ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Reid on Worthy and Sark

cacahuate

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
US Virgin Islands
Andy Reid's comments on Worthy and Sark. A great description of what Reid is looking for in WRs.

The coaches should drop this on every WR recruits desk yesterday.

Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid Quotes
April 25, 2024

OPENING STATEMENT: “As you saw, we picked Xavier Worthy from Texas, wide receiver. We’re glad to
have him on board. We think he’s a heck of a football player, number one. He does a few different things,
he’s a good wide receiver and also good special teams returner, and he’ll end up doing both to start things
off with. He’ll just work into that rotation when we get him – the wide receiver rotation with Hollywood
(Brown), Rashee (Rice) and (Travis) Kelce and you know the other fellas. It should give Pat (Mahomes)
another weapon there to use, and with that, time’s yours.”
Q: Can you walk us through how the trade with the Bills went?
REID: “We’ve marked this kid, Xavier (Worthy), we’ve wanted him. We felt – you start getting down there
and somebody might jump us and pick him up. (General Manager) Brett (Veach) does a great job with
this; he’s got a real good feel for the people that have interest in that position and that player and where
he needs to go to attack it.”
Q: Besides his speed, what do you like about Xavier Worthy?
REID: “He’ a good route runner, and he’s not a big kid or at least weight wise. He’s got good height. He’s
just not very heavy, but I think you’ll see this toughness that he’s got which jumped out at me. When you
talk to a coach, (Texas Head) Coach (Steve) Sarkisian and I are close and he kept talking about how smart
he was. He’s got great football instincts, and he’s a tremendous worker. And, in this offense, you have to
be able to do that and have those characteristics.”
Q: When you think of Xavier’s 40 (yard dash) time, it’s hard to not think about Tyreek Hill. How do you
think having his type of speed back on your offense will help you guys in this upcoming season?
REID: “They’re different (Tyreek Hill and Xavier Worthy), and he’ll put his own mark on things once he
gets a feel for it. That wasn’t necessarily the comparison, as much as it was him being a good football
player that was a good wide receiver. Now you add in there the return ability. I’ve had some guys like that
Tyreek, DeSean Jackson – probably body type a little more like DeSean.”
Q: How important was it to add to the wide receiver room this offseason?
REID: “I like the wide receivers we’ve got, but to add somebody with this quality I think is important or a
good move to strengthen it. I don’t want to slight the guys we have either, but he’s a nice edition, you
guys (the media) know. I mean you’ve read everything, so you know that people thought he was a quality
player. For us to be able to get him down there with the trade, I thought that was well worth it.”
Q: Is Xavier’s weight an issue?
REID: “You’re asking the wrong guy about weight. I think he’s fine where he’s at. I don’t think that’s a
problem. He’s playing at a high level, and he’s been doing this since he was a freshman. I’m not too worried
about the weight.”
Q: What else did you learn from talking with Texas’ Head Coach Steve Sarkisian?
REID: “We’ve also talked to the kid (Xavier Worthy) and I just like his makeup. I like the fact that he can
go all day and that he loves football. You know how we’re wired here, (General Manager) Brett (Veach)
makes that a real characteristic that he likes, likewise as coaches. We love that, and so you find that out
by – and you can tell he’s passionate about the sport. I think you’ll see this when you meet him. He loves
to play, and he’s good at it.”
Q: When you think about adding an offensive weapon, do you run it by Patrick?
REID: “We told Patrick (Mahomes), yeah. Patrick’s curious, he loves this. He loves this stuff, it doesn’t
matter if it’s offense or defense, he just loves the draft. He’s texting away at us, and we get back to him,
he’s great with it.”
Q: Patrick tweeted what seemed to be his approval of your draft pick, what was his feedback?
REID: “We have these iPads and you’ve got everything on it. You can get video of the kids that are in the
draft playing, so he’s looked at everybody. When he gets bored, he looks at all the guys. He’s seen them
play; I didn’t see that he posted that out there, but I know he’s probably pretty excited about it.”
Q: Has Xavier run routes with Patrick down in Texas?
REID: “I don’t think they have connected yet.”
Q: Is it harder to move up in the draft since you are back-to-back Super Bowl Champions?
REID: “It was last year. I mean we were trying to move around a little bit last year, and it was just tough.
People didn’t really want to do a whole lot. Buffalo, they have a plan, they’re pretty smart guys up there,
so they’ve got their own plan and they were willing to do something, which I appreciate.”
Q: On his contract extension.
REID: “I’m grateful to the Hunts and (Chairman and CEO) Clark (Hunt) for wanting myself here, (President)
Mark (Donovan) and (General Manager) Brett (Veach), I would start with that. My wife and I love it here.
My family likes it here, and it’s important that that’s done and now we’re moving on and getting
everything rolling here. This is a good start right now.”
Q: With Hollywood Brown and Xavier, are you trying to bring top tier speed back to your team?
REID: “Both of those two (Hollywood Brown and Xavier Worthy) can run well. I think both love to play the
game and are good football players. I think that that will help us. It doesn’t hurt to have down the field
speed. We’ve functioned without the great speed down the field and done well. If you have an opportunity
to get somebody that you think is a good player, just not a speed guy but a good football player, I think
you probably need to take advantage of that.”
Q: You mentioned Xavier’s toughness, how important is that for someone with his speed and how can
that help your offense?
REID: “It’s important that you have that in the National Football League, and with his size, you can go a
couple different ways with that. He plays a tough game, but I think he’s smart with it too. You don’t want
him running into a wall and hurting himself, but at the same time, there’s a time when you have to be
able to go get it. He’s done it at that level. He’s got to do it at this level. This will be another challenge for
him, but he’s shown that he can do it at Texas.”

From Sports Radio 810 WHB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News