ADVERTISEMENT

Words can't do justice to how much I despise.....

swVAHorn

Jun 20, 2014
the offense we are trying to run. It looked a lot different even from the spring game. there was no rhyme or reason for some of the calls and the plays take TOO much time to develop. Can Texas run slants? I don't think I have seen a slant at Texas for 5 years......but what really gets me is if something is not working doing the same things.....try something else! Is the middle of the field not allowed for Texas' offense?? If our oline is a strength then line up with a fb in the I formation...anything is better than this.

on defense it boils down to a few things......MISSING tackles.....busted assignments and No pressure on the QB.......Great coaches change an offense or defense to the players they have.....I have not seen a good job of that at all. Our defense got manhandled by players that have no business doing it...that vanilla maryland offense shredded Texas. What will the Big 12 do to it? or usc?

Terrible penalties at the worst possible times.
NOT kicking an easy FG when we should have pissed me off.....after being mad that we didn't run the ball right down their undersized lines throat instead of going empty!!

Very disappointed and I won't lie. If this team shows up the rest of the year, Texas will have it's fourth losing season in a row.

I won't give up on them...but I was expecting 9 wins at least. A LOT has to change for that to happen.

So @swVAHorn you have to understand why we saw what we saw offensively.

Herman's offense is designed to dink you and dunk you to the outside. If we keep throwing the sudekine route, eventually the safeties will start cheat out toward the sidelines and open up the middle of the field.
However-- the only real way to threaten the safety is to throw the deep out route. That really makes safeties nervous. The threat of out and up route is there. But you gotta be able to complete that pass. Boo threw one for a pick, and another that was tipped. Once the DC realizes Boo can't make that throw, the safeties, instead of spreading out to help, starr cheating up to strangle the middle of the field. No crossing routes work at that point, lest your wr get his teeth knocked out.

So because we can't spread the D out, we won't be able to attack the middle.

Make sense?

I'm visiting family this weekend haven't seen the game. I personally was never a big fan of Herman bringing Orlando with him. Just wasn't all that impressed with some of the houston's defensive preformences. Looks like a lot of the same issues especially prior to Strong taking over the D have cropped up in week 1.

I agree and I will add that Texas is still "soft." They were constantly beaten by smaller opponents who have more desire than they do. My wife even commented on that. Someone who barely understands the game saw little difference from last year's team to this mess.

Maybe we need to think about the pampering, the fancy facilities, locker rooms and such. Find guys that have heart and want it badly.

So @swVAHorn you have to understand why we saw what we saw offensively.

Herman's offense is designed to dink you and dunk you to the outside. If we keep throwing the sudekine route, eventually the safeties will start cheat out toward the sidelines and open up the middle of the field.
However-- the only real way to threaten the safety is to throw the deep out route. That really makes safeties nervous. The threat of out and up route is there. But you gotta be able to complete that pass. Boo threw one for a pick, and another that was tipped. Once the DC realizes Boo can't make that throw, the safeties, instead of spreading out to help, starr cheating up to strangle the middle of the field. No crossing routes work at that point, lest your wr get his teeth knocked out.

So because we can't spread the D out, we won't be able to attack the middle.

Make sense?
Oh yeah I see what you are saying...my point is coaching needs to address these issues. The Maryland QB is not a better passer than Buechele but they made their offense effective. See what I mean? Put a running QB in and do what Maryland did.

I'm visiting family this weekend haven't seen the game. I personally was never a big fan of Herman bringing Orlando with him. Just wasn't all that impressed with some of the houston's defensive preformences. Looks like a lot of the same issues especially prior to Strong taking over the D have cropped up in week 1.
Hindsight is 20/20. Actually orlandos defenses ranked among the top in run defense and total defense for the two years at Houston. Today, they did look terrible as did the majority of the team.

No way I am giving up on Herman, but I didn't like the two point attempt, the 4th down attempt by the goal line and at the 50.

We're going to be bad until we get a players that can play defense and coaches that can coach it.
Players have to be good tacklers long before they show up at the collegiate level. There is not enough practice time for this to occur now. Ours still can't wrap and tackle consistently and probably never will be able to do so.

I don't remember the exact circumstances but I believe we were down by 3 and had them in 3rd &19 and they converted. The coaches left Boyd in single coverage and rushed the freshman qb. Why not keep the receivers in front of you with a zone and confuse the freshman with coverage. That conversion should have never happened.

I have talked to a lot of football coaches that tell me if they are facing an inexperienced QB it is better to show him multiple coverages and confuse him rather than rush him. Especially in 3rd & 19 when we weren't getting to the QB no matter what we did.

Horrible coaching.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Well we sucked. I still think we have no reason to panic. Its an adjustment for everybody. Herman has to learn the job as much as the players have to learn the offense. The expectations were too high. I think we're gonna be like Michigan. We're gonna have an OK season, and next year will be better. Give them a year

There was a slight breath when we ran the wildcat
The slightest... the problem is it got us with in 3.

We got the ball back and tried to run Shane for 2 yds... Twice!

Why not run the Cat! ???

Worse .... Why did I feel relieved when we ran Heard?

Uggghhj!!!

What I saw today was very concerning from top to bottom. If I'm Tom Herman, no starter is safe minus the receivers. Defense was downright shitty. Line play was soft as hell.

Reactions: swVAHorn
No way I am giving up on Herman, but I didn't like the two point attempt, the 4th down attempt by the goal line and at the 50.
I feel the exact same way. We will see if he adjusts his coaching as he goes. After all he is a young head coach. I think he will get it going but he has to get the most out of these players. Somehow!

The slightest... the problem is it got us with in 3.

We got the ball back and tried to run Shane for 2 yds... Twice!

Why not run the Cat! ???

Worse .... Why did I feel relieved when we ran Heard?

Uggghhj!!!

Yep.... if Heard had been on Maryland's side, he'd have had a career day against the putrid defensive effort Texas D put forth today.

Well we sucked. I still think we have no reason to panic. Its an adjustment for everybody. Herman has to learn the job as much as the players have to learn the offense. The expectations were too high. I think we're gonna be like Michigan. We're gonna have an OK season, and next year will be better. Give them a year
If we are going to have a practice year then cut ticket prices in half and call it the NFL preseason

Hindsight is 20/20. Actually orlandos defenses ranked among the top in run defense and total defense for the two years at Houston. Today, they did look terrible as did the majority of the team.
not really hind sight I questioned the hire at the time. The numbers look good overall there were some struggles though

And one of the knocks you could make on Herrman on Houston if there were any was playing up and down based on competition. Think we seen a bit of thst today.

Reactions: pampers
not really hind sight I questioned the hire at the time. The numbers look good overall there were some struggles though

And one of the knocks you could make on Herrman on Houston if there were any was playing up and down based on competition. Think we seen a bit of thst today.
Go away. You are a Strong fan NOT a Texas fan. Go. Away.

Go away. You are a Strong fan NOT a Texas fan. Go. Away.
That's not true at all. Been a Texas fan since 10 years old and born Texan raised partially in Texas. Just not a kool aid drinker. We have some issues nothing wrong with talking about them

That's not true at all. Been a Texas fan since 10 years old and born Texan raised partially in Texas. Just not a kool aid drinker. We have some issues nothing wrong with talking about them
Show 1 person on here drinking kool aid!!! Just 1!!! Did you think Herman would NEVER lose a game?

Let me tell you something there Team Strong.....if Herman goes 6-7...5-7...5-7.....I want Texas to fire his ass to!!!

Show 1 person on here drinking kool aid!!! Just 1!!! Did you think Herman would NEVER lose a game?

Let me tell you something there Team Strong.....if Herman goes 6-7...5-7...5-7.....I want Texas to fire his ass to!!!
Of course I didn't expect Herman to lose a game. That's assine. But EVERYONE expected Texas to handle this game. And my comments if you read them had little to do with Herman and more to do with his choice for DC which I wasn't a fan of from the get go.

My comment on Herman isn't out of line either. No question he can get his team ready for big games but he also had some losses and close calls to whst you'd say are lesser teams. Maybe that's what we saw today.

Ryan, go to bed. Does your mom know you're up this late? :rolleyes:

Looks like our new coach has thin skin.

Bohls :Texas says it will not allow offensive, defensive coordinators to talk to the media after games this season.

Hate to lose, but maybe this loss comes in handy, somehow for the rest of the season. Wake up call and gut check. Hook em Horns!

Looks like our new coach has thin skin.

Bohls :Texas says it will not allow offensive, defensive coordinators to talk to the media after games this season.

Not good. No talkie, well I'll watch again when we get <.500 which may not happen for a long time.

gut wrenching to come all they way back, have them on the ropes with their back up QB in, and then let it slip away... showed some heart at least, but still a tough way to start the season.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Before you write off Herman consider: 1.How many players on the field did he and his staff recruit? 2.Did these players win under Strong?

Absolutely. Herman is going to be a good coach at Texas. It's foolish for people to give up on him after one game. I'll take Herman all day long over Strong. When things shake out, this will be a good hire for Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT