ADVERTISEMENT

1st amendment and student protests

TexanInMA

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Boston, MA Area (Austin Born)
I went down to UT and talked to some kids today on the South Mall and I wanted to write some thoughts down in case anyone reads this and its helpful. There was a ton of press, which I think is a good thing, and not much happening, although tomorrow that could change. I am not going to write or comment on any of the conversations, or what I saw or heard, since the first thing I had to do was defend myself against accusations of being a narc. I'm positive there were observers from many different factions, some of whom had no affiliation with UT, and undoubtedly they were there with an agenda.

People, by and large, including adults such as college professors, but particularly students, do not really understand the 1st Amendment. And why would they, unless they are in the law school or have taken classes on it. The messaging to students, whether that comes from the administration or the Governor, acts as if students have a nuanced, lawyerly understanding. "Its free speech, a protected free speech zone, but its against the institutional rules, so no". I think things would have gone a lot better if in the messaging to students they were given an outlet. "You can't protest here, but you can protest at the statehouse....or you can assemble on the sidewalk over there but not over here". Here are some other options. Here's what the 1A means, here's why. Students are also obsessed with "Fairness". So I would say something like "its not fair to students who are trying to study for finals in, you know, these buildings all around the South Mall." and explain why the institutional rules are the way they are. Maybe a statement more paternalistic and explanatory in tone rather than confrontational. I did feel kinda bad for the students, because I think they are sort of being treated like pawns, as the optics of a confrontation can serve both those on the extreme left and potentially the right.

Also about the "appropriation of space" concept -- The students are interested in the South Lawn because it has meaning, I suppose .... you have the statue of George Washington, you can clearly see the tower, the fountain with the horses etc. So they want to take it over. But what is the "fairness" of this group taking over the quad or the meaning of the quad, especially those unaffiliated with UT? They have no real legitimacy to do so, and I would say its therefore not really even "fair" for them to do so. The school has the right to proscribe its own meaning --- the meaning is academics, its surrounded by classrooms, the mission of the school is education.

OK rant over....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News