ADVERTISEMENT

You picked a bad time to leave me Lucille

HornNation101

1986 UT Grad and OEF US Army Combat Veteran
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2011
Fredericksburg, Texas
We have been thru some bad times but this time is different. Our own school and it's traditions are being attacked by our own players, we cannot recruit former UT Longhorn Football player's own sons, we cannot recruit O Linemen or D Tackles, and our coach is a fired man coaching. I loved that Sam stood there to sign the Eyes but I was beyond pissed off at our protesting players who did not. I do not think our AD can afford to wait another season of 5-5 with our current coach. I remember the mid 80's teams and early 90's teams but never had this loser feeling like I do now. Something is definitely different and not in a good way.

We have been thru some bad times but this time is different. Our own school and it's traditions are being attacked by our own players, we cannot recruit former UT Longhorn Football player's own sons, we cannot recruit O Linemen or D Tackles, and our coach is a fired man coaching. I loved that Sam stood there to sign the Eyes but I was beyond pissed off at our protesting players who did not. I do not think our AD can afford to wait another season of 5-5 with our current coach. I remember the mid 80's teams and early 90's teams but never had this loser feeling like I do now. Something is definitely different and not in a good way.

Makes sense. So why have the players in the SEC and tOSU not complained in the least? I'll tell you why... they are paid. This mess at our school tells me that we don't pay or not as much so there is freedom for the players to "protest". They are not bound to a pay for play contract.

This is where the game is headed. Full on payment of players. Schools will either go the way of the Ivy League or the SEC. There won't be an in between. TPTB at UT Austin are in a struggle to determine where we will end up. The determining factor will be the importance of the AD revenue. Can UT Austin survive without it?

Last edited:
i don’t think tradition is being attacked. I just don’t think players or coaches for that matter have the attachment to universities that they had a long time ago. Not sure I necessarily fault them for that either.

Reactions: StrangerHorn

giphy.gif

i don’t think tradition is being attacked. I just don’t think players or coaches for that matter have the attachment to universities that they had a long time ago. Not sure I necessarily fault them for that either.
You must have missed the Demand Letter this summer from our players if you do not think tradition is being attacked. You must have not noticed none of our players, except Sam, doing the traditional Eyes of Texas at the end of the game Saturday or the other games as well this season. You do not fault them ?

You must have missed the Demand Letter this summer from our players if you do not think tradition is being attacked. You must have not noticed none of our players, except Sam, doing the traditional Eyes of Texas at the end of the game Saturday or the other games as well this season. You do not fault them ?

If this continues, the ignore button is your friend.

We have been thru some bad times but this time is different. Our own school and it's traditions are being attacked by our own players, we cannot recruit former UT Longhorn Football player's own sons, we cannot recruit O Linemen or D Tackles, and our coach is a fired man coaching. I loved that Sam stood there to sign the Eyes but I was beyond pissed off at our protesting players who did not. ...
Texas appears to have 29 African studies professors, not including “affilliated African studies” faculty. That is 2-4 times the amount that each ou/clemson/Alabama/tOsu These young men are not coming to UT angry. They come excited and eager to make their mark. I have no issue with African studies-in fact, I believe it provides unique knowledge that requires its own program because US history doesn’t begin to give that subject enough time in such a broad course. However, I wonder the context that these youngsters are being taught. I also wonder if these professors are “aligned with Herman” or do they love their university and the athletics department? Or do they only care about their agenda. I may be alluding to a negative influence on their part, but I don’t really mean to because I simply do not know

Reactions: Drtxhorn
I saw the demand letter. I would also say just because something is tradition doesn’t necessarily make people who have a problem with it wrong.

It used to be that when players and coaches went to a University it was because they really wanted to be there. If you were a coach at Texas, Bama, etc that’s where you stayed until you retired or they fired ya.

while once the NCAA, Universities, and tv networks created a system that printed money. coaches start saying “damn I could be making a lot more money if I get these schools bidding against each other.

so while Nick Saban says “I love Alabama no other place I’d rather be”.... except he almost came to Texas.

Urban Meyer said the Ohio State was the only job that could of gotten out of retirement and he said it’s the last coaching job he’d take.... till Texas, or USC brings a Brinx truck

The whole world knew Tom Herman was gone from Houston 6 months after he got there. It was just a matter of when and where.

