. It’s just a stepping stone school.
It's kinda sad but unfortunately so true.

I was pretty impressed all year with there defense. However, another thing to think about is that the defensive players were developed under Patterson. Will they sustain?. I am not saying they won’t, but it is something in the back of my mind.

Reactions: Hoookem722
I was pretty impressed all year with there defense. However, another thing to think about is that the defensive players were developed under Patterson. Will they sustain?. I am not saying they won’t, but it is something in the back of my mind.
Well all but 2 of their 4* recruits are on defense. Maybe Joe Gillespie is a star in the making.

JoJo Earle is a 4* safety from AL who's coming in from the xfr portal. Be interesting to see how he pans out.

And maybe TCU will be the dominant team in the Big XII after TX and OK leave.

4 of their 5 defensive backs are NFL guys. Most of those guys were brought up with Patterson. I believe all 5 of them are gone this year as well. TCU had a lot of holes to fill. Going to be similar to this years Baylor team is my guess.

Kinda funny how this board thinks.You are ready to give Dykes a sort of a pass because he will have such a bare cubbard next year and think maybe Aranda actually didn't forget how to coach at Baylor.....but nobody gives Venables any excuse at all. Seems strange to me.

Kinda funny how this board thinks.You are ready to give Dykes a sort of a pass because he will have such a bare cubbard next year and think maybe Aranda actually didn't forget how to coach at Baylor.....but nobody gives Venables any excuse at all. Seems strange to me.
Venables took over a program that had won 10+ games in 18 of the 22 seasons before he got there. Also had won 14 conference championships since 2000. Nowhere near the same situation as taking over a Baylor team that was 2-10 the year before or a TCU team that was 5-7 the year before.

And why would Dykes need a pass? He just won 13 games and went to the national championship in his first year lol.

Yeah....OU won 10 games.....but the coach up and left, taking the starting QB and other top guys. All I am saying is the team Venables coached and the one the year before were very different.

Venables went out and brought in a QB who had 2 and a half years of starting experience. They also brought back their leading WR. I sure remember all the chest thumping going on from OU fans when they started 3-0. Funny how the excuses only started to flow after they started losing games. He under performed. There's no excuses to be made for him. Sark got all kinds of heat after that first season of 5-7 from the national media. He's still getting heat after winning 8 games this year.

Look from one old longhorn to another.

A sooner never gets any consideration on this board.

A sooner only gets ridicule and abuse on this board.

That's ok Cali we expect it. Just joshing. Get the intense rivalry now over a hundred years old. Venables did not do well this year. But is recruiting well which Sark has also done. Will be interesting to see what TCU does next year. Anyone know when we will see the schedules for next year? Assume both OU and Texas will play two of the newbies and drop two other current members. Hope OU plays at BYU. Might manage to make that game.

That's ok Cali we expect it. Just joshing. Get the intense rivalry now over a hundred years old. Venables did not do well this year. But is recruiting well which Sark has also done. Will be interesting to see what TCU does next year. Anyone know when we will see the schedules for next year? Assume both OU and Texas will play two of the newbies and drop two other current members. Hope OU plays at BYU. Might manage to make that game.
I'm glad you got the joke. A few things about OK now that the seasons over.

5 of their 7 losses were by 3 points each. In every game the defense did not get it done in the end.

OK's defense was like our ol last year. They desperately need some defensive kids that are ready to start on day 1. Maybe Peyton Bowen is their Kelvin Banks.

I'll give em this they played with a lot of pride in the Orlando Bowl.

I came across a link that had an interview Marvin Mims. He said the way Venables does things is a complete 180 from Riley. Now it depends on the players buying in.

But I gotta say I'm not going to be sad if Ted Roof is still the DC.

I'm glad you got the joke. A few things about OK now that the seasons over.

5 of their 7 losses were by 3 points each. In every game the defense did not get it done in the end.

OK's defense was like our ol last year. They desperately need some defensive kids that are ready to start on day 1. Maybe Peyton Bowen is their Kelvin Banks.

I'll give em this they played with a lot of pride in the Orlando Bowl.

I came across a link that had an interview Marvin Mims. He said the way Venables does things is a complete 180 from Riley. Now it depends on the players buying in.

But I gotta say I'm not going to be sad if Ted Roof is still the DC.
The biggest question mark of the D coaches. Will see how it goes next fall.

Another thought about Sonny Dykes.

Why do I always think of female homosexuals every time I hear his name?

Now that I've had some time to look back no Sonny Dykes probably won't be 13/2 this year.

But he does have a chance to get back in the playoffs when TX and OK leave for the SEC

In fact I think TCU can be the dominant team in the Big XII when that happens.

Look TCU was stuck in neutral the last 3 years Gary Patterson had burned out. A change had to be made.

So in comes Sonny and Garrett Riley and TCU's offense started showing what they could do.

And TCU cracked the top 20 in recruiting the first Big XII team other than TX and OK to do so. He also played the transfer portal well.

So let's wait and see.

Well I would have sworn that Briles was at OK.

It was the Briles son in law Jeff Lebby that's at OK

Last edited:
Venables went out and brought in a QB who had 2 and a half years of starting experience. They also brought back their leading WR. I sure remember all the chest thumping going on from OU fans when they started 3-0. Funny how the excuses only started to flow after they started losing games. He under performed. There's no excuses to be made for him. Sark got all kinds of heat after that first season of 5-7 from the national media. He's still getting heat after winning 8 games this year.
They lost their QB for a few games and that kid was a heck of a lot better than the kid that replaced him.

ADVERTISEMENT