ADVERTISEMENT

Arch Manning Versus the SEC; Fields of Fire (via MyPerfectFranchise.Net)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or are you an experienced entrepreneur wanting to diversify? Well, Andy Luedecke can help! Andy is a long time Orangebloods member, diehard Longhorn and franchise veteran, having owned multiple franchises and businesses. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Andy, put your life and career in your own hands. 100% free, so what do you have to lose?!!
Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net
Orangebloods Owned! Contact Andy Luedecke (aka @MyPerfectFranchise.Net) anytime at:
aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net
(404) 973-9901
www.myperfectfranchise.net
image_from_ios.jpg

Projecting the QBs Arch Manning could possibly face in Texas' first season in the SEC:

No one can tell the future, but we might as well try to start acquainting ourselves with the possible QB landscape in the SEC once Texas and Oklahoma join the fold in 2024:

ALABAMA (Jalen Milroe/Ty Simpson) - We don't know that Arch Manning will be the starting QB for Texas when it enters the SEC in 2024, but we have a pretty good idea he'll be HEAVILY in the mix at the very least. As for Bama, it's a lot more up in the air. Former Texas commit Jalen Milroe (2024 RS JR) has turned into a physical beast and was the top backup option for the Tide in 2022. He threw for 297 yards, 5 TDs and 3 INTs with a 58.5% completion rate. But the Tide also has Ty Simpson (2024 RS SO), a top national recruit in the last cycle who saw action in four games in 2022. The transfer portal will also be in the mix along with two incoming freshmen who will be second-year players by the time Texas enters the SEC: Eli Holstein and Dylan Lonergan. As of now, Jalen Milroe would probably(?) be the favorite to have the job in 2024 when comparing his odds to the rest of the field, but the "field" cumulatively might have the better chance between them that one ends up starting over Milroe by then.

ARKANSAS (Malachi Singleton) - 2024 looks like it will be a transition year for the Razorbacks as 2023 is surely it's last one with KJ Jefferson, who Texas fans personally know has been a good starter in Fayetteville over the last two seasons. There are some transfer-type guys on the roster who will have some experience by the time 2024 rolls around, but it's pretty clear that many in the media and fanbase view 2023 signee Malachi Singleton as the "QB of the future".

AUBURN (Walker White) - I don't think Hugh Freeze even knows who his QB is going to be in 2024. Auburn has a QB battle on its hands. Per SI.com, "Hugh Freeze has been consistent in his messaging that he is going to ask more of his quarterbacks than they have been asked for in the past. The competition between Robby Ashford, TJ Finley, and Holden Geriner to be Hugh Freeze's first quarterback of his Auburn tenure will be the focal point of this spring." Furthermore, there is speculation that at least one of these players will eventually transfer. None of these guys were brought in by Freeze, but 2024 signee Walker White certainly was certainly a target of his, and given how things could fall with who is on the roster in 2024, it's hard to imagine him not being at least squarely in the mix to start as a freshman, especially if he is able to be an early spring enrollee.

FLORIDA (Probably not on the roster) - An unmitigated mess following the loss of a player with an elite set of tools at the very least in Anthony Richardson to the NFL draft in 2023. One backup, Jalen Kitna, was arrested and dismissed from the team following extremely concerning allegations leaving Ohio State transfer Jack Miller III to start in this year's Las Vegas Bowl, which Florida lost 30-3 against Oregon State. 5-star Jaden Rashada from the 2023 class was released from his LOI over NIL issues, leaving the only real competition to Miller -- for 2023 at least -- as Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz. Legendary former UF coach Steve Spurrier recently said in an interview, “I was talking to (former UF QB coach Shane Matthews) and he said, ‘I’m not sure we have a great quarterback right now.' I said, Shane, they told me that when I took the Florida job back in ’90. You gotta find somebody and coach the heck out of him.” Florida's starter in 2024 is very possibly someone not even on the current roster, but at this time we should probably pencil in Miller.

GEORGIA (Carson Beck) - Another team in QB transition that will have a 2023 spring QB battle (that will go a long way in determining who Texas may hypothetically see as early as 2024) as the Bulldogs move past Stetson Bennett. The contenders are all decent options in Carson Bennett (who was the backup in 2022 and will be a RS JR in 2023), Brock Vandagriff (a RS SO in 2023 who was the No.4 QB in the 2021 class) and Gunner Stockton who will be a RS FR in 2023. Most people expect that Beck is the leader to win the job this spring, and if that is the case, he'll probably be a good enough bus driver for a stacked roster that he could be the odds-on favorite to remain under center for a redshirt senior season in 2024.

KENTUCKY (Destin Wade) - With Will Levis leaving for the NFL and likely to be a very early pick, it looks like NC State transfer Devin Leary is going to be taking the reins for the Wildcats in 2023, but that will presumably be Leary's final college season. True freshman and former 4-star 6A "Mr. Football" in Tennessee, Destin Wade, started in the Music City Bowl versus Iowa in Levis' absence this year and was pretty miserable, although Mark Stoops did stand up for him regarding some of his worst perceived moments. Playing a redshirt freshman year under a experienced transfer like Leary will probably lead to Wade being a top name to draw starting duties coming into 2024. The most interesting thing on Wade's bio on the KU website is his favorite food being shrimp burgers. I had never heard of a shrimp burger. Upon further research, they look about as disgusting as they sound.

LSU (Garrett Nussmeier) - One of the easier situations to suss out, it looks like LSU will be one of the teams in a strong position at QB if they can keep Nussmeier in Baton Rouge for one more season (his redshirt sophomore campaign) as the clear backup to transfer Jayden Daniels. Nussmeier is regarded as a talented gunslinger who has had success when given the opportunity -- in fact, he broke the record for most passing yards in the second half of a game in LSU history with 298 against Georgia.

MISSISSIPPI STATE (Chris Parson) - QB Will Rogers will be a senior in 2023 and the multi-year starter does have one season of eligibility following that one, but even our own Cole Patterson who is from the area and used to cover the program is unsure he would stick around for two more years. MSU lost the player most likely to be Rogers' most obvious 2024 replacement in Sawyer Roberson to Baylor, so the most likely option would be 2023 early enrollee Chris Parson (a dual-threat Rivals three-star that some other services had as a 4-star) who's going to have the benefit of a full spring and season before getting his shot if Rogers does move on post-2023, which appears most likely at this time.

MISSOURI (Brady Cook) - Cook was a good enough player to earn the starting job in 2022 during a big three-man competition and then went on to start every game of the season as a redshirt sophomore, passing for 2724 yards (11th-most in program history and a 66.9% completion rate). It didn't necessarily translate to wins (Mizzou went 6-7 in 2022), but Cook appears serviceable on the surface and a "you can probably win with him"-type QB while probably not being a "win BECAUSE of him"-type. Until a superstar enters the ranks for the Tigers, though, Cook seems to have the job pretty well handled through 2024.

OKLAHOMA (Jackson Arnold) - The 2023 consensus 5-star is a true stud player. In fact, like Arch Manning in relation to Quinn Ewers, I would not be surprised if Arnold pushes Dillon Gabriel even as early as 2023 in his true freshman season if Gabriel does not improve from what we saw in 2022.

OLE MISS (Walker Howard) - Ole Miss will have what is being billed as one of the biggest QB battles of the 2023 offseason among a transfer we all know well in Spencer Sanders, last year's starter Jaxson Dart and former elite prospect and LSU transfer Walker Howard. Dart had ups and downs in 2022 and Spencer Sanders was likely not brought in to be a backup, which could be a sign of how Lane Kiffin's staff views their first year with Dart. And, if that demotion happens and Sanders is named starter, two things come into play: 1) (from the article linked above),"Howard was told by the Ole Miss staff that he would get a chance to compete for meaningful reps and likely sit no less than No. 2 on the depth chart." Media outlets are also saying that Howard is the "odds-on favorite" to be the direct backup to whoever the starter is if he does not win the job himself. If that is the case, then we'd probably have to guess that Kiffin wants to move on from a Dart-led offense despite a not-abysmal season in 2022 (the Rebels went 8-5); and 2) once you get the chance to start and then get benched for someone else, it doesn't seem like it's an easy road to hoe getting back in the driver's seat.

SOUTH CAROLINA (LaNorris Sellers) - It's hard to believe that Spencer Rattler has been in college since 2019. He'll be a fifth-year senior for South Carolina in 2023, having spent 3 at OU and -- after 2023 -- 2 more with the Gamecocks. Luke Doty is his backup and has been hurt in his career with injuries. Doty will be a fifth-year player by the time Sanders leaves after 2023 and, assuming health from Rattler in 2023, he'd enter that fifth year 2-4 as a starter over the whole time with with 7 TDs and 6 interceptions. 2024 commit Dante Reno has been dubbed by some media outlets as USC's "QB of the future," but Beamer was also able to flip 2023 Syracuse commit LaNorris Sellers (who some media called the "crown jewel" of Syracuse's 2023 class), at the last minute, and Sellers has already enrolled. Sellers is a big guy with physicality and a big arm who you could see the staff being more comfortable with after a full year in the program learning the system and sitting behind both Rattler and Doty.

TENNESSEE (Nico Iamaleava) - His name is pronounced ee-ah-MAH-LAY-ah-va and you should probably learn it because he's going to be a problem. One of the best 2023 recruits in the nation will push to start as a true freshman in 2023 following the loss of Hendon Hooker, and will almost certainly come into the 2024 season as a big storyline on the national CFB landscape.

