ADVERTISEMENT

Woodard picks Horns!!

4* picks Horns today.

BOOM!!

Big time field stretching deep threat. A bit of a one trick pony in HS but lots of people have been saying he could run more than just the go route during camps over the summer. Hoping to add Eagles to the WR group soon and then we pluck one more WR and call it a day.

What I read about him is that he seems to play much faster than he is...thus the deep threat.Just because he has only run three route in HS doesnt mean he cant do more. The big thing about him is that supposedly he has "insanely" good hands. He never doesnt catch the ball. When he goes up in traffic he comes down with the ball.Every.Single.Time.

4.6 40 can take the top off a defense?

Am I missing something?

Have you watched his film?
No.......... does his 40 time get faster in pads and on grass?

I say that only because there are a rare "few" athletes, very very rare, that are actually faster during a game than they are on a time track. I think it's a mental block for them.

Is he one of them dudes?

I say that only because there are a rare "few" athletes, very very rare, that are actually faster during a game than they are on a time track. I think it's a mental block for them.

Is he one of them dudes?

Well, you can watch and decide for yourself. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alvonte+woodard+hudl

I see a lot of people get caught up in numbers and don't give any credence to on field performance (so many people concerned about Gary Johnson, the juco LB, and his low weight).

A few analyst have actually made the statement that he seems faster with pads on. I doubt he actually runs any faster but his highlight film shows him getting behind all defenders pretty frequently. One other thing I notice, he is good at using his body/hands to get just enough separation to make the catch on deep routes even when he doesn't have his man beat or the QB under throws the ball. He isn't a burner who will run past everyone but he is a legit deep ball threat.

4.6 40 can take the top off a defense?

Am I missing something?

VY was 4.5 but no one could catch him after the first 10-15 yards.

As for the one trick comment someone made, watch his film and see how many times he had to wait for the ball and won it.

VY was 4.5 but no one could catch him after the first 10-15 yards.

As for the one trick comment someone made, watch his film and see how many times he had to wait for the ball and won it.

That was me. Basically just saying that the majority of his 35 catches were deep balls. I think he is an impressive deep threat, he has an uncanny ability to go up and win the ball in the air.

I think he can be much more than that and he showed as much on the camp circuit this summer. With some continued coaching I think he will be a gamer, in the Roy Williams mold.

He has a verified 4.52 time, that's not too shabby. It's not just game speed, but maintaining or pulling away that makes him worthy with good hands.

The laser 4.61... more WR ran over 4.6 than under 4.4 at the NFL combine.

4.52 - 4.6 is not elite speed but it's plenty fast for a high school kid. I mean we can't only reserve the fast moniker for the handful of kids that can post a legit 4.3 - 4.4 in high school.

Is he one of them dudes?

What are you talking about? Do you mean actually running a faster 40 time in pads and on grass vs in underwear and on a track? Or are you referring to the pretty common occurrence of guys playing faster than their 40 times because on a football field you don't get to run 40 uninterrupted yards very often, so their acceleration and fluidity in change of direction make them faster on the field than other who run faster 40 times.

Reactions: HornDrummer
He has a verified 4.52 time, that's not too shabby. It's not just game speed, but maintaining or pulling away that makes him worthy with good hands.

The laser 4.61... more WR ran over 4.6 than under 4.4 at the NFL combine.

I think it's easy to lose context with all the testing and recruiting information that's available now that wasn't even really there 10 years ago. That's evidenced by anyone thinking 4.5 to 4.6 in a high school player can't stretch a D. Dez Bryant's pre NFL draft 40 was 4.52, but I am guessing his reported 40 time on a recruiting website was 4.4 or something.

I know they laser time these recruiting events, but the #s put up there don't translate to what gets put up at the NFL combine. If you were to believe the #s you would come to the conclusion that NFL players are slower than high school players.

These guys that you talk about in pads....dont forget they are going against other guys that are also in pads. The top receivers in NFL record books are not the burners anyway.....slower guys like Irving,Rice, Belitnikoff,,,,none were the fastest, or even close to the fastest.

I think it's easy to lose context with all the testing and recruiting information that's available now that wasn't even really there 10 years ago. That's evidenced by anyone thinking 4.5 to 4.6 in a high school player can't stretch a D. Dez Bryant's pre NFL draft 40 was 4.52, but I am guessing his reported 40 time on a recruiting website was 4.4 or something.

I know they laser time these recruiting events, but the #s put up there don't translate to what gets put up at the NFL combine. If you were to believe the #s you would come to the conclusion that NFL players are slower than high school players.

Some of the best info we have available is game tape. I see a lot of people worry about numbers, 40 times, height, weight and don't put any credence in the tape. Watch the highlights at least before jumping to a conclusion.

What are you talking about? Do you mean actually running a faster 40 time in pads and on grass vs in underwear and on a track? Or are you referring to the pretty common occurrence of guys playing faster than their 40 times because on a football field you don't get to run 40 uninterrupted yards very often, so their acceleration and fluidity in change of direction make them faster on the field than other who run faster 40 times.
Sort of......

There are some guys that tighten up when they know they are being timed. But during a game, their brain isn't thinking about a clock, they are running on pure instinct. They relax and just "run" instead of forcing it.

I was asking if he was one of those guys....

Sort of......

There are some guys that tighten up when they know they are being timed. But during a game, their brain isn't thinking about a clock, they are running on pure instinct. They relax and just "run" instead of forcing it.

I was asking if he was one of those guys....

I can see that especially in a situation like at the NFL combine were a poor time can cost you some money, but his 40 time isn't slow it's just not super elite. He is still in the acceptable range of being considered fast.

Some of the best info we have available is game tape. I see a lot of people worry about numbers, 40 times, height, weight and don't put any credence in the tape. Watch the highlights at least before jumping to a conclusion.

Agree. Especially in the recruiting world. Not necessarily the coaches but with the showcases like the opening the sites rely heavily on the numbers and participation at these camps. Don't do the camp circuit and you basically are never evaluated again by the service. Not to slam the services as it's impossible to evaluate so many players without either spending a lot of money and time, or taking a lot of shortcuts. As consumers of their recruiting info we just naturally get caught up in the numbers as well.

In the Red Zone your 40 time mean shit. If he can go and get the ball over defenders then he will succeed.

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT