ADVERTISEMENT

You A$$es have it all wrong.......It's not the coaches....It's the entitled kids.....

txn_in_wa

Nov 6, 2005
I am sure I will get beat up over this, and this will be the only and last post I ever make on here. You want to blame the coaches. Easy enough. You want to blame the staff. Easy enough. You want to blame the University. Easy enough. Here is what I blame.....the kids that are on the field, with the exception of just one, Sam Ehlinger. He stayed on the field for the "Eyes of Texas", the only one, the only one that cares about this university as much as I do. Bring in Saben, Bring in Urban. Mack Brown is a good coach, just look at what he has done with UNC. Yet we dumped him. I have seen nobody since Colt, that has come here to play because he loves this university more than anything else. No one! Sam can't keep someone from holding. Sam can't keep someone from illegal motion. Does Sam have some errors? Yes. That interception at the end of yesterday's game was disheartening. I actually feel for the kid. But the coaches don't coach interceptions. The coaches don't coach offsides. The coaches don't coach holding. The coaches don't coach blocks in the back. The Texas team, since 2006 has been full of recruits that feel entitled to be at Texas, and that they should be winning no matter what. Doesn't matter the coach. Maybe we should just recruit 2-3 stars so that they shine because they are proud to be part of something that they wouldn't normally be a part of. Fu*k recruiting stars. Maybe if we just recruited players that actually wanted to be here, and didn't have egos of NFL players, we could play some damn football. This is an entitled team, not because or the coaching, but because of the prestige at playing at Texas. They expect to win, not play to win. You can reply if you want. I won't say anything further. I blame the kids, not the coaches.

The kids that Nick Saban is coaching at Alabama and the kids that Dabo are coaching at Clemson grow up the same way the kids Tom Herman is coaching at Texas.

Coaches coach NOT holding.....coaches coach NO blocks in the back. Coaches coach discipline.

Lol, a sooner telling us what is wrong with our team. I will quote Brent Venerables back when he was at blOwU and why the gooners were owning Texas in the early 00's.

Brent basically said, "Players will give you exactly what is required of them".

As much as I hated him back then, I knew he was right. This coaching staff has no idea what it means to hold kids accountable for their actions. We need to hold the coaches accountable and the athletes will get the message.

I am sure I will get beat up over this, and this will be the only and last post I ever make on here. You want to blame the coaches. Easy enough. You want to blame the staff. Easy enough. You want to blame the University. Easy enough. Here is what I blame.....the kids that are on the field, with the exception of just one, Sam Ehlinger. He stayed on the field for the "Eyes of Texas", the only one, the only one that cares about this university as much as I do. Bring in Saben, Bring in Urban. Mack Brown is a good coach, just look at what he has done with UNC. Yet we dumped him. I have seen nobody since Colt, that has come here to play because he loves this university more than anything else. No one! Sam can't keep someone from holding. Sam can't keep someone from illegal motion. Does Sam have some errors? Yes. That interception at the end of yesterday's game was disheartening. I actually feel for the kid. But the coaches don't coach interceptions. The coaches don't coach offsides. The coaches don't coach holding. The coaches don't coach blocks in the back. The Texas team, since 2006 has been full of recruits that feel entitled to be at Texas, and that they should be winning no matter what. Doesn't matter the coach. Maybe we should just recruit 2-3 stars so that they shine because they are proud to be part of something that they wouldn't normally be a part of. Fu*k recruiting stars. Maybe if we just recruited players that actually wanted to be here, and didn't have egos of NFL players, we could play some damn football. This is an entitled team, not because or the coaching, but because of the prestige at playing at Texas. They expect to win, not play to win. You can reply if you want. I won't say anything further. I blame the kids, not the coaches.
OP--- good post and it should not be your last.

Please allow me to respectfully retort.

Yes-- I agree with the spirit of your post. We DO have entitled kids. One walk around the locker room, weight room, medical treatment facility, meeting rooms etc-- and you will see a brand of luxury usually reserved for Saudi Princes. When your locker has its own big screen TV and patented LED light system specifically created for this locker room-- you know you're spoiled. I won't even compare the facilities now to the facilities when I was there-- and don't kid yourself, everything we had 25 years ago was first class-- but now, it's opulence. Sheer opulence.
I have been fortunate enough to have stayed in some of the most posh hotels all over the world. The accommodations we have provided for our athletes rivals ANY five star hotel I've ever entered.

But here's the problem--- Bama has some pretty posh digs as well. So does aggy. Ohio state's facilities are insane. LSU players have BEDS in their locker. Each kid has a chase lounge to SLEEP on---- in their locker!

Other cushy places exist and at many of those cushy places-- kids win.

So let's back away a bit from the spoiled part.

Many of our kids played at schools that had teammates that went on to other universities. Westlake has produced Superbowl winning QBs-- Foles/Brees and Brees will be in the NFL HOF one day-- book it. Sam came from this school. But literally right next door is Lake Travis. Baker Mayfield, Garret Gilbert, Charlie and Michael brewer-- all came from this school. Some of these kids are entitled and some aren't-- and they all didn't go to the same university.

So we've backed away from kids being spoiled and we've backed a bit away from entitled athletes-- so what other factors can there be?

There's an old saying that "attitude reflects leadership". This is the case in Austin. There is and has been for quite some time, an attitude in Austin that is different than most cities. I remember when Austin was still a relative cow town. 183 and mopac were only concrete pillars with a two lane road running alongside in the shadows of the massive thoroughfare being built. Empty fields surrounded this construction. People traveled to Austin from far away exclaiming how "cool" Austin was. Those of us living there didn't see Austin as that cool. It was just "Austin" to us. We weren't trying to be cool, trendy, different. We were just being "us".

Then the floods came. The hoards of people descending upon Austin scrambling feverishly to stamp their own brand of "cool" on the town to make their mark. People started trying to BE cool. They went out of their way to break the social norms in an attempt to set trends, buck the system, make a ripple, stand out and create their own culture.

In short--- people started trying to BE COOL. And like Steve McQueen said, "if you have to try to be cool, you're not fvcking cool."
The climate of Austin changed and along with it, the personality of the VERY pliable kids on our team started to change. During this change of cultural climate, our kids (who can get into any venue in Austin because they are football players) were drawn into this ultra progressive soup that was being made. It slowly began to poison our well. Let's look at this for a second---

There are schools located in larger metro areas. University of Houston comes to mind. But are their any BLUE BLOOD programs located in large metro areas?
Bama?
OU?
Michigan?
Ohio State?
Notre Dame?

Nope. None of them are. USC could be your only blue blood program located in a major metro area-- and how has USC been doing the last 10 years?

Let's look at who is winning these days.
Bama- college town
LSU-- small city
Ohio st--- small city
Clemson--- college town
OU-- South of a city but in a college town.
Do you see where I'm going with this? Kids in college towns and small cities can be insulated from outside influences to a certain extent. Kids in a major metropolitan area, are more susceptible to these social influences that can become distracting and detrimental to a program.

Now, who's responsibility is it to limit these distractions and regulate what these kids are exposed to and who influence them?

The coaching staff.

And the staff is doing a terrible job of this.

Now let's address the poor discipline. See above. Kids that allow others around them to influence them negatively have poor discipline. Period. End of discussion.

Now let's address the staff.

Our coaches can coach. You put Herman at a non-power 5 school and that guy is going to win you 9-10 games every year and get you to a mid tier bowl game like clock work. But because of the CLIMATE in Austin, both political and social, Herman and his staff lack the tools to turn this tide back to the pre-2005 days. When you start handing out sideline passes to Hollywood stars and musical celebrities, you're setting a tone for your kids that they are "better" than everyone else. If they weren't, then why are Oscar winners hanging with them and sucking their ass---- "I must be important cause this dude with an Oscar thinks I'm the sh!t" .......... And that's how it keeps the train rolling. And Tom Herman is just as goo goo over singers and stars as his kids are. You think Nick Saban gives a sh!t about an Oscar or a grammy or a stupid ass rap album? He doesn't.

Tom is fighting an uphill battle that he doesn't have the chops to over come. Tom can't ban the kids from our state of the art weight room and banish them to the sh!t hole weight room under the stadium where there's no air conditioning and no juice/smoothie bar with a barista. The kids won't do it because they know deep down that even if they make that sacrifice, Tom can't get them to the promise land.

But they'd do it in a heart beat for Saban. They'd do it for Dabo. And they'd do it for Urban.

Urban has the chops to get the culture of Austin out of the locker room. He can convince kids to stop worrying about social justice issues that in the grand scheme of things, matter little. I'm hearing now that people with a platform are supposed to stand up for what THEY perceive to be "righteous". The problem is, the platform these kids have was GIVEN to them by those that came before them. Nobody would care what a player from a 7-5 team in a tiny little college had to say.
But a BLUE BLOOD program located in a major metropolitan area in one of the most progressive cities in the world creates a platform for kids that haven't EARNED that platform to speak their mind and allow the droning masses that have attached to these ideologies to chime in and reinforce their beliefs while aligning with these kids and thus, falsely empowering the kids. (Influenced by outside entities because they have no discipline)

It falls on the staff and the university to curtail that. Tom may WANT to curtail it, but the administration sure as hell doesn't want to curtail it. It fits their narrative.
And Tom doesn't hold enough sway or have enough prestige to tell the administration to suck his chocolate starfish and whip his players back in line. He's got no skins on the wall. He's got no clout. He's a goo goo eyed star fvcker that is just happy to be here.

And that's the root of the problem. When you're just happy to be here, you aren't getting anything done worth a damn.

Last edited:

Yes-- I agree with the spirit of your post. We DO have entitled kids. One walk around the locker room, weight room, medical treatment facility, meeting rooms etc-- and you will see a brand of luxury usually reserved for Saudi Princes. When your locker has its own big screen TV and patented LED light system specifically created for this locker room-- you know you're spoiled. I won't even compare the facilities now to the facilities when I was there-- and don't kid yourself, everything we had 25 years ago was first class-- but now, it's opulence. Sheer opulence.
I have been fortunate enough to have stayed in some of the most posh hotels all over the world. The accommodations we have provided for our athletes rivals ANY five star hotel I've ever entered.

But here's the problem--- Bama has some pretty posh digs as well. So does aggy. Ohio state's facilities are insane. LSU players have BEDS in their locker. Each kid has a chase lounge to SLEEP on---- in their locker!

Many of our kids played at schools that had teammates that went on to other universities. Westlake has produced Superbowl winning QBs-- Foles/Brees and Brees will be in the NFL HOF one day-- book it. Sam came from this school. But literally right next door is Lake Travis. Baker Mayfield, Garret Gilbert, Charlie and Michael brewer-- all came from this school. Some of these kids are entitled and some aren't-- and they all didn't go to the same university.

So we've backed away from kids being spoiled and we've backed a bit away from entitled athletes-- so what other factors can there be?

There's an old saying that "attitude reflects leadership". This is the case in Austin. There is and has been fro quite some time, an attitude in Austin that is different than most cities. I remember when Austin was still a relative cow town. 183 and mopac were only concrete pillars with a two lane road running alongside in the shadows of the massive thoroughfare being build. Empty fields surrounded this construction. People traveled to Austin from far away exclaiming how "cool" Austin was. Those of us living there didn't see Austin as that cool. It was just "Austin" to us. We weren't trying to cool, trendy, different. We were just being "us".

Then the floods came. The hoards of people descending upon Austin scrambling feverously to stamp their own brand of "cool" on the town to make their mark. People started trying to BE cool. They went out of their way to break the social norms in an attempt to set trends, buck the system, make a ripple, stand out and create their own culture.

In short--- people started trying to BE COOL. And like Steve McQueen said, "if you have to try to be cool, you're not fvcking cool."
The climate of Austin changed and along with it, the personality of the VERY pliable kids on our team started to change. During this change of cultural climate, our kids (who can get into any venue in Austin because they are football players) were drawn into this ultra progressive soup that was being made. It slowly began to poison our well. Let's look at this for a second---

There are schools located in larger metro areas. University of Houston comes to mind. But are their any BLUE BLOOD programs located in large metro areas?
Bama?
OU?
Michigan?
Ohio State?
Notre Dame?

Nope. None of them are. USC could be your only blue blood program located in a major metro area-- and how has USC been doing the last 10 years?

Bama- college town
LSU-- small city
Ohio st--- small city
Clemson--- college town
Do you see where I'm going with this? Kids in college towns and small cities can be insulated from outside influences to a certain extent. Kids in a major metropolitan area, are more susceptible to these social influences that can become distracting and detrimental to a program.

Now, who's responsibility is it to limit these distractions and regulate what these kids are exposed to and who influence them?

The coaching staff.

Now let's address the poor discipline. See above. Kids that allow others around them to influence them negatively have poor discipline. Period. End of discussion.

Our coaches can coach. You put Herman at a non-power 5 school and that guy is going to win you 9-10 games every year and get you to a mid tier bowl game like clock work. But because of the CLIMATE in Austin, both political and social, Herman and his staff lack the tools to turn this tide back to the pre-2005 days. When you start handing out sideline passes to Hollywood stars and musical celebrities, you're setting a tone for your kids that they are "better" than everyone else. If they weren't, then why are Oscar winners hanging with them and sucking their ass---- "I must be important cause this dude with an Oscar thinks I'm the sh!t" .......... And that's how it keeps the train rolling. And Tom Herman is just as goo goo over singers and stars as his kids are. You think Nick Saban gives a sh!t about an Oscar or a grammy or a stupid ass rap album? He doesn't.

Tom is fighting an uphill battle that he doesn't have the chops to over come. Tom can't ban the kids from our state of the art weight room and banish them to the sh!t hole weight room under the stadium where there's no air conditioning and no juice/smoothie bar with a barista. The kids won't do it because they know deep down that even if they make that sacrifice, Tom can't get them to the promise land.

But they'd do it in a heart beat for Saban. They'd do it for Dabo. And they'd do it for Urban.

Urban has the chops to get the culture of Austin out of the locker room. He can convince kids to stop worrying about social justice issues that in the grand scheme of things, matter little. I'm hearing now that people with a platform are supposed to stand up for what THEY perceive to be "righteous". The problem is, the platform these kids have was GIVEN to them by those that came before them. Nobody would care what a player from a 7-5 team in a tiny little college had to say.
But a BLUE BLOOD program located in a major metropolitan area in one of the most progressive cities in the world creates a platform for kids that haven't EARNED that platform to speak their mind and allow the droning masses that have attached to these ideologies to chime in and reinforce their beliefs while aligning with these kids and thus, falsely empowering the kids. (Influenced by outside entities because they have no discipline)

It falls on the staff and the university to curtail that. Tom may WANT to curtail it, but the administration sure as hell doesn't want to curtail it. It fits their narrative.
And Tom doesn't hold enough sway or have enough prestige to tell the administration to suck his chocolate starfish and whip his players back in line. He's got no skins on the wall. He's got no clout. He's a goo goo eyed star fvcker that is just happy to be here.

And that's the root of the problem. When you're just happy to be here, you aren't getting anything done worth a damn.

Damn, you nailed it!

I will nitpick because we lived in Columbus OH for a short period of time in the '90s. It is very similar in population to Austin (922K Columbus, 988K Austin), it is also the state capitol and not a small city. The difference there is probably the Urban Meyer influence on the program and that Columbus makes no effort to be weird as in, "Keep Austin Weird." But I agree with everything else in Clob's comment.

Here is the problem with the “our kids are just entitled brats” argument Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc recruit the same pool of kids we do. Are we really saying they get all the good ones and some how all the entitled ones come here? That seems a bit far fetched. Are we saying they are entitled once they get here? Well if that’s the case wouldn’t that be a coaching/ leadership problem.

look like it or not kids are different today. They weren’t raised how many of you or I were raised. There are both positives and negatives to that but that’s the way it is. All the top schools are recruiting the same kids, dealing with the same issues. The coaches and programs who are winning have adapted to that. The teams that aren’t successful are blaming society and longing for the “good ole days”

I don't know what Tom herman had to sell to get kids to pick Texas, maybe he decided to offer them the moon and couldn't deliver. All I know is that talent isn't the issue, coaching and discipline is the issue. Accountability is the issue. This has been the issue since the mid 80's. That is how far back I remember hearing stories of how entitled the football team is.

This is why I'm all for Urban Meyer coming to Texas. He walks into the room, he demands respect, when he talks people will listen. He might be the only college level coach out there that can get that from the players outside of Dabo or Saban.

Do I like him as a human being, probably not, but no one can question him as a coach.

Reactions: HornNation101
That's about as easy as convincing a liberal that DJT is the greatest POTUS in history. Good luck with THAT! :oops:

It is not hard if the kids know that you will help them get into the NFL.
The problem is that Herman does not have that leverage....

Do you really think the players at Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State and OU are any less entitled? This argument is just a projection. You want the issue to be something political because it fits your world view. The primary problem at Texas right now is talent. I think OU has had nearly double the NFL draft picks over the last decade including three QBs. If you get another Vince Young or Colt McCoy under center and some weapons to go with him, the coaches will look like geniuses. Hell, look at Lincoln Riley. Now he has a young (but still talented) QB instead of a guy who will be taking snaps in the pros next year, and OU is struggling a bit. And this might surprise you, but the way to lure top talent probably isn’t alienating Black players.

It is not hard if the kids know that you will help them get into the NFL.
The problem is that Herman does not have that leverage....
Like I was saying, good luck with getting 95-100 kids (who all think they're THAT good) to believe they will be one of the lucky/talented ones that can actually make it to the NFL.

Herman doesn't command respect because he acts like he's one of them. Bad mistake from the get-go, IMO.

Do you really think the players at Alabama and Clemson and Ohio State and OU are any less entitled? This argument is just a projection. You want the issue to be something political because it fits your world view. The primary problem at Texas right now is talent. I think OU has had nearly double the NFL draft picks over the last decade including three QBs. If you get another Vince Young or Colt McCoy under center and some weapons to go with him, the coaches will look like geniuses. Hell, look at Lincoln Riley. Now he has a young (but still talented) QB instead of a guy who will be taking snaps in the pros next year, and OU is struggling a bit. And this might surprise you, but the way to lure top talent probably isn’t alienating Black players.
Nobody is alienating black talent. Read my earlier post. Alabama has probably the most racist past in college football save ole miss. Alabama is thriving under saban because he has control of the minds of his kids. His kids know that if they come to Bama and do what they're told to do, they have a shot at going to the NFL and putting food on the plates of their families. When there is an issue regarding politics or race, it is handled in the locker room. It's not made into a public spectacle. Alabama players don't hop on Twitter and air their bull sh!t for the world to see. Our kids do. Aggy kids do. And racism can be found anywhere you look for it. The pyramids weren't built by labor unions. They were built by slaves. Many of them Jewish slaves. You don't hear Jews talking about hereditary bad backs from hauling around stones for 250 years. The Romans enslaved an entire continent for 750 years. Do I boycott spaghetti and Italian wine because of Roman slavery? My family roots go back to the tribes that formed the visigoths and were enslaved by the Romans. Did I feel alienated whenever I was forced to read Julius Caesar?

Did you own slaves? Were you a slave?

These arguments about race and race relations are only valid through the looking glass. If you feel African Americans were put upon negatively in the past well, you're right. They were. So were Jews. So were the Irish. And the Chinese. And Italians. All in this country. And if you feel bad because somewhere in your family tree your great great grandpa owned a slave well, that's on him. And if you want it to be on you, well here's a great big ol' cross for you to climb up on and nail yourself to. But to try and say that one group "had it worse" than another is just folly. And if you feel guilty about something, maybe something you've done in the past, well, that's on you too. But I don't feel guilty. I have treated people of all races the same-- like the good people they are or like the ass holes they are. That's how the world is supposed to work. Good folks are treated with respect and dignity. Ass holes aren't. And it doesn't matter your skin color or the way you comb your hair or the God you worship or don't worship-- ass holes come in all shapes and sizes-- and so do decent people.

But to lump a group of people together and point at something you had no part of, you didn't build, you didn't write or compose, and say "well dadgummit that there is racist" is just simple mindedness and shows your lack of true understanding. You're following the flock. Think for yourself.

If tomorrow, I came to you and convinced you that (I don't know your heritage but let's pretend you're Scottish) you needed to hate not only the English for laying waste to your family heritage and lands and wealth and that they had used you as slave labor for 500 years and that the United States was founded by people with the blood of English nobles flowing through them so yo needed reparations from not only England, but the US--- would you buy it?

Maybe, but probably not. And why? Because it was a long time ago. Before you were born. We have to start dealing with the here and now or we can keep dredging up the past and looking over our shoulders.
Want to look over our shoulders? Cool. I want every politician from 1776 through 2016 that as held office to have all their personal information that was classified released to the public. Everything. All of it. Make that trade? Or would you prefer to just move forward?

Reactions: Drtxhorn

I never made this political. You just did though.

Lol, a sooner telling us what is wrong with our team. I will quote Brent Venerables back when he was at blOwU and why the gooners were owning Texas in the early 00's.

Brent basically said, "Players will give you exactly what is required of them".

As much as I hated him back then, I knew he was right. This coaching staff has no idea what it means to hold kids accountable for their actions. We need to hold the coaches accountable and the athletes will get the message.

Where in the f*cking world did you get that I was a sooner? I hate the sooners more than I hate aggy. I have been on this site for years, but haven't posted much in the last couple of years because it seems to be a bitch fest on the coaches. You may not remember any of my posts since it's been so long, but go back a look if you really want to know if I am a sooner or not. If you need any other proof, I'll send you pics of both of my degrees from UT. Proof of the internship I had with the athletic department in 1995. A picture of the Longhorns flag that I had Eric Metcalf sign while sitting at his house in Renton, WA. A picture of the autographed football I have from Mack Brown that I got when I was president of the TexasExes. Need I go on? One thing I can't share with you is the view I had of Phil Dawson kicking the game winning field goal into the wind from about 50 yards against Virginia. I didn't have an iPhone then when I was standing behind the goal post and the ball fell 3 feet in front of me. But find that footage and you will see me there. In Burnt Orange, a$$hole.

Last edited:

There's an old saying that "attitude reflects leadership". This is the case in Austin. There is and has been for quite some time, an attitude in Austin that is different than most cities. I remember when Austin was still a relative cow town. 183 and mopac were only concrete pillars with a two lane road running alongside in the shadows of the massive thoroughfare being built. Empty fields surrounded this construction. People traveled to Austin from far away exclaiming how "cool" Austin was. Those of us living there didn't see Austin as that cool. It was just "Austin" to us. We weren't trying to be cool, trendy, different. We were just being "us".

Then the floods came. The hoards of people descending upon Austin scrambling feverishly to stamp their own brand of "cool" on the town to make their mark. People started trying to BE cool. They went out of their way to break the social norms in an attempt to set trends, buck the system, make a ripple, stand out and create their own culture.

Bama?
OU?
Michigan?
Ohio State?
Notre Dame?

Bama- college town
LSU-- small city
Ohio st--- small city
Clemson--- college town

The coaching staff.

Thank your for your post. Informative and I appreciate it. But, I will retort that Baton Rouge and Columbus, OH, are not small cities. I am from Amarillo, that is a small city. Lubbock is a small city. But Baton Rouge and Columbus are at least 4 times larger than those small cities. And Muleshoe, where my mom and dad are from, and my grandparents lived, the home of Lincoln Riley, is a small town. :)

Thank your for your post. Informative and I appreciate it. But, I will retort that Baton Rouge and Columbus, OH, are not small cities. I am from Amarillo, that is a small city. Lubbock is a small city. But Baton Rouge and Columbus are at least 4 times larger than those small cities. And Muleshoe, where my mom and dad are from, and my grandparents lived, the home of Lincoln Riley, is a small town. :)
New York, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, austin-- these are major metropolitan areas. I stand by Columbus and baton rouge are smaller cities.

Baton Rouge has three airlines that fly into it. Zero international flights.
Columbus has two international flights only. Non-stop to Cancun and Toronto.
That pretty much sums it up for me.

New York, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, austin-- these are major metropolitan areas. I stand by Columbus and baton rouge are smaller cities.

Won't argue about NY, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, LA, Austin.......what International flights does Austin have? I don't live there so I don't know because I usually have to go through NY, Chicago, Houston, Newark, etc. I live in Indianapolis with a population of 876K plus, not to mention the entire metro of Indy, which exceeds 1MM. We have and international airport yet no international flights that I know of at this point. Maybe one or two to Toronto, and we used to be able to get to Mexico, but that doesn't exist right now. So if international flights is your measurement, then, well......

Nobody is alienating black talent. Read my earlier post. Alabama has probably the most racist past in college football save ole miss. Alabama is thriving under saban because he has control of the minds of his kids. His kids know that if they come to Bama and do what they're told to do, they have a shot at going to the NFL and putting food on the plates of their families. When there is an issue regarding politics or race, it is handled in the locker room. It's not made into a public spectacle. Alabama players don't hop on Twitter and air their bull sh!t for the world to see. Our kids do. Aggy kids do. And racism can be found anywhere you look for it. The pyramids weren't built by labor unions. They were built by slaves. Many of them Jewish slaves. You don't hear Jews talking about hereditary bad backs from hauling around stones for 250 years. The Romans enslaved an entire continent for 750 years. Do I boycott spaghetti and Italian wine because of Roman slavery? My family roots go back to the tribes that formed the visigoths and were enslaved by the Romans. Did I feel alienated whenever I was forced to read Julius Caesar?

These arguments about race and race relations are only valid through the looking glass. If you feel African Americans were put upon negatively in the past well, you're right. They were. So were Jews. So were the Irish. And the Chinese. And Italians. All in this country. And if you feel bad because somewhere in your family tree your great great grandpa owned a slave well, that's on him. And if you want it to be on you, well here's a great big ol' cross for you to climb up on and nail yourself to. But to try and say that one group "had it worse" than another is just folly. And if you feel guilty about something, maybe something you've done in the past, well, that's on you too. But I don't feel guilty. I have treated people of all races the same-- like the good people they are or like the ass holes they are. That's how the world is supposed to work. Good folks are treated with respect and dignity. Ass holes aren't. And it doesn't matter your skin color or the way you comb your hair or the God you worship or don't worship-- ass holes come in all shapes and sizes-- and so do decent people.

But to lump a group of people together and point at something you had no part of, you didn't build, you didn't write or compose, and say "well dadgummit that there is racist" is just simple mindedness and shows your lack of true understanding. You're following the flock. Think for yourself.

If tomorrow, I came to you and convinced you that (I don't know your heritage but let's pretend you're Scottish) you needed to hate not only the English for laying waste to your family heritage and lands and wealth and that they had used you as slave labor for 500 years and that the United States was founded by people with the blood of English nobles flowing through them so yo needed reparations from not only England, but the US--- would you buy it?

Maybe, but probably not. And why? Because it was a long time ago. Before you were born. We have to start dealing with the here and now or we can keep dredging up the past and looking over our shoulders.
Want to look over our shoulders? Cool. I want every politician from 1776 through 2016 that as held office to have all their personal information that was classified released to the public. Everything. All of it. Make that trade? Or would you prefer to just move forward?

Saban also led a BLM march with his players. He listens to their concerns on race and doesn’t undermine them. He isn’t using some form of mind control to make them not care about racial issues. I’m not going to get into a deep discussion of race in this country because I would be wasting my breath. Besides, it does not matter what I think or what you think. We are not the people Texas needs to recruit to play football. You can argue racism is a myth all you want, but young Black athletes are not likely to believe you. And if you try to sell that line, you absolutely are alienating them and telling them they are not welcome.

Austin Metro population is 2.2 million. Columbus is 2 million. Oklahoma City, which includes Norman, is 1.4 million. Baton Rouge metro population is 830k.

FYI, NYC metro pop is over 18 million. Los Angeles 13 million, Chicago 9.5 million, Houston 7 million, Dallas 7.2 million. Columbus is comparable to Austin both in the city population and the metro population. And Austin is a lot closer to OKC metro than it is any of the others you mentioned.

My family can actually say yes to both. I'm related to slave owners in Mississippi, they lost everything when the South lost the war, they went from rich southern white dudes to the next generation being black smiths. My family has their own cemetery in Mississippi that is the standing they had back then.

It's nothing to be proud of, after the Civil war all the men in my family became drunks, so I guess being poor didn't agree with them. It wasn't until my father who was the first non-drunk.

Here is the funny thing, my mother's maiden name is Libertini, the name is derived from a social class in Italy known as Libertines. If you were a Libertine then it means you came from Slaves who were able to buy their freedom. I personally like to think we were gladiators who won our freedom, but more than likely we were whores.

So, I can honestly say I have both in me.

I think the city/town a school is in makes a huge difference. If a 5 star kid goes to Tuscaloosa AL, Clemson SC, or Norman OK, it is a football decision. No other reason to be in any of those places. These are kids whose number one consideration for where to go to school is ball.

Kids that go to USC, UCLA, UT, or Miami are often more interested in the surroundings than ball. Doesn't make them bad kids, just interested in a lot of things. And probably kids with options outside of ball, who are probably soft.

Kids going to Tuscaloosa don't care about art, culture, SJW BS, or playing school. They are in Tuscaloosa to play ball and go to the NFL. Period.

Coaches like Saban and Meyer aren't going to put up with the director of cultural studies lecturing them on anything related to their program. Big city leftist schools will win big again at some point, but I can not imagine being an elite coach and putting up with the BS. Can you imagine Saban being forced to tell you his preferred pronoun is he/him? Holy crap.

I think the city/town a school is in makes a huge difference. If a 5 star kid goes to Tuscaloosa AL, Clemson SC, or Norman OK, it is a football decision. No other reason to be in any of those places. These are kids whose number one consideration for where to go to school is ball.

Kids that go to USC, UCLA, UT, or Miami are often more interested in the surroundings than ball. Doesn't make them bad kids, just interested in a lot of things. And probably kids with options outside of ball, who are probably soft.

Kids going to Tuscaloosa don't care about art, culture, SJW BS, or playing school. They are in Tuscaloosa to play ball and go to the NFL. Period.

Coaches like Saban and Meyer aren't going to put up with the director of cultural studies lecturing them on anything related to their program. Big city leftist schools will win big again at some point, but I can not imagine being an elite coach and putting up with the BS. Can you imagine Saban being forced to tell you his preferred pronoun is he/him? Holy crap.
I have no idea where the pronoun thing comes from, but if a cultural studies professor pointed out something involved with Alabama’s traditions was racist, I highly doubt Saban would get into a pissing contest about it. That’s just not what good coaches do. That’s why Saban led a BLM march. He listens to his players. No coach in the country is going to get away with blowing off the concerns of his players over racism. Not anymore. Saban is smart enough to know that.

I have no idea where the pronoun thing comes from, but if a cultural studies professor pointed out something involved with Alabama’s traditions was racist, I highly doubt Saban would get into a pissing contest about it. That’s just not what good coaches do. That’s why Saban led a BLM march. He listens to his players. No coach in the country is going to get away with blowing off the concerns of his players over racism. Not anymore. Saban is smart enough to know that.
Again-- Saban handles things internally. His kids don't rush to social media to air their opinions. That means saban holds influence over them------ because of the way he handles things INSIDE the locker room. I guess you'd have to see this through my eyes to understand how a coach can handle things poorly (Mackovic) vs a coach that handles things properly (Mack Brown).

Rest assured that Tom runs around trying to placate and band aid every situation. Saban does not. Saban gets his kids to rise above the BS. Tom allows in it.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Again-- Saban handles things internally. His kids don't rush to social media to air their opinions. That means saban holds influence over them------ because of the way he handles things INSIDE the locker room. I guess you'd have to see this through my eyes to understand how a coach can handle things poorly (Mackovic) vs a coach that handles things properly (Mack Brown).

Rest assured that Tom runs around trying to placate and band aid every situation. Saban does not. Saban gets his kids to rise above the BS. Tom allows in it.

As I said earlier Saban's players respect him and will listen to him because they know it's the right path to win a National Championship and get drafted. Herman is just a weird guy who monitors the color of their piss and will sit guys for unknown reasons or accidentally fumbling but doesn't do jack to players who commit unprovoked intentional penalties. That punter and whoever the linemen was that pushed the OU player after the play was over needs to ride the pine because their penalties cost the team points. But Herman let's that stuff fly which is why it will happen again. Same goes to the defensive guys who haven't learned in the past 10 years that you can't hit the QB after he throws the ball. This is not a new rule and it will get called every time. Stop doing it! Teams take on the personality of their coach, and what you see in Herman is what the team is. No accountability, and full of excuses.

If you give a mouse a cookie ...

ADVERTISEMENT