TEXAS A&M (Connor Weigman) - All I have to say is that, in a rare turn of events, I actually agree with Billy Liucci. This is gonna be awesome to rekindle the A&M rivalry.

VANDERBILT (AJ Swann) - It will likely be Swann for the foreseeable future as the Elite 11 alum was able to start as a true freshman in 2022. Per the Tennesseean, "Vanderbilt football coach Clark Lea said AJ Swann will enter the offseason as the starting quarterback during his press conference Wednesday covering the early signing period. That has been the assumed outcome as Mike Wright entered the transfer portal and the Commodores have not signed a scholarship quarterback in the 2023 class."AJ Swann as a freshman was able to not just break into onto the field but become the starter for us," Lea said. "We have very high hopes for him. He's demonstrated an ability to throw the ball on the perimeter, throw catchable balls, lead the offense. That's huge for our growth here from year two and year three is him heading into the offseason as the starting quarterback."

BOOK REVIEW

Fields of Fire by Ryan Steck

51nqaG7vRfL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

FROM THE PUBLISHER: Waiting to be deployed on a critical mission, elite Marine Raider Matthew Redd stops to help a stranger and wakes up hours later to learn his team was wiped out in an ambush. Unable to remember anything, Redd can’t deny the possibility that he’s somehow responsible for the information leak that led to the massacre. He’s given a deal to avoid a charge of treason, but it means walking away from the Corps and the life he loved.

As he faces his loss, Matty gets a cryptic message from his adoptive father, J. B.: “Trouble’s come knocking. . . . Might need your help.” He points his truck home to rural Montana, only to discover that J. B. is dead and the explanation for his death is far from satisfying. Determined to dig up the truth, Redd uncovers a dark global conspiracy with his hometown at the center and no team at his back―except one he might find among past friends, old enemies, and new allies, if he can figure out who to trust.

ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Just what I need, another mystery/thriller series to follow involving a troubled, yet crime-solving savant ex-military officer who always finds himself in a world of shit in post-war civilian life, but manages to consistently shoot and/or fight his way out. Matthew Redd is an awesome protagonist, and you can see why the book got such good reviews as the debut from Ryan Steck. When guys like CJ Box and Jack Carr speak so glowingly of it, I'm going to read it 10 times out of 10, and I'm glad I did. I give it 4 stars.

- Alex's Daily Short Reading List (updated 2-16-2023)
Books I've read or listened to on Audiobook since I've been sharing these reviews on OB (this list is not encompassing of all of my favorite books although it certainly includes a few of them - books I recommend reading/listening to start at 3.5 stars - I will review every book I read, but only list those that I awarded 3.5 stars and up here).

Lonesome Dove (5 stars)
Joe Pickett Series by CJ Box (5 stars)
The Undoing Project (5 stars)
The Accidental Superpower (5 stars)
I Am Pilgrim (5 stars)
Empire of the Summer Moon (5 stars)
Gridiron Genius (5 Stars)
The Cartel (5 stars)
Disunited Nations (5 stars)
Lone Survivor (5 stars)
The Terminal List Series (5 stars)
The Son (4.75 stars)
The Lincoln Highway (4.75 stars)
The 4-Hour Work Week (4.75 stars)
Astroball (4.75 stars)
Project Hail Mary (4.75 stars)
Dueling With Kings (4.5 stars)
Wanderers (4.5 stars)
Back of Beyond (4.25 stars)
Blue Heaven (4.25 stars)
The Border (4.25 stars)
Wrath of the Khans - Dan Carlin Podcast Series (4.25 stars)
Unfreedom of the Press (4.25 stars)
The Time it Never Rained (4.25 stars)
Hard Country (4.25 stars)
This Tender Land (4 stars)
Supermarket (4 stars)
Ready Player Two (4 stars)
When Christmas Comes (4 stars)
Hollywood Park (4 stars)
Fields of Fire (4 stars)
The Great Alone (3.75 stars)
Hunting El Chapo (3.75 stars)
The President is Missing (3.75 stars)
The First Conspiracy (3.75 stars)
REAMDE (3.75 stars)
American Wolf (3.75 stars)
The End is Always Near (3.75 stars)
Second Wind (3.75 stars)
The End of the World is Just the Beginning (3.75 stars)
A Strange Habit of Mind (3.75 stars)
The River (3.75 stars)
The Lost City of the Monkey God (3.5 stars)
The Summer That Melted Everything (3.5 stars)
The North Water (3.5 stars)
Deep Survival (3.5 stars)
The Boy From the Woods (3.5 stars)
The Frackers (3.5 stars)
Arliss Cutter Series (3.5 stars)

AS ALWAYS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY BOOKS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND, PREFERABLY THAT ARE AVAILABLE ON AUDIOBOOK. MANY OF THE BEST BOOKS ON THIS LIST HAVE COME VIA RECOMMENDATIONS ON ORANGEBLOODS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News