ADVERTISEMENT

AC Guys - Question on Compressor For Two Zone System

eljetfan

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
AC Experts. You might not be able to answer this question publicly, but maybe you would be willing to message me with specific details/recommendations.

Background: In November, I had a new AC & heating system installed upstairs and downstairs (3.5 down. 4 upstairs - 16 Seer Carrier brand) with a two zone system installed for upstairs. We have a large room over the garage that runs hot and we wanted it on its own zone after we converted it to a second master bedroom. We didn't use the largest AC company in DFW, but it was a larger one that is big enough to at least run some network TV ads (WFAA, NBC5). It has thousands of positive Google reviews. We paid $23,000 for the system - which we think was neither a good price or bad price. We didn't want to be cheap and wanted a good company. Our contractor (who was formally an AC guy) set up the relationship and they handled a lot of the specifics.

Unknown to me, they used a single stage compressor for upstairs. (Long story why this was unknown to me). The system has been a nightmare with lots of freezeups. First, the bypass vents failed (not sure if I used correct terminology). They installed some additional diverter vents that dumped excess cold air over our entry way when from when the one zone was running - that didn't work. They ripped out the two zone system so we could at least have something. It is not freezing up but the unit is performing like sh$t (didn't cool to specs on sub 100 degree day). They did install sensors to try to titrate schedule to different rooms upstairs but that has been mediocre.

The right way to fix this problem is to install the right equipment for the upstairs only (either a dual stage or variable compressor, not sure about heating unit) or to remove the 2nd zone and remove these extra vents added and refund me money for the 2nd zone cost that they didn't deliver.

I'd prefer the right equipment. I paid for a Honda but I need an Acura. I thought I was getting an Acura but that's a different story. And the car has already been driven off the lot. I'm willing to pay for difference in product cost (and a little extra to get what I want), but I don't want to pay for their mistakes. I'm already $23,000 into this system.

The AC company has been mostly responsive (I'd grade them a B to a B+), but their fixes have been lousy.

Questions:

1) What is the hard product cost difference between a single stage and 2 stage vs variable speed compressor? How much would a dealer look to reasonably make off this difference in cost?

2) If I swap out this unit for a different unit, what in the hell is the AC company going to do with it? How do they not take a bath? Can they donate to something like Habitat for Humanity and make their hard cost back in tax deductions?

I'm just trying to find a realistic solution for a f'd up problem.

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News