ADVERTISEMENT

6 Questions Heading into Saturday's Spring Game

CodyCarpentier

every like is another Jonathon Brooks rushing yard
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2023
Roanoke, VA
www.thedraftrankings.com
1. How many passes does Arch Manning attempt?

Overall in 2023, the Longhorn's top 3 quarterbacks attempted 49 passes for 390 yards. Ewers finished at 69% completion percentage on 23 attempts while Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning each finished with 13.

According to Anwar’s note in the War Room this week, Coach Sarkisian wants to keep Quinn Ewers on a pitch count, as he believes Ewers is playing at a high level right now and doesn’t need to see much from his starter.

Prediction: 20, last year it felt like a heated conversation with the entrance of Arch Manning and of course Maalik Murphy. This year, I think Arch will come in lower than Ewers’ 2023 total pass attempts and Trey Owens will finish second with around 17.

2. Who will win the “What are we Doing Award?”, courtesy of T’Vondre Sweat in 2023?

Note from Alex's 2023 Spring Game Deep Dig: "T'Vondre Sweat clearly doesn't belong with the second-team defense; what are we doing here? A decision-maker at the Senior Bowl THIS SEASON said in an off-record conversation that he would have been more interested in inviting Sweat to the All-Star game in 2023 had Sweat elected to leave for the NFL than he was in bringing in Keondre Coburn. Just a little nugget to file away. Sweat's job, like Watts', is in zero jeopardy barring radically unforeseen circumstances."

Prediction: Andrew Mukuba, Mukuba transferred to Texas this winter after playing over 600 snaps in each of the past three seasons for Clemson. Without having personal eyes on Practices this spring, conversations I’ve had with those in attendance are pointing at Michael Taafe as being a clear roadblock for Mukuba this spring. Everyone knows Mukuba can play, he just hasn’t taken the starting role and ran with it. Saturday’s Spring Game will be the opportunity to make it clear.

3. What should the expectation be for Freshman Running Backs Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark?

According to Alex Dunlap’s 2023 Spring Game Deep Dig, Savion Red led all running backs with 30 snaps, followed by CJ Baxter with 27, Jaydon Blue with 23, Ky Woods with 16, Collin Page with 8, and Anton Simoneau with 4. Jonathon Brooks was a DNP after offseason surgery.

Prediction: With Savion Red still on the roster in 2024 and Tre Wisner looking for more opportunities, both Clark and Gibson have an uphill battle to climb to take snaps away from the veterans in the room. But to this point in spring practices, both have done just that.

I predict Baxter and Blue to control the backfield split at the top with around 44-46 total snaps, in 2023 they combined for 50. Behind Baxter and Blue, I see Tre Wisner coming in around 27 snaps, Christian Clark with 19, Jerrick Gibson with 16, Savion Red with 8 snaps, and Collin Page and Ky Woods splitting 14 snaps.

4. Where does Ryan Niblett fit in the Wide Receiver rotation?

Niblett has been mentioned sparingly over the last few weeks of practice, namely as the receiver running with the second team in the slot behind DeAndre Moore. Anwar reported in late March that Niblett was amongst a group of players working as Punt Returners during practice. That list included most of the receiver room.

Note: According to the Texas Longhorns roster, Niblett gained 19 lbs from 2023 to 2024, weighing in at 202 lbs. Niblett played on just 4 total snaps during the 2023 season.

Prediction: Ryan Niblett will lead all skill players in total snaps during the Spring Game, scoring a touchdown and fitting in as one of the target leaders on the day.

Excited Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

5. Will a Recruit or Transfer “COMMIT” this weekend?

In 2022, Ryan Niblett and Tre Wisner both committed as part of the 2023 class, on the day of the Orange-White game. As part of the 2023 Recruiting class, only S’Maje Burrell had committed before the spring game, committing on April 2nd.

In 2023, Quarterback Trey Owens committed in January and was the first and only commitment until May 2nd when Kicker Michael Kern picked Texas. To this point in the 2024 class, Texas has 6 commitments heading into the Spring Game, most recently Linebacker Bo Barnes last weekend.

Note: Trill Carter committed out of the Transfer Portal, on Monday after the 2023 Spring Game.

Prediction: Yes, the layup answer is Transfer Bill Norton from Arizona. However, I would love to see another recruit in the 2025 class commit to keep the momentum going.

Checkout the full list of visitors this weekend from Jason Suchomel's notes in the War Room

6. What True Freshman will be the first to make a splash play?

There are a few options on the surface to choose from, we mentioned Christian Clark earlier, but those opportunities may not come until midway through the game. Xavier Filsaime and Colin Simmons are the two five-star prospects with the easiest path to playing time. But what about Ryan Wingo going up for a touchdown reception over a veteran like Terrence Brooks, or Alex January beating an Interior Lineman on his way to an early sack?

Prediction: This prediction doesn’t feel all that spicy if I’m being honest, however, I know it will rattle Longhorn fans if it happens early against our beloved Quinn. Give me a Kobe Black interception in the 1st quarter to set the tone for the defense and the rest of the freshman class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News