ADVERTISEMENT

At Emergency Vet Clinic

GO_HORNS_GO

Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
United States
Having to put my 11.5 year old chocolate lab down.

This sucks but he was suffering. Hoped to make it through the night but here I am.

Edit: So I was working in Austin yesterday and got a call from my wife about 7 pm. She said she had let our dogs out (3 labs and 1 Westie) and she ran to HEB. She got home about an hour later and started to feed the dogs and noticed that Beau hadn't come up for dinner which for any lab is abnormal! She went around to the back side of our pool and found him there, laying on his side in almost a catatonic state and shaking (seizures maybe) nonstop.

She was able to drag him into the house because it was starting to rain. She called me and I left Austin immediately and go home around 9:30 pm and she had him on the floor in our kitchen, still on his side (hadn't moved since she got him inside) and was still shaking. Wouldn't look at anyone, wouldn't even try to eat or drink nor wag his tail and couldn't get up or move.

We got his mattress/bedding and put him on it and took him into our bedroom. I was hoping something might change during the night and maybe we could get him to our family vet early this morning.

Around midnight, the shaking got worse (had never stopped) and texted a vet buddy of mine and he told me of a 24/7 emergency hospital. We got him down there quickly and the vet took one look at him and confirmed our worst thoughts that it was time to put him down. He said it could be a ton of different things but in the end, the results were still going to be the same and I would just have a hefty vet bill and a dog that suffered longer than it needed to suffer. We wasted no time in the decision.

Crazy thing is, just on Sunday, he was running around, chasing tennis balls, swimming with our 2 other labs and two days later, we find him in this state. It wasn't gradual nor were there any signs we noticed. Just so damn quick. My wife is torn up because this dog and her were best friends and she feels horrible that he was laying outside, in the rain while this all happened.

I can't say enough nice things about Vergi 24/7 Vet Clinic (off I-10 near Goode Co. BBQ). Very compassionate and professional.

RIP Beau! Love you bud!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News