Players have realized they have the same power. Most of them are only in college because the NFL says they have to wait and college football is the only viable path to get where they want to go. So for many it’s a means to an end(or at least they think so). With that mind set they have no real loyalty to the school. They are at that school for as long as it benefits them. The moment it doesn’t it’s peace out. The last 3 number 1 picks in the draft transfered to the school they stated at. 3 of the 4 playoff teams last year has QBs that transferred in. One transferred in from one of the other playoff teams.

The reason I can’t fault them is some of these guys have millions of dollars on the line. In Joe borrows case it made him millions of dollars. How can I fault a kid for looking out for his interest? When the coaches and administrators do the same thing? Like I wouldn’t blame Trevor Lawerence if he was like damn you know I saw what happened to Dak and I just can’t risk that. It’s been fun Clemson but I’m out.

so what does all that have to do with tradition? Tradition only matters to you if you have some kind of emotional connection to it. For many of the players in college these days they don’t have that. It’s just a pit stop to where they want to be. And the coaches have been treating it like that forever. Players are just catching up

Texas appears to have 29 African studies professors, not including “affilliated African studies” faculty. That is 2-4 times the amount that each ou/clemson/Alabama/tOsu These young men are not coming to UT angry. They come excited and eager to make their mark. I have no issue with African studies-in fact, I believe it provides unique knowledge that requires its own program because US history doesn’t begin to give that subject enough time in such a broad course. However, I wonder the context that these youngsters are being taught. I also wonder if these professors are “aligned with Herman” or do they love their university and the athletics department? Or do they only care about their agenda. I may be alluding to a negative influence on their part, but I don’t really mean to because I simply do not know
I can tell you that one professor made a video of campus to point out all the racists things and traditions according to him. He ginned up anger based on bs. I could also say that the steps in front of the tower are racist, even without any rationale basis, and what does that accomplish? Getting all angry is not an accomplishment. Getting others all angry based on bs perceptions is not an accomplishment. If liberal UT is racist institution, then what is not a racist institution? This anger is all bs. The football program is down and there is no room for such crap from our own pitiful wanna be players. No discipline equals failure and Herman is a failure.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
I saw the demand letter. I would also say just because something is tradition doesn’t necessarily make people who have a problem with it wrong.

It used to be that when players and coaches went to a University it was because they really wanted to be there. If you were a coach at Texas, Bama, etc that’s where you stayed until you retired or they fired ya.

while once the NCAA, Universities, and tv networks created a system that printed money. coaches start saying “damn I could be making a lot more money if I get these schools bidding against each other.

so while Nick Saban says “I love Alabama no other place I’d rather be”.... except he almost came to Texas.

Urban Meyer said the Ohio State was the only job that could of gotten out of retirement and he said it’s the last coaching job he’d take.... till Texas, or USC brings a Brinx truck

The whole world knew Tom Herman was gone from Houston 6 months after he got there. It was just a matter of when and where.

Players have realized they have the same power. Most of them are only in college because the NFL says they have to wait and college football is the only viable path to get where they want to go. So for many it’s a means to an end(or at least they think so). With that mind set they have no real loyalty to the school. They are at that school for as long as it benefits them. The moment it doesn’t it’s peace out. The last 3 number 1 picks in the draft transfered to the school they stated at. 3 of the 4 playoff teams last year has QBs that transferred in. One transferred in from one of the other playoff teams.

The reason I can’t fault them is some of these guys have millions of dollars on the line. In Joe borrows case it made him millions of dollars. How can I fault a kid for looking out for his interest? When the coaches and administrators do the same thing? Like I wouldn’t blame Trevor Lawerence if he was like damn you know I saw what happened to Dak and I just can’t risk that. It’s been fun Clemson but I’m out.

so what does all that have to do with tradition? Tradition only matters to you if you have some kind of emotional connection to it. For many of the players in college these days they don’t have that. It’s just a pit stop to where they want to be. And the coaches have been treating it like that forever. Players are just catching up

Thats a lot of words to not really say much

As a friend once said of our boss....”he talks a lot , but don’t get nothin’ said”

...... You b!tch, you slut, you whore!

Isn't that how the song goes?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT