ADVERTISEMENT

A Friday new ad/site performance update

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Hey guys, as promised last night, I wanted to check in and give you guys an update on the situation involving the confusion/frustration/anger related to an ad placement on the mobile.

1. I spoke the Director of Operations for Rivals for about a half-hour this morning during the 11am central hour. During that time, I can assure you that I stressed very strongly a lot of the frustrations shared in the last week about the performance-related issues of the mobile experience when using the site.

The one thing that we were in complete agreement on is that the performance of the site can't take a hit/lag/suck. Full stop.

2. The Rivals engineers are working non-stop to address any and all performance-related issues. In fact, I want to pass along a thanks from the tech team to all of the posters that have helped us identify performance-related issues with detailed reports about what was happening on their devices. It might have been a pain in the butt, but it did prove to be very useful. Thank you.

3. If you'll remember, there was a refresh issue on the site earlier in the year that was completely unique to this site and this site only. According to an engineer that I spoke with today, the feeling is that this issue is independent of the new ad issue and related to this previous issue. Rivals engineers are working to get this fixed. In fact, two engineers are focusing on this situation and are working with a member of the site in hopes of getting this solved.

"I've got two guys focused on Texas forums cleaning up any little code and config issue that sets it apart from the other sites; we did a few significant things last night in fact. We'll continue to do this, and hopefully (OB poster) can help us capture a log that will point us in the right direction."

4. It's unfortunate that these two things have happened at the same time because it is only natural to believe they are intertwined, but I'm told that engineers believe two separate issues are occurring.

5. I don't get the sense that the ad is going to go away. While there is a very strong commitment to make sure it's not any more intrusive than needing to click on an "X" to make it go away, it's likely going to exist based on the conversations I've had. Again, what engineers are working on is eliminating other issues that would exist related to performance.

6. Please, if you're having any issues related to performance, shoot me a PM or make a post in this thread. All of them will be have screenshots taken and sent to engineers in an effort of rectifying any issue.

7. There are a small amount of you that are using older devices and those might be more prone to some of the issues that have occurred than those with newer devices will experience. I'm not trying to shame anyone using an original Blackberry, I'm just relaying information.

8. If the ad is something that bothers you so much that it's always going to bother you, shoot me a PM. I'll get it taken care of.

9. Thank you for your patience in the last week. I know it's been a total pain in the ass for a number of you and nothing bothers me more than not being able to get stuff done for you guys in the name of creating the best experience on OB as possible. Here's hoping this is behind as soon as possible.

gk

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News