ADVERTISEMENT

A few recruiting notes from day one at the State Track Meet

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
2015 Newton CB Roney Elam, who holds a UT offer, listed Texas and Texas A&M as his top two. I asked if one stood above the other, and he said they're even. Arkansas and Alabama were listed behind UT and A&M.

Elam said he wants to camp at A&M and Alabama and said he'll try to make it to UT as well.

2014 UT RB signee Kevin Shorter was disqualified in the 100M after a false start but he competed in the long jump, 4X100 and 4X200. Shorter, as most of you know, missed most of his senior year with a spinal cord injury. I talked to him tonight and he said he feels great other than having lost a little strength because he was unable to work out for a long while.

Shorter said he's still hoping to play football at Texas. When he gets to UT, he said, he'll have further tests done to see if he can return to football. As of right now, he's hopeful and not ready to throw in the towel on his football career.

2015 CB Kendall Sheffield will meet with the Texas coaches tomorrow at about noon. Sheffield took gold in the 110 hurdles (easily) and the 300 hurdles. As for the visit tomorrow, Sheffield said it's just a chance to get to know the coaches better. He's not ready to list any favorites and doesn't have a timetable to start trimming his list.

2015 Gilmer DB Kris Boyd wasn't sure if he'd be able to make it over to meet with the UT football coaches. Boyd said he stays in close contact with the UT staff and Texas is still high on his list. In fact, UT was the first school out of his mouth when I asked who was standing out.

2015 DB Johnny Shaw plans to camp at UT in June. He's hoping he can perform well enough to regain his UT offer. If that happens, he said he'd recommit right away. Shaw said he was a little bummed at first when Texas notified him it was re-evaluating members of the 2015 class, but he understands the staff's stance now.

2015 WR Ryan Newsome came in second in the 4A 100M, with KD Cannon taking first. Newsome said he's still pretty open and isn't trying to rush into a decision, but Texas is very high on his list. He was hoping to meet with the UT coaches at some point on Friday night. Newsome loves the new UT staff and said he'd love the opportunity to play with his friend Jerrod Heard, who he said is the next Vince Young.

2016 Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones met with members of the UT staff on Friday afternoon and said it was a good visit overall. Texas is high on his list, although the Longhorns haven't offered yet. DB coach Chris Vaughn is scheduled to go see Jones next week. I asked Jones about the talk that A&M is his clear leader, and he said A&M isn't way out in front like everyone thinks, mostly because the Aggies are loading up at DB in the 2015 class and he wants to play right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News