ADVERTISEMENT

ww3

Somebody get @GuaranteedFresh! in here to walk you through what happens when MBTs are added to a conflict. They break easily and often and need parts on the reg... our Abrams needs jet fuel to run-- not easy to come by. It's fast, 45mph- about the same as the Leopard II which is diesel. But tanks fvck shit up. Badly. The T14 is a speed demon (55mph) but it has flaws.

Not the point- the point is when you introduce these heavy weapons into both sides of a conflict, sh!t gets hairy for everyone.

Somebody get @GuaranteedFresh! in here to walk you through what happens when MBTs are added to a conflict. They break easily and often and need parts on the reg... our Abrams needs jet fuel to run-- not easy to come by. It's fast, 45mph- about the same as the Leopard II which is diesel. But tanks fvck shit up. Badly. The T14 is a speed demon (55mph) but it has flaws.

Not the point- the point is when you introduce these heavy weapons into both sides of a conflict, sh!t gets hairy for everyone.
Seems like with all the accurate missiles out there a tank is basically a sitting duck. Weren't the Ukrainians picking off Russia's tanks pretty easy at first? Why would these tanks be any different?

Seems like with all the accurate missiles out there a tank is basically a sitting duck. Weren't the Ukrainians picking off Russia's tanks pretty easy at first? Why would these tanks be any different?
Some tanks have the ability to defend themselves. They have things like "trophy systems".

Check it out- I'm a dude with an anti-tank munition. Like a shoulder fired rocket. I aim it at your tank and fire. The system detects the launch of the projectile at it. In a nanosecond, the system then calculates the trajectory of the incoming munition and then launches a countermeasure right at the weapon. The countermeasure is a small explosive designed to hit the incoming projectile right on its nose, thus causing it to go boom.
There's one called the Iron Fist that the Je----err Israelis developed that can even stop incoming tank rounds.
But not everybody's sh!t works as well as others.
The Russian don't have the best of countermeasures. Abrams and Leopards are pretty spot on. Our tanks even have (allegedly) armor that blows OUT. Ya-- so let's say your rocket manages to get by my Trophy system countermeasure-- and your rocket slams into the turret of my tank. Well-- my bad ass armor senses the moment the rocket touches the tank and BOOM! and explosive panel blows OUT toward the incoming rocket and shreds it-- this (hopefully) minimizes the damage done to my tank and keeps my crew from being injured.

Russia got exposed. They do make cutting edge toys but they don't go into production for real world deployment. They pretty much haven't updated their force since the cold war and it shows.
Scare the world superpowers & embolden your citizens with parades and airshows is the playbook of all our enemies. Does anyone actually believe N.Koreas military is as formidable as they claim? Nope.
That's why they all immediately bring up nukes when they don't get their way. It's like a 90lb chick with a .50 in her holster. She doesn't have to be strong because she has a 1 shot equalizer.

So, what happens next on the chessboard? I don't think this is going to go away slowly.

So, what happens next on the chessboard? I don't think this is going to go away slowly.
Somebody acts on desperation or someone looks for diplomatic escape which basically kicks the can down the road in trade for a period of calmness. There really doesn't seem to be a solution that all sides would be comfortable with.
I think the best scenario ends with something similar to the Koreas. They remain officially at war indefinitely but agree on a dmz buffer.

Worst case scenario? Everyone becomes experts in MOPP 4 & post apocalyptic survival.

JRE podcast #1921 with Peter Zeihan was really good. It’s about an hour and 45 min and deals with Putin, Xi, and host of other issues. Peter has an interesting point of view on the Ukraine war and general timeline of future events.

Russia got exposed. They do make cutting edge toys but they don't go into production for real world deployment. They pretty much haven't updated their force since the cold war and it shows.
Scare the world superpowers & embolden your citizens with parades and airshows is the playbook of all our enemies. Does anyone actually believe N.Koreas military is as formidable as they claim? Nope.
That's why they all immediately bring up nukes when they don't get their way. It's like a 90lb chick with a .50 in her holster. She doesn't have to be strong because she has a 1 shot equalizer.
I don't think anyone believes that North Korea has that formidable an army.

Otoh South Korea has an elite army one of the finest in the world. And unlike South Vietnam they were willing to fight for their freedom and they still are. I don't think the North Korean are willing.

Those North Korean nukes do they really have them? I wonder if Ukraine emerges victorious would that start the collapse of the Kim dynasty.

I'm sure the world hopes so. The Korean peninsula is capable of setting off a world conflict. The Kim dynasty has to be brought down.

I don't think anyone believes that North Korea has that formidable an army.

Otoh South Korea has an elite army one of the finest in the world. And unlike South Vietnam they were willing to fight for their freedom and they still are. I don't think the North Korean are willing.

Those North Korean nukes do they really have them? I wonder if Ukraine emerges victorious would that start the collapse of the Kim dynasty.

I'm sure the world hopes so. The Korean peninsula is capable of setting off a world conflict. The Kim dynasty has to be brought down.
There's a handful of unreal documentaries from undercover journalists going on N Koreas guided tourist trips. We use the term "brainwashed" very loosely here but wow, they are the definition of it.

The last generation to even understand what freedom is actually like, no longer exists. It's beyond sad. China will never willingly allow a revolution or a liberation of N Korea because the sheer volume of slave labor they get in trade for food & supplies. It's crazy.

If we enter a hot ww3, NKorea absolutely has to be run through.

There's a handful of unreal documentaries from undercover journalists going on N Koreas guided tourist trips. We use the term "brainwashed" very loosely here but wow, they are the definition of it.

The last generation to even understand what freedom is actually like, no longer exists. It's beyond sad. China will never willingly allow a revolution or a liberation of N Korea because the sheer volume of slave labor they get in trade for food & supplies. It's crazy.

If we enter a hot ww3, NKorea absolutely has to be run through.
I wonder what would happen if Putin is defeated in Ukraine.

Maybe it will have a domino effect which could loosen the Russian grip on North Korea and put more pressure on China. They might start to think if North Korea is worth it.

One can hope.

I do wish that we could do more to help North Korean refugees.

I wonder what would happen if Putin is defeated in Ukraine.

Maybe it will have a domino effect which could loosen the Russian grip on North Korea and put more pressure on China. They might start to think if North Korea is worth it.

One can hope.

I do wish that we could do more to help North Korean refugees.
Nnnnnnnnnope

I read that entire article..... got very little from it.
When Putin is defeated/stonewalled in Europe, he will move south to steal the gas fields in the Mediterranean. He wants the energy supply and to rule the Blach Sea region. He will ally with Turkey and split the spoils. He wants the Black Sea and the East Med.. The entry to Eastern Europe flows up the Danube. It's a huge trade route like the Mississippi is in the US.

Last edited:
When Putin is defeated/stonewalled in Europe, he will move south to steal the gas fields in the Mediterranean. He wants the energy supply and to rule the Blach Sea region. He will ally with Turkey and split the spoils. He wants the Black Sea and the East Med.. The entry to Eastern Europe flows up the Danube. It's a huge trade route like the Mississippi is in the US.
I get all that. The gas field found in the Med that Chevron just bought the rights to is off the coast of ISRAEL. Massive field that will fuel all of Europe for the next 100+ years.

If you, or anybody else, thinks Russia has a Chinaman's chance in hell of getting his hands on that- somebody is smoking some prime +5 grass.
Israel would come out of their shoes to plant a foot in his ass over that.

I get all that. The gas field found in the Med that Chevron just bought the rights to is off the coast of ISRAEL. Massive field that will fuel all of Europe for the next 100+ years.

If you, or anybody else, thinks Russia has a Chinaman's chance in hell of getting his hands on that- somebody is smoking some prime +5 grass.
Israel would come out of their shoes to plant a foot in his ass over that.
He's gonna try. He's conscripting every person he can from the old Soviet republics. They will come with numbers.

He's gonna try. He's conscripting every person he can from the old Soviet republics. They will come with numbers.
The days of conscript/drafted soldiers making a significant difference in a war are long gone. They can help to maintain an occupation but as far as advancing against an equally equipped force....not in todays war.

Better equipment & logistics trump throwing more bodies at bullets now. The general populous will only accept a mounting body count for so long.

You want to see scorched earth? Let Putin try and get between the Je....eerrrrr I mean the Israelis and their money.....

This is why Isreal needs to pay attention and I'm sure they are. The former satellite Russian republics plus Russia and Turkey have a combined military of close to 7-8 million on active duty.

Edit: Ignore the stupid climate change non sense. Carbon credits are the same as Catholic indulgences.

https://internationalman.com/articl...-indulgences-how-you-can-avoid-being-fleeced/
Just sat through a meeting about this in Paris in December.
The Crimea gas field is large. About 2 trillion mcf.
Very large. Big find. May be even more down there. That's all well and good.
The Leviathon field off the coast of Israel is 22 trillion. Chevron now owns 39-40% of it. Russia will NEVER get their hands on Leviathon. All of Europe will be powered by Leviathon for a century or more.

Russia is fvcked.

Just sat through a meeting about this in Paris in December.
The Crimea gas field is large. About 2 trillion mcf.
Very large. Big find. May be even more down there. That's all well and good.
The Leviathon field off the coast of Israel is 22 trillion. Chevron now owns 39-40% of it. Russia will NEVER get their hands on Leviathon. All of Europe will be powered by Leviathon for a century or more.

Russia is fvcked.
What do you think of these rare earth metal discoveries in Sweden? What more than a million metric gallons. This world be great for Europe who gets 99% of this from China. And apparently Putin can't touch it.

To date, Ukraine has about 1,000 soviet made main battle tanks (mostly T-72's). 300 Nato tanks should be held in reserve to use as breakout tanks during major battles. MBTs are already being used extensively and have since Russia invaded

To date, Ukraine has about 1,000 soviet made main battle tanks (mostly T-72's). 300 Nato tanks should be held in reserve to use as breakout tanks during major battles. MBTs are already being used extensively and have since Russia invaded
I think we can all agree that while the T72 was, in its time, a formidable foe due to the numbers produced, its been reduced to cannon fodder on the modern battlefield. Its got less armor, a smaller gun, its lighter, smaller V12 engine- hell, you can't be over 5'4 to be a crew member. I'm sure you asked the Iraqis how it performed. You can pop the top off it with a can opener....(not literally).
The Leopard II is a beast. The Abrams won't arrive for several months. But as expected, once we gave the mouse a cookie (tanks) he wanted a glass of milk (F-16s). If we give him F16s, he'll as for F35s, Apache helos- and eventually F15s-- I don't think he has the balls to ask for F22s.

Reactions: JustAHorn88
I agree the Leopards and M1 variants will certainly outclass the older Soviet T72s, but the bigger question to me is how well the Leopards and M1s can stand up to "top" attacks, whether from TOW2 B (or equivalent Russian anti armor missiles) or from anti armor equipped drones. I am no longer current on armor active protection systems, but a few years ago, the Trophy system, as well as USA developed active protective systems did have limitations.

I think we can all agree that while the T72 was, in its time, a formidable foe due to the numbers produced, its been reduced to cannon fodder on the modern battlefield. Its got less armor, a smaller gun, its lighter, smaller V12 engine- hell, you can't be over 5'4 to be a crew member. I'm sure you asked the Iraqis how it performed. You can pop the top off it with a can opener....(not literally).
The Leopard II is a beast. The Abrams won't arrive for several months. But as expected, once we gave the mouse a cookie (tanks) he wanted a glass of milk (F-16s). If we give him F16s, he'll as for F35s, Apache helos- and eventually F15s-- I don't think he has the balls to ask for F22s.
The T-72 is the most updated Soviet Era main battle tank with a larger main gun (125mm) to the M-1, which is (120mm). The M-1 runs on jet fuel, not diesel and that is why other NATO MBT's are better, due to running on diesel.

The T-72 is the most updated Soviet Era main battle tank with a larger main gun (125mm) to the M-1, which is (120mm). The M-1 runs on jet fuel, not diesel and that is why other NATO MBT's are better, due to running on diesel.
Aren't most of these the first gen of T72s? The ones that cost about 500k to build? Do they have the updates and modern countermeasures the T72B3 (T90) or Leopard II have?

I was under the impression that Russia was sending out their "old kit" and keeping the updated toys in the rear in reserve.

Aren't most of these the first gen of T72s? The ones that cost about 500k to build? Do they have the updates and modern countermeasures the T72B3 (T90) or Leopard II have?

I was under the impression that Russia was sending out their "old kit" and keeping the updated toys in the rear in reserve.
Russian T-72's are the updated ones in Ukraine and so are Ukrainian ones. Russia added some T-80s and T-90s to the mix but not many. Russia's newest MBT is the T-14 and they are not letting those anywhere near Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT